[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2006 Mini Cooper S
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
I'm buying a 2006 Mini Cooper S, what is /o/'s opinion on these cars/ Mini Coopers in general? Pic related.
>>
File: r50-side-desert.jpg (134 KB, 577x960) Image search: [Google]
r50-side-desert.jpg
134 KB, 577x960
>2006 Gen1
>Posts a gen3

OP I had an '06 non-S for five years, it was great.

Gaskets and hoses will leak. 06 is the best year to get. Go lurk at NorthAmericanMotoring, it's by far the biggest and best mini site, really helpful. I just sold mine for a BMW but I'd own another in a minute if I could keep two cars.

Pic related, my former ride.
>>
Unreliable as fuck
Doesn't do anything particularly better than other cars around that price
Looks retarded
By the way did I mention unreliable?
>>
>>13867589

the '06 S has literally the least amount of problems. None of the turbo issues of the 07+, none of the trans issues of the CVT in the non-S Gen1 cars. Other than motor mounts and leaky thermostat housings and oil pan gasket it's a pretty safe bet.
>>
>>13867588
Thanks! I'll check out that site.
>>
>>13867597
I've heard that before, thanks for confirming it.
>>
File: r50_park.jpg (2 MB, 1739x1739) Image search: [Google]
r50_park.jpg
2 MB, 1739x1739
>>13867599

No problem man. I'd recommend MotoringAlliance as well, they're pretty good too. Good luck and have fun. I'm heading out now but I'll check this thread later if you have any questions, i'll try to help.

Cheers
>>
>>13867589
>Doesn't do anything particularly better than other cars around that price
Apart from being the best-handling supermini you can buy
>>
File: koopa.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
koopa.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
ive had a '04 jcw for a few years now, and apart from the clutch going out at 105k, ive had no issues with it
>>
I had a 2004 R50 Cooper for 2 years and I loved it. It handles like nothing else in the world. The interior is also quite nice, mine had full leather interior and a panorama roof. Only sold it because it was quite uncomfortable to drive on highways and I needed a car with bigger boot. Definately would recommend to everybody, especially in the Cooper S and JCW trims.
>>
>>13868245
>>13868245
>Only sold it because it was quite uncomfortable to drive on highways and I needed a car with bigger boot.

This is exactly why i sold mine. Feels a little bad honestly.
>>
>>13867571
Fun car
Has a handlebar mustache
Made with the finest British quality, so get familiar with your tools
>>
File: clarkson.jpg (113 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
clarkson.jpg
113 KB, 615x410
just stay away from the older models, i believe 2006 and below because those were equipped with chrysler engines. however, i'm not sure if the newer ones are any better either.
>>
>>13868761

the newer ones have way more problems because bmw/mini can't into turbocharging. there aren't any real common problems with the older engines.
>>
>>13867571
Drove an 04 S once, really fun. Was sort of amazed as I've never forgotten how fun it was to drive.

Are any of the newer years any good? The long term quality of the supercharged models seemed questionable at best.
>>
>>13868804

The supercharged ones are solid for over 100k miles, it's the newer turbocharged ones that are shit. If you prefer the new ones for the improved interior, etc, 10-11 has a revised engine that allegedly addresses a lot of the issues in the previous tarbo models. The current model year is too soon to tell, it's all new.
>>
>>13867571
its a MIDI not a mini cooper. this is a mini cooper. the only thing that they share in common is no room once you are in the back seats...

the early midi's had power steering isssues
>>
>>13868924

they own the brand, it's a mini, deal with it puristfags.
>>
>>13868929
who says id buy a new midi? nothing wrong with the old one. can build one with a credit card, and they get 40+ mpgs better than a current midi thats struggling to do 30 and you can get that out of modern v8
>>
>>13868954

no one said you'd buy a new one, i just hate all you classic fans who feel the need to sperg out over HURR THATS NOT A MINI IT'S SO BIG every time someone wants to talk about the modern mini.
>>
>>13868899
Owner of the 04 I drove had lots of non-engine issues I guess (interior squeaks, odd electrical issues, front headlight going out and being replaced multiple times).

Tempted to look at 04-06 models now. How are they to work on?
>>
>>13868980

Oh yeah, squeaks and rattles are pretty common. I never had any serious issues.. over five years of ownership I had to replace

thermostat housing
power steering hoses
oil pan gasket
motor mount
window regulator motor

That was about it. Honestly I was under warranty so I didn't really DIY anything other than a few mods, so I couldn't say. Anecdotally they're not particularly complicated, lots of backyard mechanics on NAM fix all of their own shit.
>>
>>13868801
>>13868899

Care to post a link to the B48 having problems? Buddy has one, great engine if it holds up.
>>
>>13869193

Oh no, sorry I'm referring to the early R56S engine (can't remember the code now.. N18?) not the new generation. I haven't heard much about those at all yet.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.