[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Head gasket
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_2767.jpg (106 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2767.jpg
106 KB, 640x480
What does /o/ recommend I do for a blown head gasket on a car?
>>
Skim the head and replace the head gasket, basically
>>
>>13868277
Have it replaced by someone with a brain.
>>
Get the head off, use some finer wet-sand paper and clean the surface before putting on a new gasket and reassembling it
>>
>>13868277
Check compression for ring wear. If it's low rebuild the engine or replace it with a low mileage engine.

If oil catch in the coolant replace all the rubber hoses. And gaskets. Oil inflames rubber and it will cause leak it will rupture hoses or seals
>>
>>13868277
Clean the block (scrape at a shallow angle with a sharp razor blade), have the head milled flat, be anal about the torque of the new(!) head bolts/studs.
>>
>>13868277
might as well p+p your head now
>>
>>13868306
>>13868347
>>13868337
>>13868354
>>13868382

I mean, I know nothing of cars really... Is it worth it to have a shop do it? Or what about those products that supposedly fix it?
>>
>>13868382
I highly doubt it's worth doing that for whatever car that head came from.
>>
>>13868393
Do not use that shit. It does literally nothing positive. It's likely to only clog your radiator and heater core.

Just shop around and find a garage that will do it for a reasonable price.
>>
>>13868393
>I mean, I know nothing of cars really... Is it worth it to have a shop do it?
Yes, since you can't do it yourself.

>Or what about those products that supposedly fix it?
Snake oil.
They don't work.
>>
>>13868277
replace with rotary
>>
>>13868393

Ehhhh. Less then a 50/50 way less actually. for it to actually work. How bad is the leak. If it is really. Bad no. Eirher way low chance if it works m
>>
>>13868393
if the car is a beater, sure put that liquid head gasket repair in there

itll work, but its putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound
most likely in the end itll fuck the motor beyond all repair as it clogs coolant passages, hoses, radiator, etc
but you'll have a functioning car for id say any where from a few months to over a year if youre lucky

itll basically buy you time to find a new car
>>
>>13868277
A whole new block.
>>
>>13869535
that's like scrapping a chassis because you broke the windshield, asshat.
>>
>>13868400
>>13868407
It's a 1990 Miata with 110k miles on it
Paid 1.5k for the car and another 1k for some engine work, so I kinda wanna keep the engine
>>
>>13869738
If the engines shot, it's shot. No use in fixing a shit engine when you could get a new one for the same price of some of these fixes. If you do rebuild it id recommend replacing the crank bearings too, especially if water got in the block. A 3m red bristle pad and wd40 work amazing for getting old gasket off the surfaces.
>>
>>13869850
So then I should just save up for a used long nose crank 1.6? I mean the car is safely sitting in my driveway so, I still have another car so its not the end of the world
>>
>Acquire the factory service manual. You will need it for various specs.

>Remove the cylinder head from the vehicle. Examine the gasket and head and block parting surfaces carefully in order to determine the place of failure on the gasket.

>If you have access to a machinist's straight edge, (not any shitty straight edge like a ruler), use a set of feeler guages and check the mating surface of the cylinder head for flatness and warpage.

>If you don't have a straight edge, just take it straight to the machine shop, it's going there anyway. Have them pressure test the head and check for cracks. Have them perform a hot tank cleaning and deck the head surface the minimum amount to achieve factory specified flatness and ensure good seal to new gasket. Also have them install new valve seals and do a valve job (3 angle).

>take your nice rebuilt head and install with a quality gasket on the block, along with new hardware. Torque to manufacturer's specifications with moly lube.

>Enjoy
>>
>>13868277
If you have a good friend or family member and a weekend, replace it yourself, if not look at the price of the car online, sell it and get something else.

It's not worth paying a mechanic to do it unless the car has sentimental value.
>>
>>13871633
It does have a level of sentimental value and low miles so idk
>>
>>13869618
If it's been hot enough to blow a head gasket the Pistons have probably pulled in the bores and left marks. Petrol engines aren't really worth repairing once the bores are scored up.
>>
>>13871633
>It's not worth paying a mechanic to do

A shit-easy job like this costs about $200. It's worth it to save ANY car that gets you from A to B.

That includes the price of the gasket set.
>>
>>13870344
That's what I'd do, plus new clutch when you swap the engine
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13872002
This is a shit ton of misinformation right here.

Have a vault door lock from the 1920s for your valiant effort.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.