[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EGRs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: 1446070324633.jpg (308 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
1446070324633.jpg
308 KB, 1024x681
What are the cons of deleting a EGR system from a car? Will I have to use a higher grade fuel?
>>
>>13872787
it will be harder to pass smog if they test in your area.

I personally found cars that had the EGR system took significantly longer to reach operational temperature : which to me matters since i let the car warm up about 5 minutes before driving it to make sure everything is warm and the oil flows freely.

It will not make you need to use a higher grade fuel. It may also improve performance as you are not injecting dirty low o2 air back into the metering system.

My car dumps the EGR right back before the air filter, so it gets pretty dirty in a 6-8 month window, making me replace them a lot more than i really think i should, but the filters are cheap (purchased in bulk from japan, 24 in a box was only like 30 bucks)
>>
>>13872817
Will it increase the change that the engine will knock?
>>
>>13872943
no. cars with EGR don't have egr on at startup or at WOT so theyre not tuned with egr necessary to prevent knock
>>
Sneaky? Remove valve, fab block plate size of flange. Bolt back on. Now nobody knows.

Best? Remove valve and all piping, plug exhaust bung, plug vac source, plug intake.
>>
>>13872787
I love deloreans
>>
>>13872787
DELETE IT

you won't regret it. in combination with a PCV catch can it will keep your intake manifold clean and carbon free. increases your output of NOx gasses but oh well. I passed emissions testing in Washington state with no EGR system, YMMV though.
>>
File: valvedirt3.jpg (72 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
valvedirt3.jpg
72 KB, 800x600
In newer petrol fueled cars with direct injection, EGR is used also for cooling the combustion, thus reducing NOx emissions. Newer DI engines are built from the beginning to have EGR so deleting it might lead to too high combustion temperatures and possibly cause damage. There is also a heat exchanger in the EGR pipe (or pipes if turbo cars have both high and low pressure EGR systems) and it helps to heat up the coolant during cold starts. This is important for diesels especially, since in cold climates they may not reach the full operating temperatures at all without it.

In older cars EGR delete is pretty harmless and a good measure among with cleaning the intake. The restrictions caused by soot are a serious issue and can cause sever damage to valves. Also large chunks of soot may separate from the buildups and cause damage. This is very relevant in diesel/DI engines, where there is no spray of fuel from indirect injection or the carb that would constantly clean the intake. DI petrol engines require EGR badly, as there are more NOxes from the higher temperature combustion and more particles in the exhaust. Diesel engine would pretty much roll coal if the AFR would be set to stoichiometric values. Therefore there is much more air in the charge causing the combustion to be hotter and therefore more NOx.

In modern cars EGR can be turned off from the ECU. Older cars will in some cases detect the EGR delete and light up the engine warning light. I would still delete it in older cars, diesel or petrol, and somehow get around the engine warning light. As a personal point of interest, the oncoming S-FR will have EGR due to DI, and being interested in actually buying that meme car when it is released I am also willing to clean the intake regularly. Or deleting the EGR if safe&possible. Buying a post-recall VW TDI would be stupid as the fixes are likely to be done on increasing the EGR operation.
>>
>>13874533
How could egr possibly reduce temperatures.
>>
>>13874544
By reducing the amount of O2 in the charge by replacing it with CO2 and shit.
>>
File: soot.jpg (140 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
soot.jpg
140 KB, 1024x768
Top end performance might be compromised...
>>
>>13875306
what is this?
>>
>>13875312
>what is filename.
>>
File: 10.jpg (214 KB, 1793x1004) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
214 KB, 1793x1004
>>13875329
>putting periods in greentext
>>
>>13875334
>I do what I want.
>>
>>13872787
>tfw someone reposts a photo you posted
>>
>>13873108
That's not a DeLorean. It's a US market 1976-1977 Lancia Scorpion.
>>
>>13872787

>>taking away your factory Direct Gas Injection

Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>13875522
tfw its a good pic
>>
>>13872787
Fuck, that's a cool looking car.
>>
>>13872787
Delorean's little bro.
>>
>>13875522
wait, did you take that photo?
>>
>>13872965
Not necessarily true, having an active egr can help alleviate knock, however that is usually in a higher performance motor
>>
File: 1366848068644.jpg (349 KB, 2500x1674) Image search: [Google]
1366848068644.jpg
349 KB, 2500x1674
>>13875544
no, but to my knowledge, I was the first person to post it here. Was a thread months back about our dream cars

>>13875542
DeLorean's OLDER brother. The Lancia was released in 1975 as a 1976 model. The DeLorean wasn't released until 1981.

There's an anon here who has a whole collection of Lancia Scorpions and I am super jelly.
>>
File: IMG_0141.jpg (43 KB, 332x332) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0141.jpg
43 KB, 332x332
To the best of my knowledge it depends on the car and the engine management system. I Don't have an EGR or an emissions stuff in my track car but my tunner had to tune around it
>>
>>13872994

The EGR gasket on the Mitsubishi 6G73 had a center section that was almost perfect for blocking with a US Dime. It was seriously a perfect cutout.

Or was it a Penny.

It's been a while since I tried that.
>>
>>13872787
>What are the cons of deleting a EGR system from a car?
Increased combustion temperatures and possible engine damage.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.