[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thinking about getting into karting... few things though, i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
thinking about getting into karting...

few things though,

i'm 6'3/6'4, is that going to be a problem?
what kinda budget would i be looking at? ausfag here, so buy a cheapish kart for 2 or 3k, plus another 500 or so for gear? just trying to gauge how plausible this is for me at this point in time.
>>
Height isn't an issue
IDK about price in Australia but consider along with the cost of the kart you need to pay for storing or transporting it, track time, lots of tires, engine rebuilds, and a ton of small things that add up fast. Whatever you think it will cost multiply it by 3 and you'll have a good estimate.
>>
>>13847532
Height is a non issue and it depends on what class you're running
2 strokes and 4 strokes, clones, anything where you can fuck with the engine is a money pit to be competetive, and dirt racing in murrica is awful because of tire treatments

Idk if Margay is in Ozland but they do the IGNITE series where it's a spec chassis and a sealed motor, you control tire pressures oil levels and gearing and some other stuff but nobody can tune or buy better engines, which keeps it cheap
>>
>>13847555
ongoing costs is fine.

i'm tossing up between fixing my current car up a tiny bit and getting a kart (race track is 20mins drive away) or buying a supercharged version of my current car, then using my current one for parts.

or thirdly, saving the money to buy a really nice car in 10 years time.

in short; kart, 4agze aw11 or honda nsx
>>
>>13847585
karts will make friends and probably more fun
>>
>>13847585
Get the kart, racing is way more rewarding and fun than having a nice street car.
>>
>>13847532
the tires will eat you alive if you race your cart regularly. I think average kart tires start at about $200 for a set of four and you will probably burn through them pretty quickly.

That being said, if I had a kart track that close to me I would definitely choose the kart.
>>
>>13847583
http://gatewaykartplex.com/racing-series/ignite-spec-series/

This is the shit I was talking about, spec racing is king for the weekend racing adult
Your track might have something similar
>>
>adult male
>go karting
Wew lad
>>
>>13847532
I've heard that tall guys can do well in karting, something to do with how long your legs are, and being able to shift your weight effectively

I've had a few goes in an entry level 100cc clubman, and shit is cash bro
>>
>>13849116
Even 70 year olds still masturbate anon...if they don't have heart disease.
>>
>>13849116
them 1000cc carts tho
>>
>>13847532
If you've never done Karting on this scale before I would highly recommend starting in the 206 class. It's single speed with a cheap engine, cheap chassis, and cheap overall running cost.

If you wanted to get a setup brand new, you would be looking at around $4000 for a complete kart that you could put on a track and drive with no further tinkering. A used setup will likely run somewhere around $2500 depending on condition. DO NOT SKIMP. Racing is a place where you get what you pay for and superior drivers lose because they wanted to save a few bucks.

An average season will probably cost about $1000 in tires, gas, repair, and maintenance.

You will also need safety equipment. Looking at:

$200-600 for an entry level Snell certified helmet

$200-300 for an entry level racing suit.

$50 for other gear (gloves, shoes, neck brace)

Budget another $1000 for all safety gear.

Also consider kart transportation and storage. If you don't have a car that can fit everything you will need to either buy a new one or get a trailer of some kind.

So if you have a car that can carry all your equipment and the kart, you can expect to pay about $6000-7000 for your first season. It will be cheaper after that since you have most of the equipment already.
>>
>>13847532
Karting is more cringeworthy than competition drifting.
>>
You should try making a formula SAE type car. Barely bigger than a kart but 3x the tire and power. I think there are free frame plans on the internet and if not just cheat off the numerous pictures you see on the internet. This is assuming you have space and tools to build this though but in the end you would learn a lot. The only karts I see are at autocross and they look painful to drive because they usually have no suspension. Something a little bigger with room for suspension would be better in my opinion.
>>
>>13849542
Can you list the reasons?
Karting is the only sports which you can place in the ´´real racing´´ category along with MotoGP. The way you have to make the chassis work with your body is actually simular to racing motorbikes.
You drive bumper to bumper and feel every nuance, no other 4 wheeler racing category is as intense. You have obviously not driven a racing kart competetively if you cannot imagine the physical and mental challenges involved.

You cant even compare a sport that defines racing, to something totally which has no objective measurment for competition like drifting.
>>
>>13849542
Thanks for your minority opinion
>>
>>13847532
step 1: move to NZ
step 2: join 2k cup

Cheaper than karting. Total cost to enter is about 2k a year (all fuel, licenses and entry fees). set aside 3k for car and gear.
>>
>>13849321
Helmet is only $150 for a decent CAMS approved helmet.

As far as i know karting requires two layers of fireproofing so youre looking at an $800 "Two layer" fireproof suit, or spending $160 on a single layer cotton suit and $140 on a full nomex underwear set.

as for transport, your average commuter with a roofrack can carry a kart. i did this for several years. most karts are so light two decent blokes can lift em.

The best investment in other gear though was a steel frame with castors on it that held the cart at waist level, made working on it SO MUCH easier.
>>
>>13847585
NSX price will be unrealistic in 10 years time.

Karting will be fun and make you friends but also very expensive in the long run for tires and rebuilds unless you think you can win money.

Going to SC AW11 will give you giggles every single day, and having an NA parts car will mean you never have to worry. Also a great investment as SC AW11s have kinda bottomed out around $5k and will most likely start to sharply increase in price as people realise their collectability.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.