[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shop fuckery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: killermechanicadult.jpg (109 KB, 325x683) Image search: [Google]
killermechanicadult.jpg
109 KB, 325x683
>Buy used 1990 Miata with 110k miles for 1500$
>It has a serious lack of power issue and take it to the shop after I drive it around for like 2000-3000 miles
>Turns out after looking into it its a short nose crankshaft issue
>Oh well I'll pay them the 1000$ that I need to to have them fix it
>Car is in the shop for two entire work weeks
>They call me up and say "Oh yeah its ready"
>As I'm checking out and theyre giving me the keys back they go "Oh yeah you have a blown head gasket but its not a big deal, just put some of that stuff you get at autozone in there"

So do you guys think this shop fucked up? They had the car apart and didn't tell me about the bad head gasket until afterwards? Then they told me it wasn't a big deal, which it was, because the car IMMEDIATELY overheated and now I'm out an extra thousand dollars.
>>
Lol they had your engine out and neglected to call you and ask if you wanted it replaced?

You got FUCKED mate, now you gotta pay labor all over again just for an engine pull
>>
>>13872960
Yeah that's what I thought. There's no way I can bitch at them and demand them to tell me to take it all apart again for free?
>>
>>13872963
That's shitty. Start writing bad Yelp reviews until they do it for the cost of parts.
>>
>>13872975
That's what I was thinking because they're the highest rated mechanics on yelp in my town, so some bad publicity might hurt them hard.
>>
>>13872979

Blackmail them dick pics
>>
>>13872995
Is that really a punishment though?
>>
>>13872942
Why does that mechanic have a pipe wrench?
>>
>>13873103
That's not a mechanic
>>
>>13872942

Sounds sketchy as fuck.
>>
Where's the bad crank? Have you compression tested yourself?
>>
What were the original symptoms, OP? I just bought a 90 miata and it takes a good 10 seconds to get to 10mph from a stop and I'm thinking it's the crank issue.
>>
They forgot to tighten my oil filter.
>inb4 change your own oil
My dad offered to pay for my oil change if I would take it to a shop.
>>
>>13872942
They may not have intentionally fucked you.
They just dont value you as a customer.
Find a better garage.
>>
>>13872942
You should have just gone for a 1.8 swap from the beginning
>>
>>13872942
They reamed your boipussy.
Can you still walk, and take solid dumps?
>>
File: 20150409_032337.jpg (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
20150409_032337.jpg
144 KB, 640x480
>paid $1000
>car is still fucked

people have been killed for far far less OP
im just sayin

I still thank the ex-con mechanics that have fucked me over dry in the past for giving me the motivation to learn auto mechanics.
>>
What exactly did you pay $1000 for?

If it didn't require the engine being out of the car or the head being taken off then no, why would they think to do it.

If the engine did come out of the car then you should talk to the owner of the shop.
>>
>>13873587
The crank nose isn't long enough to hold the woodruff key that the front sprocket fits on.
Its held on with a bolt.
Quite literally, shit as fuck
>>
>>13872942
>charge you to replace a belt/do some other work
>after you pay
>"btw your motor is fucked because of some unrelated issue" knowing full well that you probably wouldn't have gone forward with the original repair had you known that the motor needs to be rebuilt/replaced anyway
Thats standard shop fuckery
>>
>>13872960
Seriously. Head gasket is a <$20 part. Getting to it just requires undoing many parts is all which is why it costs so much to pay someone else to do it. And you don't use fucking instant gasket silicone shit from autozone when the real thing doesn't cost anything either.
>>
>>13873620
Pic related
>>
>>13872963
Shit nigga if they are recommending using silicone in place of a real head gasket... I don't think you want them working on your car even if it was for free.
>>
>>13873620
You didn't answer my question so I'll ask again

What exactly did you pay for? What did they do to fix your issue?
>>
>>13873643
Its not just one 20 quid gasket though is it!
You got, intake and exhaust gaskets, cam cover gasket, head bolts, and probably an oil and coolant change.
AND that just replaces the gasket. The head will probably need machining, and the problem that caused the engine to over heat needs sorting.
So chuck in a new water pump and cam belt change, maybe a new radiator.

All that + garage labour charges makes fixing it a waste of money.
Just drop a 1.8 in it.
>>
>>13873652
That's not what they recommended.

And they don't have to take the engine out to do a headgasket literally no one takes the engine out.

OP is just a retard. There's no reason they should have done the headgasket at the same time. No reason at all.

If you want bitch and cry about labor then buy a set of tools and get to work.
>>
>>13873690
>And they don't have to take the engine out to do a headgasket literally no one takes the engine out.
No one said that, but if it's already out...

Also what if it's a subaru.
>>
>>13873690
>If you want bitch and cry about labor then buy a set of tools and get to work.
Just do this. Shops are useless and trying to call them out on bullshit will lead absolutely nowhere. Cut your losses and take your life lesson.
>>
>>13873712
>call them out on bullshit
There's no bullshit here. There's no reason they should have done the head gasket. OP would be paying the same amount of money whether they asked him or not.

OP should know his head gasket is blown anyway and he shouldn't have bought a piece of shit 1.6 short nose crank miata.

Why is it always fucking idiots that don't know shit about cars who complain about mechanics? Hmmm I wonder. Like why are you even on this board if you can't self diagnose a blown head gasket.
>>
>>13873747
No, if they had told him the headgasket was blown he probably wouldn't have had the work he was doing done. He would have put his thousand bux toward the rebuild/replace motor hes going to have to get anyway.
>>
>>13873747

There are two fixes for the crank issue - new crank or new engine. If I'm not mistaken, replacing the crankshaft would involve removing the head. But I may be wrong.
>>
>>13873698
It wasn't already out. They don't need to take the engine out to weld onto the crank nose or whatever they did.

They probably noticed oil in the water when they removed the radiator to get to the crank sprocket.

>Wah wah mechanics are evil and it cost so much money everything I cant do myself should just be free.
>>
>>13873747
>why are you even on this board if you can't self diagnose a blown head gasket.
Most guys here are it consultants.
They know nothing about cars, apart from what they look like if they were in a film they like.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.