[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
looking at getting into karting. kartfags, what are noob mistakes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
looking at getting into karting.

kartfags, what are noob mistakes to avoid? any gear to avoid? what gear should i get? is a neck cushion good enough? or do i NEED one of those plastic full neck brace things?

motorbike helmets are fine for karting? i already have a good motorbike helmet.

any other costly mistakes you can give me tips to avoid ect?
>>
You don't lift throttle while braking (in non-shifter karts).
>>
>>13867541
watch capeta
WATCH
CAPETA
READ CAPETA
GOOD ADVICE
10/10
>tfw no good karting places for adults in florida
>its all themeparks
>>
my only experience is K1Speed

>9/10
was pretty fun; would do again
>>
>>13867541
Some carts donĀ“t have a rear differencial, so you try to lean outwards in a corner in order to reduce traction on the inside tires. Also try not to slide, but that should be mostly obvious.

Those two should bring you quite far already.
>>
>>13867541
Nech cushion works ok for me. Do you want to rave or just run around the track for fun? If you want to race get started with a World Formula kart. Theyre slow but the class is usually packed and will teach you how to drive smoothly. Then you move up to TAG (125cc two stroke). Pay attention to which engine brand the fast guys use, Rotax engines are faster/equal on longer smoother tracks, Leopard engines dominate on twisty tracks because they rev 5k higher and can gear lower. However they also shit their starter motors frequently. Both are a pain in the ass to jet correctly foe the temperature, very sensitive.

Then you go to shifter.
>>
>>13867725
No kart has a rear diff, they all are straight axle. You turn via chassis flex and lifting the inside rear wheel. Don't try to lean at all, the bucket seat should keep you in place, just try to stay upright.
>>
>>13867547
interesting.... just to keep the revs up i assume?
>>13867559
okay
>>13867686
:D
>>13867725
so i should also get a rib protector?
>>13867736
neck cushion it is then! since there's a couple of hundred dollars difference from my brief look

so you reckon start out on a smaller cc then go up to tag? how long should i stay on the slower ones?
>>13867747
conflicting advice, doh
>>
>>13867736
>World Formula kart
Not OP, but World Formula is an engine from the several links I searched. What chassis should I get to go with that engine? Does any chassis do? Or can you recommend a solid one for starting with that engine? And can I switch engines later or do I need a new chassis with the new engine when I upgrade?
>>
>>13868310
go to local event, find what's common, ask them, ask the local shops, buy used once you have an idea of what's viable

4chin won't tell you shit about what's running locally, you could go drop $10k on a world formula setup and have zero competition because everyone local is running rotax
>>
motorcycle helmest offer more protection that car helmets iirc, but are heavier there will be a higher g-load in your neck while cornering with a bike helmet
>>
>>13869390
That's why you work your neck muscles.
>>
>>13869390
That is because bike helmets tend to work. Honestly you have to be a retard to flip a cart anyway.
>>
>>13868310
Briggs and Stratton make the engines, it's a spec class. Just ask your local guys. And I doubt the guy who talked about rear diffs has seen actual racing karts, whereas I have.
>>
File: DSC_1350.jpg (243 KB, 2000x1300) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1350.jpg
243 KB, 2000x1300
>>13869375
currently away working atm, but yeah will do so when i get back. local track is 20mins away, and its a good one apparently.
>>13869390
sweet. neck muscles eh... hopefully mine a bit above average due to motorbiking...
>>13870007
rotax appears to be the main supplier at my local from what i can gather from online..
>>
Find the closest track and see what classes they run. LO206 is by far the easiest and cheapest to get in to. You're looking at around $4000-6000 for your first season in kart, safety gear, and maintenance/repair.
>>
>>13867686
Is K1Speed really that fun? I deliver to the one on Stirling Rd sometimes and always want to do a few laps while I'm in there.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.