[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C/o/nfessions >be nocar >all i want is a manual for my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 251x211) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 251x211
C/o/nfessions

>be nocar
>all i want is a manual for my first automobile
>willed a 01 F150 with only 60k miles but automatic
>hate driving but eternally grateful
>can't trade it/sell it cus sentimental value

What do you have on your chest, anon?
>>
>>13870824
i am too poor to afford a car that won't break and have no mechanical knowledge to fix one so i'm stuck driving a shitbox
>>
>>13870824
>given truck worth more than most of the faggots on this board's annual income
>hate it because it's not manual
>be faggot

Guess what nigger, manual's aren't as great as people make them out to be. They're real fun when you're hooning about or on the track, but 90% of the time they're just an inconvenience.
>>
>28
>no license
>bought used car
>sitting in driveway
>no friends/family to learn how to drive

Pretty sweet situation I got myself into
>>
>>13870824
I got my permit at 15 but didn't get my actual license until 18
>>
>I have never driven a Honda/Acura. Any Honda/Acura. Ridden in them, but never driven one

>>13870848
any local driving school's?
>>
>>13870824
Drive that shit to the ground.

>I fucked in my car for the first time last Wednesday
>Owned car for over two years
>AW11
>Like 10 sq. feet of cabin space
>I'm 6' 3"
>>
>>13870860
M-F is locked up but if I can find one that's open on the weekend I'll jump on it.
>>
>>13870824
>Drive a -$500 miata with no roof in Florida
>Floorpans are so rotted that the seats are held in by two bolts each
>Still end up giving rides to everyone I know because I'm the only one who actually maintains his car
>Car has a strange, unpinnable rattle that doesn't change based on rpm or power delivery, it just goes CHSHHSHHKSHHK all the time

Still love it to death though.
>>
>>13870846
If you don't give in to the retards around you and stop creeping forward at red lights every few seconds, it's not so bad anymore. I have literally no problem with my half hour traffic filled commute in manual, and I'd rather deal with it being slightly more work some of the time and get to beat it around occasionally than have convenience but MUCH less fun the entire time I'm driving it if it was an auto.

Plus it's an underpowered shitbox. It needs all the power it can get and having an automatic would sap a lot out of it.
>>
>>13870881
Are you confessing that your Miat is a shit?
>>
>>13870892
Look dude, I had to have a manual for my first car too because racecar and it was great. except when I got stuck in traffic, I had to drive in the city, needed someone to drive my car for me. It was an inconvenience more than once.

Like I said, for tracks and hooning standard transmissions are awesome. But for a daily the automatic is where it's at. Anyone who says otherwise is just a meme spouting aspie.
>>
>drives someone elses car
>automatic
>bad condition
>been poorfag whole life
>no license
but
>getting license
>going to somehow get an /o/ related career
>don't know how but believe in myself for the first time because I love cars
feels good f@m
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 600x887
I bought a motorcycle and made heaps of new friends and only realised I forgot to let them know in any way that I'm a homo, it's now been over a year since I met most of them and I think it'd be weird now
>>
>>13870824
I let my fist car die just because the only way of getting it going again involves a Frankenstein of rare and bespoke parts
>>
>>13870948
I don't think I'd be weirded out if one of my riding buddies came out after knowing him for a year or so. Most of the guys I ride with don't give a shit about much as long as you like to ride.
>>
>>13870948
do they haggle you about not having a gf ?
if not no reason to bring it up
>>
File: 1409823922246.png (148 KB, 449x666) Image search: [Google]
1409823922246.png
148 KB, 449x666
>24
>went to driving school
>everything is fine and seems pretty easy
>failed 2 times at the exam
>haven't practiced for a 2 mounth already >don't wanna go anymore, but have wasted shitload of money for the school
>feel like shit
>every fucking day my friends and acquaintances ask me if I got my license already
>>
>>13870859
Me but 16 and 19
>>
I need to sell my FD because I can't afford it, but I can't do it.
>>
>>13870835
Because everyone with knowledge about cars was born with it?
Buy a civic with a 5 speed and fix the thing when it breaks. Drive the truck as your daily transport
>>
I genuinely enjoy automatics with >300hp, point an squirt brainless fun
>>
>>13871024
where are you located anon

>would you let her go to another br/o/?
>>
>>13871011
Keep trying. Friend of mine failed 5 times over pointless shit. She recently passed when she went to a different DMV with friendlier staff.
>inb4 woman driver
>>
>>13871170
>a different DMV with friendlier staff.
this I swear some testers have a stick up their ass
>>
Bought a Miata and fixed it up, gave it a complete paint job. Now all I want to do is park it and do the same thing on another shitbox. I think I have a problem.
>>
>>13870928
Mein negro
>>
Subarus have terrible interiors.
>>
I gave in trying to make my crown victoria nice.
I'm just going to buy a very very low mile car and say fuck wrenching. I'll fix the problems as they show up with brand new parts.

Instead of dealing with rusty shitty bolts or plastics that break off because the car is 15 years old.
>>
File: 1446028619064.jpg (344 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1446028619064.jpg
344 KB, 1600x1200
I can't heel-toe.

surely it's because the accelerator pedal is lower than the brake r-right?
>>
>>13871026
youre a fucking civic
>>
>>13871476
That's my issue.
>>
File: 1291393378739_7930657[1].png (28 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1291393378739_7930657[1].png
28 KB, 420x294
>been driving for over 20 years
>been a delivery driver for over 15 years
>every single van was a manual
>owned 16 cars since i have been driving
>9 manuals and 7 automatics
>currently own 3 sports cars
>wrx, supra, m3
>all automatic
>the reaction i get when i tell someone any one of them is auto
>like i took a shit in their breakfast
>>
>>13871476
>>13871497
i know that feel. its a very jerky, annoying feel.
>>
>>13871476
>surely it's because the accelerator pedal is lower than the brake r-right?

No, if anything that should make it somewhat easier.

I can't do it either though, at least not in my current car. Every time I try and rotate my foot around so my heel can reach the accelerator, my knee hits the steering wheel. Simply ain't enough space.
>>
>buy expensive car to feel better about life
>still feel empty inside
>tfw crippling depression just makes me feel guilty about owning it
>>
>>13871476
most cars suck for it, no shame if you need to modify your pedals to do it

that said there's almost no reason to heel toe in daily driving unless you're a tofu delivery boy in the mountains
>>
>brake and gas pedals too close together
>closest thing I can do to heel toeing is using the right side of my foot for gas and the left side of my foot for brake

>ride the clutch like a mother fucker in bumper to bumper
>>
>>13870824
Look at it this way anon,you now have the perfect tow vehicle for a track hack.
>>
>>13870824
put in a sequential gear.
your grandpop will be proud.
>>
>>13870928
I 100% hate autos not because they make driving less fun, but because they are too stupid for their own good. I didn't notice it before but now that I've dailyed a manual I notice the car down shifting all the time and then go back to the right gear, making driving annoying and uncomfortable.
>>
>>13871298
I had a black dude named Tyrone that looked like Doakes from Dexter
He was cool as fuck desu senpai
>>
>>13871623
yeah, just one sequential gear.

Probably 2-3 would be best
>>
I secretly hate my car, but I can't really complain for a car I'm only $1.5k into

>>13871476
my friend says his focus st has bad pedal placement for heel toe
>>
>>13870996
>be pedo
>fap to cartoons because raping babies is evil
>friends give me shit for not having a gf
>they probably won't even care but I can't bring myself to admit to thoughtcrime in public
Wat do?
>>
>>13871673
I got this middle-aged white guy who pointed out any and all flaws. Real hard ass about driving.

I passed first try. I did get marked down for taking a turn too wide and not shoulder checking once, but I've worked on that since.
>>
>>13871545
Which gen supra? And is it tarbo?
>>
>>13870824
A truck is better than a manual car for the public street. Now you are free to buy a real race car.
>>
>>13870824
You lucked out honestly, you have a second car for your DD when you're working on your real car, and if you live somewhere that gets snow, you've got your winter beater already so you can get yourself a nice car.

My c/o/nfessions
>leased by car with plans to buy it at the end
>Regret it every day except the days I go out for a drive in it
>Going to end up paying 6k more than I should have for it at the end
>whatever, I get free services for 5 years and I busted a back rim on a pothole
>toyobro said "S'cool" and replace the rim/tire for free
>maybe it wasn't such a bad thing
>>
>always wanted a powerful fast car because MURICAN MUSCLE YEEEE
>get my license and don't have money
>buy an old lady Buick
>love driving my comfymobile and now can't see driving anything else

help me
>>
>be 18
>fail first test after 2 years of permit
>next test is in 5 months
>can't hold out that long
I just wanna be with my 4runner
>>
>>13871759
Why the fuck would you ever tell people about your sexual preferences unless you're about to engage in sexual contact or refuse sexual contact with them? Why the hell should anyone apart from your sexual partners know what gives you a boner?
>>
I'd drive a pickup truck if I lived in the US because they make sense there, but I'm forced to bash them on /o/ nonetheless because quite a few pickupfags fail to realize that they make no sense whatsoever as private vehicles in much of the rest of the world, especially Europe.

Also I acknowledge BMWs and LS engines as great pieces of engineering, but I'd never use either of them based on their popularity and popular perception. V8 exhaust notes in particular drive me away from liking certain cars because of the usual kind of people that like them.
>>
>>13870928
you're a retard if you needed someone to drive for you cause you can't drive manual in traffic
though traffic is kind of annoying in a manual, lots of clutch riding ;_;
>>
>>13870824
>want to buy my first own car after driving econoboxes as student for the last years
>in love with the 135i coupe facelift-version (n55)
>working as engineer for a VW development-partner, people get laid off in other companies, jobs are kinda at risk
>have to settle for a 120d coupe because it's 10k less and the most reasonable choice

grew up with bmw's, when i got my licence the first car i drove was my dads e92 335i, i guess i'll never drive a car that fast again
>>
>me
>19
>have 6 cars
>Dad makes me pay rent to store them in his yard
>only one runs and drives
>>
>>13873240
Are you my brother 4 years ago ?
>>
File: wakemeup.jpg (21 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
wakemeup.jpg
21 KB, 600x330
>work in garage
>too poor to afford own car
>spend every day raging internally at people who mistreat their vehicles
>>
>>13873040
>5 months
Why?
>>
I have a tendency to drive when I'm emotionally distressed to the point that I start to have strong impulses
to ram my car into other cars, structures, people, etc. on top of that I sleep roughly 4 hours a night, so
I rarely feel fit to drive whatsoever.
>>
I'm too scared to actually start doing shit on my own to my car. There's a ticking in my 3800 which I go full wot all the time but I'm too scared to take off even the valve covers because I'm too scared of fucking up shit. I know that I'll need to replace the gasket cause it's 10 years old and torque everything to spec which those specs I can find, but I'm just too scared of fucking something up.
>>
>2 door
>rwd
>v8
>s-10
>automatic

I can't drive manual and I dont care automatic trans does everything you need it to manual just gives show-offs and ego boner.
>>
>>13871759
>wat do
Kill yourself
>>
>>13873541
>I'm to scared to even take off the vavle covers

Really? Working on a 3800 is really easy. Great engines to learn how to wrench.
>>
>>13870824
I have something I really need to get off my chests.

I'm sorry but you are a fucking retard anon for having an autotragic car
>>
Only know limited shit about cars. Want learn more and maybe buy a rwd manual shitbox. Don't really know where to start. Found a few miatas in the area. Have no idea how to judge quality or even drive a manual.
>>
>>13870824
I just want my father to love me.
I thought cars could be common ground but I was wrong.
>>
>>13873352
Because the DMV sucks. I failed my first test and the next test was 2 months later. Lesson learned, unless you're quite pacient, don't fail the first time
>>
i don't want to take my drivers test because i don't know how to park
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-16-21-46-44.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-16-21-46-44.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>13870824
Max is that you?
>>
>end of shift
>hear coworker and friend talking
>'yea that reminds me of a vine i saw where two guys bump ihto eachother and the one guy starts scooping spaghetti into his pockets
>'lol i saw that so randumb xxxxdddd

.....just

has it really been 4 years since i started lurking? am i really surrounded by so many normals?
>>
File: plsmagicconch.jpg (377 KB, 2940x1746) Image search: [Google]
plsmagicconch.jpg
377 KB, 2940x1746
>>13870824
I'm currently pushing myself through college as an ME major with the sweet, sweet feel of a suede leather GT3 steering wheel in my hands as my only motivator. I literally have no other motivation other than one day owning my dream car, and nothing else. sometimes feelsgoodman, sometimes feelsbadman.
>>
File: 1436124057910.jpg (48 KB, 645x552) Image search: [Google]
1436124057910.jpg
48 KB, 645x552
>20 year old NEET (occasionally deliver weed for a bit of pocket money)
>been posting on /o/ since 2009
>have my license and drive other peoples cars, but can't afford my own car (insurance here is fucking ridiculous anyway)
>took a bunch of high school auto classes and did an apprenticeship in a shop, so I can wrench pretty well
>saving up for an FB RX7 to learn how2dorito and maybe DD since I wouldnt need to put a bunch of kilometers on it anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20151002_213617.jpg (2 MB, 4096x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_213617.jpg
2 MB, 4096x2368
>drove my car with no plate when I first bought it
>>13870862
Go on......
>>
>>13876630

I did that on friday night, no insurance, on wet rainy grounds, with a car that fishtails, with a defogger that doesn't work, with a 6 puck stage 3 clutch that I'm still getting used to. The shit you do for pussy, mang.

There was a cop parked across a bar parking lot facing me and I was on first gear at 5K with my straight piped Greddy exaust howling while trying to wipe my mirror lol.
>>
>>13876680

Window*
>>
Holy shit the whole manual in traffic meme is cancer, i live and drive in LA and traffic is fucking traffic be it Manual or automatic there is mo fucking difference holy shit, is everyone so fat and unhealthy that it fatigues you to fucking move your leg a half a foot?
>>
>>13876026
borderline Driver autist tier
so good job bro
>>
>>13873028
nothing wrong with that man! comfymobiles is a way of life. you can never leave. never. caddys and lincolns and buicks for the rest of your life.
>>
>>13870824
I'm a bicycle mechanic by trade
>>
I know basically nothing about cars.
I don't even own a car, I just borrow my dad's Lancer.

I don't even service it myself.
>>
>>13871321
Same here! Just finished my miata two weeks ago, and now I want to work on a old mini, but don't want to sell the miata
>>
>>13870928

It depends where you live to. If you're in san francisco or somewhere like that with a lot of steep hills and heavy traffic I would definitely own an auto. Where I live and when i commute, traffic isn't that bad so driving a standard doesn't bother me at all, it's just second nature.
>>
>>13871759

Never tell anyone, and if you ever feel like you're going to hurt an actual child just jump off a bridge. Sorry for your lot in life bro, that's a short straw to draw.
>>
>>13873216

I wanted an LCI 335i and ended up with an LCI 328xi sedan instead. I thought I would regret not going with the racecar but so far I don't. I got a good deal, CPO and no turbo worries. Still feels great to drive. Enjoy your 120d eurobro.
>>
>>13871170
>>13871298
Yeah pretty much. The DMV is exclusively staffed by road law autists. When I went to get my license I failed 4 times for bullshit reasons like going 3mph over the speed limit on a downhill and not coming to an 'absolute' complete stop at a stop sign.
>>
>>13871476
It's supposed to be lower. Ideal placement is so the throttle at rest is level with your brake pedal when you are pushing it as hard as you can. You should get all downshifts done before you start turning in and trailing off the brakes. Most street cars do have them too far apart though, a throttle pedal extension is nice.
>>
>>13873028
Maybe buy an old Cadillac then? Luxury and muscle?
>>
>>13871589
Use the side of your foot. Find a corner to jam your heel into in the floor and keep it there. It is nearly impossible to maintain a constant brake pressure if you pick your heel up and actually try to use your heel on the throttle.
>>
I just got into a fender bender a couple of minutes ago. It was my fault as I live in Florida and I was the person to hit him from behind. The guy was older, got out of his car, took one look at his car, noticed there was no damage to his rear bumper, waved his hand, and then got in his car and drove away.

I drove home. my car SEEMS to be running fine and it got me home. My front bumper is certainly a little loose when I tug on it, and there's a bit of a crack where I hit his trailer hitch.

What do I do? I'm pretty shaken up right now I'm trying to calm down. Do I let my insurance company know? Do I file a police report? Do I have a mechanic check for damages?
Help.
>>
>>13879490
Yeah tell your insurance company how you don't know how to drive and are a hazzard on the road. Call the police on yourself too, for good measure, I'm sure you've don't something illegal lately let it out.
>>
>>13870892
Nigger, thirty minutes is nothing, try stockholm after work, we move like 2km/hour and it's just stop and go traffic
>>
File: 1367158605634.gif (2 MB, 210x155) Image search: [Google]
1367158605634.gif
2 MB, 210x155
>>13870824
It's been two weeks of trying to train myself, and I still can't do it.

I still can't double clutch fast/consistently enough to make a difference in my shift times.
>>
>>13871759
commit suicide immediately.
>>
>bought an AW11 because I couldn't find an 86 anywhere
>restored it faithfully for a year
>put so much time and effort into it
>86 pops up for sale a few days after I finish
>suddenly unsatisfied with my MR2

maybe it's going to be one big cycle.
>>
I want a manual transmission to see how fun it really is, but after being stuck in Houston traffic for 4 hours a day, I think my leg would just fall off.
>>
>>13880458
There's no reason to double clutch upshifts unless you have a truck from the 60s with no synchros
>>
>>13879490
>>13879490

Shit happens, no one was hurt and the guy doesn't care. Take it as a lesson in following too close and move on with your life.
>>
>>13870824

Someday I very much want a Delorean and swap the V8 out of a 928 into it and make it sound very movie correct.
>>
>>13881156
>maybe it's going to be one big cycle.

Anon who's had 5 MK2s and 1 MK1 here.

It so fucking is. You have no fucking idea.
>>
>>13873028
buy a 97-04 regal GS
3.8l v6 sc
old ladymobile with 240hp and 280lb/ft tq
>>
File: Snapchat-6370110306287826909.jpg (329 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6370110306287826909.jpg
329 KB, 1080x1776
I didn't learn to drive manual until today. Was fun. 92 LX
>>
>>13881889
looks nice, but aren't those tires a bit sticky to be able to hold the car like that?
>>
>>13882043
275 front 285 rears. Big. They are so big they do infact hold the car to a wall though.
>>
>>13882232
i wouldn't believe it if i didn't have photographic proof. be careful they don't hold the car to a tree
>>
>>13870824
I have this problem in my brain where I obsess over shit.

>found /o/
>start to obsess over cars for first time in my life
>buy 2016 WRX with no experience driving standard
>put red mudflaps on it
>8k miles later
>clutch feels weird
>obsessive thoughts take over
>"fuck I'm a piece of shit, can't even drive 10k miles without fucking up my clutch"
>tell my boss I've gotta take an hour off to drop my car off at dealership
>"you burned up clutch already? You're a retard"
>drop off car
Later that day
>get call from dealership
>"we test drove your car and the clutch feels fine, we even checked all the adjustments and I drove a brand new one to compare and the clutch feels the same"
>now for some reason I'm scared to drive my car
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.