[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
car overheats only at idle, already replaced the fans and they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: ClassicLeMansLaurentNivalle12.jpg (16 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
ClassicLeMansLaurentNivalle12.jpg
16 KB, 640x360
car overheats only at idle, already replaced the fans and they do work, what do?
>>
>>13847985
Water pump...do you have coolant?
>>
File: helloladies.png (64 KB, 275x133) Image search: [Google]
helloladies.png
64 KB, 275x133
>>13847985
what kind of car and what kind of engine
does it have a fan shroud, we need more info
>>
File: DSC_1712.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1712.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>he didn't buy a p71
>>
low on coolant
>>
>>13848000
if it were to be the pump wouldnt it overheat all the time?
>>
>>13847985
an hero
>>
>>13848001

05 elantra, its my daily
>>
Did you put the fans on backwards.
>>
>>13848079
nope,

as i said before, it overheats sometimes and only at idle
>>
>>13848000

and yes i do got coolant
>>
>>13848016

>as opposed to the regular Crown Vic which has its temp needle sitting directly ON the middle marker

all dat coolan
>>
File: spitfire diagram.jpg (383 KB, 1968x1400) Image search: [Google]
spitfire diagram.jpg
383 KB, 1968x1400
>>13847985

Sounds like your radiator might be going. There are internal channels for the coolant to flow through, but they can get clogged over time and the interior corrodes. Reduced coolant flow means you're not going to get good cooling ANY time, but especially when you stop. There is more air being forced into the radiator when you're moving at 50mph than the fan EVER could at idle, so it might explain why you're only overheating at a stop.

Is the face of the radiator full of shit too? I've seen some that are literally covered in a blanket of filth, pine needles, road grime, dirt, etc. which impacts its ability to dissipate heat. But as I said, it could be internally fucked too. Have to take it to a shop, they'll do a test to see if you have proper flow through it.
>>
Are you just going by the gauge that's going into the red?
>>
>>13848157
Unless he's put rad leak stop that's highly unlikely. Guessing if he replaced his fans he would of noticed leaves n shit on the rad.
>>
>>13848160

inb4 it's a faulty sensor

This is why he needs to take it to a shop, they can check actual engine temp, radiator performance, and see if his sensor is fucked or he really is overheating.
>>
>>13848174

>implying radiators don't corrode over time

It's a 2005 Elantra, so I doubt OP is the original owner. God only knows what the fuck the previous owner did.

My mechanic was telling me epic tales a few months back, he said he changed the fluid on a customer's transmission and it was barely tranny fluid. He said their tranny had been leaking for some time, but they didn't want to shell out the money for a total fluid change/fix, so they just kept adding LEAK STOP to it. He said the fucking thing was like 90% leak stop, basically goddamn sludge coming out when he drained it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-06-21-08-45-44.png (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-06-21-08-45-44.png
521 KB, 1920x1080
>>13848138
Dat oil cooler, dat transmission cooler
>>
>>13847985
My shitbox Ford Focus was doing this. Had an intermittent electrical connection between the fan relay and the fans that would often see it overheat at idle on a hot day (no forward airflow + fan not starting when they should = lava). Replaced thermostat and coolant, only made the electrical realisation one day when I had the aircon on and realised the fans had not started like they do when idling with AC. Sure enough, not long after I noticed this it started blowing coolant out through its lid again.

> check for and remove any corrosion on electrical connectors between the fan and the relay box, replace any heavily corroded spades.
> replace the fan relay (few bucks, won't hurt).

Mine was one of the above (corroded terminals and a relay that had pitted contacts when inspected after the replace) , never saw the problem again.
>>
>>13848196
I'm not saying they don't corrode, when they do its usually an exterior leak not interior blockage. Yes people are stupid. I've seen it all.
>>
>>13848178
or, laser themometer ($20) or multimeter with temp probe ($20)
>>
File: ew2.jpg (12 KB, 294x313) Image search: [Google]
ew2.jpg
12 KB, 294x313
>>13848211

>Ford products
>>
>>13848228

So you can take it to a shop, and have them tell you "we don't do any work until WE have diagnosed the problem and determined what needs to be done."

Very few places will just say "yeah sure we'll fuck your shit up famm", they want to diagnose it themselves.
>>
>>13848244
Maybe we can help OP so he doesn't need to take it to the shop. Ur really grinding my gears.
>>
>>13848244
>diagnose it themselves.

There's a reason for that and it's because customers are assholes.

We started out naive n shit and would install parts customers brought in. Every fucking time that would result in A)the customer's concern not being fixed, and B)a loud scene in the office with the customer screaming about us ripping them off because their part didn't fix the car, followed immediately by C)the tech working for free to fix the real problem which had nothing at all to do with what the customer wanted installed ib the first place.

It didn't take long to say fuck that and start insisting on doing our own diagnostics.
>>
>>13848160

when im at a light and see the needle climbing i turn the car off until light turn green
>>
>>13848174
i dont put any crap like that on the car m8
>>
>>13848064
my '00 Elantra did the same. it was the belt for the water pump/alternator. so maybe its just the water pump for you
>>
>>13848378
Blast the heat bro
>>
>>13848055
no, the exact opposite can happen.

lower RPM = lower coolant flow
>>
>>13848378
this makes it worse because you get heat soak in the coolant that is now stationary

you need to put it in neutral, up your RPM, and turn the heat on full blast.
>>
>>13848820
If he turnes the key to accessory, not completely off, the fan should still be going. Fans are electric, not attached to a belt these days.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.