[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
used vehicals general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: wheelies.webm (864 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
wheelies.webm
864 KB, 400x400
i've been looking for a motorcycle on craigslist for $2,000 for a week and met no luc, what are some tips to actually buy a bike.
>>
>>13872870
bump
>>
Have more money
>>
Buy at end of riding season. This is especially true for dealers looking to get rid of inventory. I got my last bike from a dealer at almost 30% off the listed price (which was KBB price) plus got free winter storage.

Know market value. Look at KBB, ads in your area for similar bikes.

When you find a bike, give the VIN to VINbro to check out history.

Make sure you get clean title.
>>
>>13873069
b-buh I don't want to spend too much money on muh first bike
>>
so I found a ninja250 at a dealershit for $2,000 at 13k miles

is it a bad idea to get this for my first bike?
how should I try and get them to lower the price if it's too high? (I got cash to pay it upfront)
>>
>>13874252
What year
That's too high most likely
>>
>>13874252

what year? If it's an EX250F, and a recent one, that sounds /alright/, you could do better.
>>
>>13874358
>>13874375
2005, what price should I get it down to? I was hoping to pay ~1,700 for it (I want to replace some parts they might've skimped on) but it might seem too aggressive

its in florida so riding season is still on
>>
>>13874388

That's actually about right for a 2005. My 90 in excellent condition is worth 1500 dollars, so I assume a dealership 250 would be worth around 1700.
>>
File: IMG_1632.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1632.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13872870
Tips?
Buy at the beginning of winter (now)
Private sellers are usually cheaper
Stay away from carburetors if you're new
Don't buy anything with poor modifications, it's been through hell I promise.
Up your budget to 2,500 if you want any luck. Go on CL looking for one around 3k, you can talk them down.
Bring someone who knows what to look for when you go to buy it.
Try to stay away from anything over 15k miles, and don't bother with anything over 20k
Rebuilt titles aren't always that bad. I was in a front end collision at 40mph and managed to make it into a perfectly fine streetfighter, never a minutes trouble.
>>
File: IMG_1632.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1632.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13874436
fucking iphone, guess I live in australia
>>
>>13874416
so I should try and haggle it down to $1,700? even $1800 is okay for me if they find the first price not okay
>>13874436
I get to up my budget next paycheck (this friday) and continually up it until I find a used starter bike that ain't shit. Id rather pay low for it as its gonna be my first bike and go through hell.
thanks for the advice though, i've seen a couple posting saying stuff like "carburetor just needs to be rebuilt/cleaned!" and just left them be
>>
>>13874480

Yeah totally, haggle what you can.
>>
File: IMG_1738.jpg (74 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1738.jpg
74 KB, 640x1136
>>13874480
Don't spend too much on your first bike. That was my first bike and I payed $2,400. That's why I was wasn't heartbroken about the accident.
And yeah those posts are sometimes legit but it's always more work than you think so I'd stay away
>>
>>13874495
if I manage to get it down to $1,800 what does dealershit add on in fees normally?
>>
>>13874543

>tax
>title transfer fees
>documation fees

That's what my stealership charged me when I purchased my bike.
>>
>>13874551
>documentation fees
thanks; oh well, its better than going through private seller when I never had a motorcycle and have little idea what to look for or fix.

does the dealershit normally inspect the bike? can I be secure in thinking the bike is OK?
>>
>>13874571
From a dealership, yes. Their reputation is on the line so they actually give a shit. That's exactly why they charge more.
>>
File: zyzzsmile.jpg (16 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
zyzzsmile.jpg
16 KB, 600x450
>>13874584
>mfw I won't have to worry about being scammed or buying a bike that needs tons more work than the guy said
fuck it, the dealershit seems like a great idea for a first bike
>>
>>13872870

do you have your endorsement? do you have any gear? what area are you from?
>>
>>13874653
yep, yep, south florida
>>
also the dealershit is 40 min away, if I never rode in traffic should I just get it delivered?
>>
>>13874810
If it is streets, just ride on first gear. --It WILL heat up like a motherfucker-- If highway, find a friend or tow it.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.