[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turbo help. My brother is upgrading his turbo and i have a good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: ss+(2015-11-12+at+12.48.25).png (224 KB, 699x942) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-11-12+at+12.48.25).png
224 KB, 699x942
Turbo help.

My brother is upgrading his turbo and i have a good chance of snagging some parts, currently im trying to work out if a "TD05HR-16G6-10.5T" will fit my car.

i understand how to read a compressor map however ive hit a stumbling block i cant see where to work out what CFM / engine RPM The turbine side of the turbo needs to see in order to spool.

According to my calculations here i need to spool the turbo at 105,000rpm but can i actually do that with the airflow of my 1.8L shitbox? at what engine RPM will i start making boost? for how long in RPM will i be at 13psi?
>>
Wayyy too large for your shitbox.
>>
>>13843815
Addendum: You probably won't make over 7-8 psi... At any rpm, especially with a journal bearing turbo.
>>
>>13843820
Why not, according to the compressor map the compressor side is actually really nicely sized for the engine, i just cant find info on the turbine side and how the calculations for that works.
>>
what car/spec you fucking twat?
assuming average 16v shitbox you won't be able to hit 13psi before about 4500rpm without surging.

That said the hotside probably won't let you spool till 5000 anyway.

You need to drop down to a 7cm housing and you might be able to spool 1k earlier
>>
>>13843820
id really like to know how you came up with only getting 7 psi. i dont really know alot, im still reading alot of pages on google.

At 7 psi id still be looking at ~250cfm which would still be a huge improvement over N/A

>>13843828
16v 1800cc
am i right in assuming the "10.5" on the end of the turbo's name is 10.5mm in the housing? other people had mentioned moving to a 6 or 7cm housing.
>>
>>13843839
>am i right in assuming the "10.5" on the end of the turbo's name is 10.5mm in the housing? other people had mentioned moving to a 6 or 7cm housing.
yes, it's the turbine housing size. you need a much smaller one

>16v 1800cc
That could be a B18C or an XU7JP4 or a hundred other engines.
Fuck's sake you're testing.
>>
>>13843839
I pulled it out of my ass, but it shouldn't be too inaccurate.
You can try downloading a desktop dyno and simulating the engine and turbo.
>>
>>13843855
He'll make plenty of boost assuming he can avoid surge and actually spool it, but then he's gonna choke the turbine pretty quick.
So he'll probably end up with a 1000rpm power band or some shit
>>
Yes it will work - will it work well? Not really. Will take ages to spool.. But, whatever do whatever you want. A shit box with a turbo is still a turbo shitbox
>>
>>13843860
disregard this, i suck dicks
it's a 16G not a 20G, and it probably wont choke unless he throws a 1G DSM housing on a 20G
>>
In the end, I'd recommend you to try trading it for a GT28, GT28R or even GTX28R, all of which are properly sized for your engine.
>>
why are people saying this turbo is too big... it's highest efficiency is at 250cfm at only 1.5 pr. this turbo is small. this size is fine for a 1.8.. not ideal, but it's free. probably better sized for a 2.0 or 2.2 if you wanted quick spool.
>>
>>13843820
You're talking shit. I have a 16G on a 2L engine and I'm pushing 20psi. On a pull I make 10psi at 3.500rpm, 18psi at 4.000rpm, 20psi at 4.100rpm.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.