[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yuropoor /brit/fag here What's a reasonably fast, reliable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12
Yuropoor /brit/fag here

What's a reasonably fast, reliable car I can get for about £10-15k gbp?

It's purely a weekend/pleasure vehicle that I won't drive a whole lot but will be lavished with care, love and tasteful performance mods.
>>
You posted one. Though that's the facelift, no?
>>
>>13866484
Yes. I used to own a red CTR much like that one, but I'd prefer something a bit bigger and faster.
>>
>weekend car
>wants to buy a front wheel drive hatchback
To my understanding used Lotus Elises are stupidly cheap in the UK, surely you can pick up a decent one for fifteen thousand quid. Be careful about wrapping yourself around a tree though.
>>
>>13866497
I just posted an image, m8, because I had to.
>>
monaro 6l v8 easily in budget

Unfortunately badged as a Vauxhall in UK
>>
>>13866526
Are they reliable? There will be an occasion where once yearly where I go on a 2600 mile road trip in the space of about two weeks.
>>
Evo VIII MR
>>
>>13866583
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo-vii--ix/mitsubishi-lancer-evo-viii-mr-fq-320-palma-red-low-miles/4964047
>>
File: F_200611_november17E_92107a.jpg (99 KB, 540x319) Image search: [Google]
F_200611_november17E_92107a.jpg
99 KB, 540x319
Get something like a Vauxhall GTO, can get a Monaro over here for about $15,000 dallarydoos so i do not see why they would be anything over $10,000 over there now.
>>
>>13866569
Oh i see someone already suggested the GTO.
Yes, they were designed to be able to drive around Australia through the deserts.
>>
>>13866569
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG5PX587ydw
Apparently you can get a Vauxhall GTO for 1500 pounds.
>>
>>13866596
+1, unless you can find a C5 Corvette or something. Those big Chebby V8s are plenty reliable, just hard on "petrol". But if it will mostly be a weekend hoon machine, why not?

A real V8 owner spends more money on rear tires than fuel.
>>
>>13866607
Oh i should have watched that more, 8000 pounds.
>>
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201509116817372?make=alfa_romeo&sort=default&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&radius=1500&fuel-type=petrol&page=1&postcode=fk81ns&model=159&engine-size-cars=3l_to_3-9l&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

Then again I'm obviously biased towards Alfa.
>>
Evo is the only way to go in my opinion.

They are like space rockets compared to anything else in your price range op and you can drive them like you are fucking Tommi Makkinen on coke.
>>
File: Lotus_Esprit_S3_Giugiaro.jpg (143 KB, 1400x797) Image search: [Google]
Lotus_Esprit_S3_Giugiaro.jpg
143 KB, 1400x797
One of these.
>>
>>13866610
Yeah and considering the Monaro is known throughout the motoring world as being a glorified skid rig there really is not a reason not to be buying one atm.
One of the easiest cars in the world to go sideways in and control while sideways, what it was built to do.
>>
File: 6d962d72-dac6-f107.jpg (95 KB, 1024x673) Image search: [Google]
6d962d72-dac6-f107.jpg
95 KB, 1024x673
>>13866473
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 640x426
>>13866642
Plus dat aftermarket for the LS... And basically anything else you could want for that Monaro/GTO platform.

With car like that which have a huge aftermarket, you can often find great deals on parts. Whether you want some fresh new bumpers or new suspension stuff, if you keep an eye out, you can always find performance stuff brand new on sale or very slightly used for next to nothing .
>>
>>13866473
Caterhams. Very fast, reliable as you make them. And since they're not dealership-enabling vehicles, nothing stops you just doing your own maintenance.
>>
OP here

So I'm looking at the Monaros
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds?Category=used-cars&M=615
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/vauxhall/monaro/postcode/bn16eh/radius/1500/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew

They are pretty cheap and dat LS V8. I'm pretty interested in them.

However, I've seen newer VXR8s for about 5-7k more with about 50-60k miles. Is it work spending another couple of months of hard grafting and saving to get one of those, or is there literally no reason to spend extra for VXR8 over a Monaro?
>>
File: Porsche_911_Gris.jpg (670 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Porsche_911_Gris.jpg
670 KB, 2048x1536
>>13866473

You could get a 996 in that budget.
>>
>>13866694
I could but I wouldn't really want to pay the high repair costs.
>>
Why no interest in the Evo?...do you NOT want to have fun or something?
>>
>>13866812
I'm not NOT interested in the Evo, family.
>>
>>13866834
Your loss buddy.
>>
>>13866840
Do you not understand double negatives?

I've looking at Evos now. This one seems decent enough:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/mitsubishi/evo-vii--ix/2004-mitsubishi-evo-viii-fq--330/4969517
The 5k I'm left with could be put to good use such as slotting in a nice sound system or some track days + insurance, or just save it for other things.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I agree with Monaro/GTO, but I may be biased. If you have any questions on them I've had mine for 3 years
>>13866684

VXR8 is a Commodore, so sedan. It would really depend on what trim level, if you can get one with the LS3, the 6.2 V8, go for that. I don't know if they also came with the 6.0 in Vauxhall trim. The 6.2 will be faster than a 5.7 Monaro, but pretty close with a 6.0 Monaro.

They are reliable, more so if you get a 6 speed because they handle more hp and torque. Kinda heavy and not as much chassis mods as available as a Corvette or Camaro. However, the interior is much nicer and it has IRS which a Camaro doesn't have unless 5th gen.
>>
>>13866872
>The 5k I'm left with could be put to good use such as slotting in a nice sound system

fucking chavs i swear
>>
>>13866872
Shit, my bad lol.

7's are great too, just the 8 MR is the best in terms of handling.

Drove my buddies 7 he had imported from Japan when they first came out, thing had 500bhp and ate clutches but jesus fuck it was an absolute hoot to drive.
>>
Right at the top end of your budget, but you can get a half decent S2 Elise for £15k
>>
>>13866874
In the UK we have two trims, a Monaro with the 5.7 and the Monaro VXR which has a 6.0 in it.

The VXR looks more aggresive and has bonnet intakes and double-sided oval exhausts whereas the Monaro has a single-sided double-barreled exhaust and I would obviously prefer to get the VXR if I can.

I honestly don't think there's much point getting the VXR8. It might handle better, but the extra cost could be put into handling mods for the cheaper Monaro, so it's swings and roundabouts. I don't give a fuck if the car looks newer, or if it has sat nav touch screen climate control comforts, since who fucking cares about that shit in a weekend hooner.
>>13866882
Nice projecting. I'm not talking giant Alpine subs and massive Juice amps and BOOM BOOM BOOM make-everyone's-windows-rattle inconsideration, but something that gives really good audio quality. I spent about £3k on PC's audio system.
>>
>>13866907
Def get the one with the LS2 (6.0L). In the US, the GTO had the 5.7L for MY2004 and then the 6.0L for 2005-2006. Everybody who owns or has owned one says to avoid the LS1 (5.7L) like the plague. I guess that extra 300cc in the LS2 is just a much better engine all around and has a lot nore potential.

And definitely throw a couple 12" subs in the back. For performance, ya know. Better weight distribution on the FR car.
>>
>>13866907
Okay, for the U.S. we had one trim level, and the only options were Auto/Manual and color.

I only have the 5.7, go with the 6.0 if you can. If not, it's not entirely difficult to bring them up to the same power level.

Biggest mods you'll want to do as far as suspension are swaybars, replace stock springs as they are most likely sagging, and coilovers.

Brakes, you'll want stainless lines, and most people recommend DBA rotors and Hawk pads, the stock rotors suck and warp. Unless you plan on tracking it, you don't really need a BBK, however if you are okay with going to 18s, you can adapt CTS-V brembo front brakes.

As far as power, Long Tubes usually get about a 20rwhp increase with nothing else. From there, it's really however much power you want. The weakest part in the drivetrain if you get the manual is the driveshaft and halfshafts, get a 1-piece and stronger half shafts.

If you guys got the same deck as we did for the radio, you'll want to replace it because CDs get stuck in it very easily.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13866928
You don't have to avoid the LS1, you can get plenty of power out of it easily, and many GTOs have the LS6 block from the Z06. It's just easier to get the extra 50hp because you don't have to do anything at all.

It all depends on price, because GTOs fluctuate in price a lot
>>
>>13866928
>>13866962
Thanks gents.

I visit Spain once annualy for a big family fiesta and I've always wanted to drive there, from the UK. I couldn't do this until now because I've always driven shitboxes that wouldn't be able to cope with that sort of journey.

I'm taken the Monaro since as you guys say it's a nice cruiser that was designed for long distances, and it can go nuts if you want it to. I may track it eventually, but that would be depending on how confident I feel in the car's ability to handle the punishment. If I need to mod it to get it to a level where it can take it, then I'd decide on whether I think it's worth the outlay. There are usually trackday rental cars if I really feel like going for a trackday.
>>
File: red mk3.jpg (89 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
red mk3.jpg
89 KB, 800x600
>>13866473
MARK THREE
>>
>>13866473
Fiesta ST, Mk6 or Mk7. Fun, light, hothatch. The Monotune mods are apparently good fun without screwing you warranty too

Or an NC MX5 with a BBR tune, either the turbo or non-turbo mods to boost the powerrrrrrrr.
>>
>>13867016
I own your dream car. Want to buy it?
>>
>>13867049
Already owned a Mk6 ST, back in 2007. It was fun and handled well enough for its price, but I just couldn't get on with the torsion bar. Made the back end feel loose, even when I had an FRSU installed when I tracked it. I guess I didn't gel with the car.

MX5 is an interesting option. However, thus far the Monaro seems to tick every box for my needs and it's a big V8.
>>
>>13867058
yes please
>>
also brit here, looking for first car

is £80 nissan micra K-reg a good deal? it has a problem with gearbox which i can get fixed for free

>insurance will still be over 1k :(
>>
>>13867095
>£80
You could drive it for two days and have saved cash over renting a shitbox for the same length of time.

Might as well go for it.
>>
>>13867133
do you think it would last though?
insurance is gonna be over 1k no matter what the price of car is
is it worth insuring an £80 car for over £1000?
>>
>>13867146
It'll cost you that regardless. You're considered a fault risk.

The £1000 is not to cover the costs of repairing your car, but the predicted costs of the insurance company having to pay out to affected third parties in the event of you have an at-fault crash, which the insurance company clearly believes is likely.
>>
File: c933817072012141643_2.jpg (507 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
c933817072012141643_2.jpg
507 KB, 1024x680
ELISE
L
I
S
E
>>
>>13869177
But does it have a fucking massive pushrod vee ate in it famalam
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.