[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you carfags think of motorcyclists riding between your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
File: filtering.jpg (54 KB, 366x512) Image search: [Google]
filtering.jpg
54 KB, 366x512
What do you carfags think of motorcyclists riding between your lanes when you're stuck in traffic?
>>
I either don't care, wish I was on one, or am busy laughing at the drivers who are desperately trying to swerve out of the way.
>>
Why would you care unless you were jealous?
As long as they're not squeezing through spots barely large enough for them to fit through then more power to them.
>>
>>13870144

When I'm in traffic like that, all four lanes are trying to change to the opposite side of the road for exits anyway, so you would probably die trying to ride between them.

> Pittsburgh, I hate you.
>>
Its legal in California so im mad jealous while im sitting in traffic
>>
>>13870144

It's illegal, but if no one catches them who cares?

At least people on bikes pay a price if they get too reckless, and odds are their insurance will be handing me money for the body damage.
>>
>>13870144
I've experienced a lot of butthurt drivers trying to block me while doing it. People fucking suck.
>>
If it weren't for the fact that someone opening a door will fuck me I would. I would be completely at fault for at least 2 cars. Then no comprehensive would leave me with a damaged bike.

Now I just have to deal with everyone calling me a kek for not splitting.
>>
>>13870144
i split on a bicycle. ama
>>
One time I was riding my CRF 450r throught the Lincoln Tunnel at 12 AM. I didn't expect traffic and thought I would be home within 5 minutes. Turns our someones shitbox broke down in the middle causing a massive jam. I am on a motorcycle so I began to ride through the middle. I was taken back at how many faggots went out of there way to attempt to block me. It honestly does not register in my mind as to why someone would want to hold up my day because there's is shit. I am not impeding traffic and am not even interacting with anyone. I understand blocking the faggot cars that cut in at the last second at exits but I am completely taken back at people swerving in to block gaps. When I drive my truck and see motorcycles I move and give them extra room, because I wish I was on mine.
>>
>>13870144
I don't care as traffic doesn't bother me, the lanes are narrow where I'm at and it's illegal. I've seen bikers get launched from not being careful enough.
>>
>>13870272
are you in an area where it's legal or not?
>>
Legal where I live.
I also ride myself so I'm extra careful about bikers when driving my car, even allowing them more space to pass me when stuck in traffic, if I can.
>>
to me it's just a perk of commuting on bike, and i have zero problem about it. one lane-splitter helps reduce traffic by approximately 1 car length, so it's a win-win situation.
>>
File: wowboyz.jpg (80 KB, 1016x645) Image search: [Google]
wowboyz.jpg
80 KB, 1016x645
>>13870297
>CRF 450r
Are you Chino?
>>
File: hittingTheGrass.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
hittingTheGrass.webm
3 MB, 640x360
Not exactly filtering but is this legal? I assume it's not because I'm not on the road when I do it.
>>
>>13870359
I assume it's not illegal*
>>
>>13870359
>is this legal?
>I assume it's not
Then you are assuming correctly.
>>
>>13870436
see >>13870384
I assume it's not illegal. I'm riding my dual sport off-road. What's illegal about that?
>>
>>13870144
It's stupid. Filtering is fine.
>>
>>13870456
If that's private property, it's illegal without the permission of the owner, if it's easement, there is probably an ordinance against driving/riding on it unless it is necessary for safety.
>>
I dont ride a motorcycle myself but i move over to let motorcyclists pass, space permitting.
Its legal in California anywayd and seriously cuts down on traffic.

Only thing i hate are the riders that are hauling ass between the cars, usually its a guy on a gsxr.
>>
File: gottagofast.png (19 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
gottagofast.png
19 KB, 870x870
>>13870489
>no signs saying to stay off it
>going that slow on a small motorcycle in the middle of the highway leaves me vulnerable to being rear-ended. In other words I GOTTA go fast.
>>
>>13870495
>I dont ride
>usually its a guy on a gsxr
I doubt you can tell sportbikes apart, I can't when they're speeding by and I've been riding for ages.
>>
>>13870255

To be fair, given how much I hear about 'brake checking' here, you should expect shit like that.

I admit that if someone tailgates me on the highway I slow down incrementally to encourage them to pass, so I've got my own douchebag moments, but I don't fuck around with bikes and motorcycles because a gentle collision can kill the fuckers.
>>
I don't have a problem with splitting/filtering as long as it's done safely. I'm not so cool with motorcyclists blasting through stopped traffic at ridiculous speeds, or splitting when traffic is already 40+.

In CA it's legal to filter at sane speeds through slow traffic, but of course there are always squids bending/breaking those rules. It sucks because the retards can fly up on you while you change lanes, even though they were not even in sight when you checked your mirrors/over the shoulder. And of course CHP and insurance will find you at fault in that case because you were the one changing lanes at the time.
>>
>>13871123

>used to ride fifty miles a day up and down the five
>never had a delta between my speed and the surrounding traffic of more than 10-15mph
>cars change lanes into you at least twice a day
>make contact at least once a month thanks to people jockeying between lanes paying even less attention than everyone else

Of course it's the cars fault. Lanes splitting is legal and it takes a second to check your mirror. Even if it's retard going to fast. It's the same concept as cities like Chicago where you'll get jail time if you 'door' a cyclist regardless of circumstance.

But honestly, if there's a large space ahead in either of the lanes beside you, slow the fuck down because someone is going to shoot in front of you.
>>
>>13872546
>it's everybody else's fault that I ride like a moron and got killed
>>
>>13870144
quite scared of hitting one so always double check mirrors.
also: i don't think it should be allowed unless it's a total standstill/startstop situation. (you know, because it's heavy to hold a motorcycle while (almost) at a stop).
it's bullshit that they can swerve through a jam while cars have to keep lane. everybody wants to go past all the slow cars so they can get home faster. it's just not possible.
>>
File: diabetic retard.png (202 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
diabetic retard.png
202 KB, 600x700
>>13870144
>that pic
What the fuck is Fiat Uno doing in the US?
>>
I move over, and accept a grateful nod.
>>
>>13870144

If they drive by at 15 km/h and make sure not to hit my car, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>13872598
>its bullshit they can swerve through a jam
Butthurt commuter detected. Are you so pathetic you want everything to be "fair" on a highway?
>>
>>13870144
i am more concerned with the nigger standing in the middle of the highway
>>
They forgo the relative protection and comfort of an interior for better mobility.

Fair trade imo.
>>
>>13872598
>heavy to hold a motorcycle
Confirmed for never having ridden one
>it's bullshit that they choose to use a vehicle that can move through traffic and I didn't
Confirmed for jealous
>>
It's illegal in my state, but there are times I kind of do it.

On entrance and exit ramps that are backed up I'll drive around cars. Usually there's room for two cars on the ramp and no one complains about two vehicles side by side.

One time I split lanes in heavy traffic and a cop tried to run me over, or at least block me. There were no lane markings so technically no "lanes" so not sure he could have done anything anyway.
>>
>>13870359
It's not but it's the country. In North Dakotan winters you see that but with snowmobiles instead.
>>
>>13872546
>never had a delta between my speed and the surrounding traffic of more than 10-15mph
That shouldn't be a problem, as long as people check mirrors/over the shoulder- which retards often don't, admittedly. But, that wasn't really the kind of scenario I was referring to.

It gets really dangerous when that delta gets higher, though, because then the over-the-shoulder check won't help. The motorcyclist comes up so fast that they're too far away for the driver to see when the mirror/shoulder check happens.

>>13872598
> i don't think it should be allowed unless it's a total standstill/startstop situation.
CA law doesn't enumerate safety rules (which may be part of the problem), but CHP's advisory guidelines are that lane splitting should only be practiced in traffic moving less than 30 mph, and lane splitters should not travel more than 10 mph faster than traffic.

Also, more motorcyclists means less traffic. That's a reason to allow filtering. You're annoyed by the riders who get to pass you, but forgetting that the ones that were already ahead of you in the traffic backlog are now getting out of your way. Also, it's somewhat unsafe for motorcycles to be stopped behind cars, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>13870144
Jealousy, cause traffic where I live fucking sucks
>>
>>13870144
Good. One less car in my way.

Plus they will probably be dead soon, so that will get them out of the way permanently.
>>
>>13870144
Jealousy, mostly.

But since I'm gonna be a biker soon enough, finances willing, I'm envious over the nicer bikes.
>>
I think in my country is legal as long as cars are stopped.

I do it. A lot. Not always with stopped cars, but I am sensible almost always (not going between lanes that are moving >20km/h), although sometimes I do it at higher speeds.

Also riding in the space next to lanes (shoulder you call it?) often.

But since I drive a bike I am much more sensible. In the scooter I was a maniac. I had an accident, it was not my fault, but it showed me that I needed to slow down in the city.
>>
>>13870144
lane splitting is illegal where i live, and id be scared as shit to actually attempt it : it takes one asshole in a car to open their door and totally ruin your day, and potentially life.
>>
Supreme jealousy, I hate traffic
>>
Are you guys serious? What's the point of riding a motorcycle if you can't do this? I cannot believe this is illegal anywhere.
>>
>>13870144
I literally couldn't care less.
>>
>>13870144
less congestion for everyone
>>
>>13870144
i wish it didnt rain so much

then i could truly be a bike br/o/
>>
>>13872598
The weight isn't a problem but mine does overheat if you sit still for awhile in hot weather. Radiator is a tiny useless POS. Can't even imagine what air cooled bikes must be like.
>>
Who cares, there's less congestion. Why have a motorcycle sit there and wait when a whole car could be there instead?
>>
in OPs picture the only person who would do something would be the small dick truck driver. most likely just get on the horn and wave his arm angrily because betas like that are beta.
>>
File: 1349292453825356.png (8 KB, 310x328) Image search: [Google]
1349292453825356.png
8 KB, 310x328
>>13872619
Could the pic be from Mexico?
>>
>>13874731
Must be horrible, luckily no major brands have used aircooled for their main line in years.

Oh wait, fucking harleys
>>
>>13872598
>it's bullshit that they can swerve through a jam while cars have to keep lane. everybody wants to go past all the slow cars so they can get home faster. it's just not possible.
>BUH HUH DUR NOT FIAR!!!!11111
Bikes reduce congestion, you dumb fuck. That's why filtering is legal EVERYWHERE except for the U S A
>>
>>13870359

considering most of the time dirt bikes arent legal to even be on a roadway. I would think its more legal for you to be riding down the side of the road then on it.
>>
Here in australia we have 1-2 states which it is legal. The laws are nice as well. No filtering over 30kmh and only on your full license.

Completely stopped is bad since coppers can pick on people for doing it in stop and go and much higher than 30 and it becomes dangerous
>>
>>13874976
i never understood why americans get so butthurt about lane filtering.

oh wait, i think some states in australia also dont like lane filtering.

i dont fucking know, like above, so long as your speed isnt 10/15kmh faster than the slow traffic there shouldnt be any problems. ill usually give them a little extra room.

Do americans get taught lane discipline?
>>
>>13875036
>Do americans get taught lane discipline?
In most states the driving tests are a formality and pretty much anyone with a pulse can get a license.
>>
>>13870215
Ayy how about that parkway east inbound.

I have a 5 min commute from my home to work, so I never had seen it before. I was coming home from PSU early this morning, hit the parkway at rush hour. Took me 40 minutes to go what would normally take 7.
>>
>>13874995
It's 100% street legal

>>13875036
>Do americans get taught lane discipline?
No. Very few people stay in their lanes.
>>
>>13870144
I don't give a shit, as long as they don't scratch my car on the way past or something
>>
>>13872598
You're supposed to have your mirrors set up so that you can easily see around you regardless friendo. Also you shouldn't be able to see any of your car in your side mirrors, kind of related but it's weird to me how many people drive with shit visibility because of poorly adjusted mirrors
>>
>>13875197
>Also you shouldn't be able to see any of your car in your side mirrors
That's the only way I can actually see behind me though. My mirrors don't stick out very far so I angle them in a little.
>>
>>13870501
Its really easy to tell when the same faggot on the same gsxr riding past you on the same spot of gridlocked traffic does it everyday.
Its mostly just the 1 guy im complaining about, also ive learned to tell bikes apart due to the same 20 or so bikes that pass me everyday around the same stretches of traffic.
No idea how the Harley cruisers deal with lane splitting in their behemoth bikes though
>>
>>13872546
>driving to Sacramento through Emeryville in afternoon traffic
>in 2nd to leftmost lane
>no car is going more than 5mpg
>see guy on motorcycle slowly lane splitting
>black bitch in minivan suddendly tries to go into leftmost lane
>nails the guy with her front bumper
>guy is on ground now screaming
>theres bone pocking through jeans and blood running down leg
>black bitch freaking out and REEKS of weed
>bus driver blocks traffic and like 20 people start calling 911
>nothing i can do cause around 50 people witnessed the accident
>hand off a towel to a guy trying to stop the bleeding
>leave

Yeah im kinda scared of bikes again now, well not bikes themselves but people not paying attention
>>
>>13878420
You couldn't even tourniquet the guys leg?

Anyways, sometimes things like this make me wish summary execution was legal. We all know that bitch isnt going to amount to anything in her life, so just save society the trouble. That guy's life is permanently changed, and the rest of us are probably going to end up paying for her to have 5 bix nood children to 3 different guys.
>>
>motorcycle fag here, so probably biased.

Been rear ended on my bike twice by fucking shit cunt drivers. Sustained a reasonably severe back injury and was out of work for 6 months due to one of them, got away injury free on the other.

From now on I'll always lane split, even if it's just to move next to a car - I'd rather someone hit a metal cage than my squishy body again.

Recommended viewing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU
>>
>>13878474

I'm puzzled as to why it's illegal in most of my country.
>>
>>13878420
That's why you don't lane split
>>
File: FUCK (2).jpg (41 KB, 447x425) Image search: [Google]
FUCK (2).jpg
41 KB, 447x425
>>13879447
>high as fuck negress hits you while you're doing something legal
>it's your fault
>>
>>13879447
The bitches minivan reeked of weed, it was her fault 100%

>>13878452
Nope, no medical experience besides stitching up people
>>
>>13878474
Yeah, I'm terrified of the rear-ender. I always split in dead stopped traffic even though it's not legal in my state and if it's a one-lane road I'll pull off to the shoulder before coming to a stop.
>>
It's illegal here, but even if it wasn't I probably still wouldn't filter on my bike. People rage for no reason and don't stop to think about the consequences of their actions. I would have to roll along idling in 1st gear and even then I'm sure someone would try to open their door on me.
>>
>>13870489
Where I am from, you are allowed on private property until asked to not be there. Like by sign or the owner asking you to leave.

But I am certain the cops would find some way to fuck this person
>>
>>13872563
> I dont know mirrors, Im old I didnt see him officer. he was going to fast

Fuck off Granma
>>
>>13879474
It's dangerous to sit behind a car in traffic where the people behind you could also not be paying attention and crush you against the car ahead of you.
>>
People freak the Fuck out for no reason when I split. They do some shit like try to block me and a couple have actually tapped me. Mind you stopped traffic I'm just rolling up to the light. So one bitch that did lost her side view. It not sits on my wall as a trophy.

There is one time I took it to far tho. I was cruising down the highway home at about 130mph and came up to a group of cars. Thought I'd just split pass but one car in the middle happened to be chp and hit his cherries. So I dropped a gear hit the throttle and jammed it. It was like he didn't even try to chase.
>>
>>13870228

They'll pay for the body damage, sure. For the value your car instantly loses after being in an accident... Not so much.
>>
>>13878452
>You couldn't even tourniquet the guys leg?
>tourniquet for a broken bone
No.
>>
>>13870359
Depending on where you are and how your state/town defines private property vs roads you may be trespassing doing this.
>>
If everyone that drove alone in their car, we'd have a lot less traffic.

Imagine
>Double the lanes, because we don't need room for huge ass cars
>Retards who text and ride kill themselves
>Less fatalities, because instead of deadly impacts, you just keep sliding with your gear
>no more wasted space from soccer mom's in their 5 ton vehicles with third row seating commuting 30 miles to work all alone
>everyone waves to each other, because that is the biker thing to do
>no more distracted drivers, you can't text and ride, read the news, put on your make up, or eat that donut
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.