[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/o/, I picked up a used car and I wanted to do a flush on all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 17481.jpg (146 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
17481.jpg
146 KB, 1024x768
/o/,

I picked up a used car and I wanted to do a flush on all the fluids. However, when reading about flushing the transmission I became a little hesitant.

From what I understand, it seems to be perfectly fine to do IF the car wasn't abused and had it changed at regular intervals.

Some claim that flushing the transmission will do more harm than good and could potentially even make the transmission fail.

Anyone have experience with doing a flush on a high mileage car that was abused by the previous owner?
>>
Ive read that you should just replace the old fluid with new fluid and not flush it. Clean the filter and all that.
Apparently a flush can destroy the crap holding the gaskets together and the new fluid will start to leak.
>>
>>13870502
Don't flush the transmission, just change the fluid.
>>
if the trans was never serviced, leave it be
my brother changed the trans oil on a Toyota with 250K miles
trans completely stopped working
>>
>>13870516
>>13870528
I'm fine with just draining it out, dropping the pan and replacing the filter/fluid but

>>13870539
is what I'm afraid of

I suppose I could go with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' method for now but it just doesn't feel right
>>
Just change the fluid. Not all trannies drain all their fluid, so flushing whatever amount you can drain away then refilling over the course of a few hundred miles will do the job.
>>
>>13870502
what specific transmission is this in picture?
>>
File: DSCF1677.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1677.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
OH

BOY

>100,000 miles on factory ATF
>unbeknownst to me
>be a good boy at go through full checklist of 100,000 service items (bought car close to 100,000)
><1,000 miles in, horrible grinding from transmission in everything but 3rd, park included
>bring into shop because fucking with auto trans is above my ability
>3+4th gear clutches fucked by clogged lube channels by gunk that was freed but not removed from flush

AND THIS IS WHY I WANT TO STAND IN THE LOBBY OF LUBE SHOPS AND MECHANICS AND BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF EVERY DUMB SHIT THAT THINKS CHANGING THEIR ATF ISN'T BENEFICIAL TO THE EVERYTHING IN THE TRANSMISSION BECAUSE IT IS BENEFICAL TO THE EVERYTHING IN THE TRANSMISSION

yes, I mad. The rebuilt trans doesn't downshift to 3rd properly anymore, it always revs ~300 rpm too late. fuckin.
>>
Just empty the pan and put back the amount that came out.
>>
Never fucking flush a transmission. You should never flush a radiator or an engine, either, but no one listens and those two aren't usually as catastrophic as a transmission.

NEVER flush a transmission!
>>
>>13870783
You can drain the torque converter, too, you know. There should be a bolt in it and an access panel.
>>
If you know it has been changed at the proper service interval then go ahead and do it. If you are un-sure, you could either be doing yourself a huge favor or fucking yourself over.

If your transmission is fucked, go ahead and drop it yourself, buy a rebuild kit off rock auto and then bring it to the transmission shop. The tranny shops usually rape you on parts cost and labor costs (to drop and then reinstall it). The actual "rebuild" of the tranny is like 2 or 3 hours of paid work.
>>
>>13870815
Maybe....maybe not
>>
>>13870810
>You should never flush a radiator

What? Are you serious?
>>
>>13870502
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPAadc9fY
>>
What's the difference between flushing and draining wtf
>>
>>13870954
Imagine filling a glass up with water.

Draining = You dump the water out and put new water in
Flushing = You dump the water out, clean the glass, then put new water

A half-assed flushing kills your car.
>>
>>13870917
Yes. I am. You're loosening shit that will clog your passages. Drain and fill. I don't care what you think, flushing leads to damage. Proper maintenance always outweighs flushing.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.