[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So if you liked the Mitsubishi GTO and had the means to buy a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Jw_800.jpg (50 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
Jw_800.jpg
50 KB, 800x531
So if you liked the Mitsubishi GTO and had the means to buy a 1991 Stealth RT Twin Turbo with only 944 miles on it, would you buy it?
>>
File: vA_800.jpg (92 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
vA_800.jpg
92 KB, 800x531
I mean just look at that thing. It's brand new. Even the goddamn floor mats still have the original dealer wrapping. I'm kind of in love.
>>
>>13833442
Someone put caps on those pentagon-shaped holes.

Also, price?
>>
>944 miles

It's been sitting for 20 years, and will probably explode 5 miles down the road if it even turns over
>>
File: 1446841137791.jpg (3 MB, 4128x1819) Image search: [Google]
1446841137791.jpg
3 MB, 4128x1819
>>13833442
I don't like that wing.
>>
It's a car that sat for like two decades. No miles is a bad thing and it'll probably need a ton of expensive work if you ever wanted to drive it.
>>
Has it been ran? If it's just been sitting seals are gonna be toast and it will need engine pulled.
>>
>>13833460

That's my one concern. Given that it has sat for so long, even in a climate controlled environment, it has to have taken some amount of deterioration. That said, there IS a proper way to recondition cars that have sat since new.

>>13833458

But... It does have caps on the pentagon shaped holes... Black ones. Also, price is a lot. Seeing it's brand new, they basically want MSRP for it, which is more than 30k.

My issue is that I've always dreamed of owning one. I remember drooling and obsessing over them endlessly back in 91. Of course I was too young at the time, but I wanted one anyway. Now that I have the means, it's awfully temping.
>>
>>13833480

I've heard that before, and I honestly don't get it. It's more unique than the one on that 98 (or at least I think that's a 98 VR4).
>>
>>13833506
Well, you could have it detailed.
30k is really steep, though.
>>
File: kw_800.jpg (128 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
kw_800.jpg
128 KB, 800x531
>>13833682

Apparently it has been really well cared for, as part of a collection. Amusingly, it sits along side Lambos, Ferraris, and Astons. Not sure why they have the Stealth thrown in, but there it is.

But I have no idea what kind of work it would need to make it road worthy. I imagine seals, and every mount and bushing in the thing, which is doable I guess. I also worry about the fuel system being corroded to hell and back, seeing it looks to have been stored empty, rather than full with stabilizer added.

In any case, even if I made it road worthy, chances are I wouldn't drive it much, but I would still like to take it out every now and then without it puking from every orifice and catching fire.
>>
>>13833442
That's sick. $30k is a lot, but how many can you find in that condition? Basically none.

Always loved stealths / 3000GTs. The stealth in the green color is hnnnggg
>>
>>13833460

This

Also I had a Stealth and it was shit. There was a tripfag here, Foolish I think, who also had a Stealth and it was shit. His was broken even more often than mine was.

That said, if I had space for 2 cars I'd consider getting another one (if and only if the other car was a reliable shitbox that could be guaranteed to start on every day that the Stealth doesn't, which is like once per month). Also set aside a lot of money for maintenance.

They certainly do have their pros, most of which are aesthetic. They're also pretty comfy if you treat the back seats like extra luggage storage. Don't make anyone you like sit back there.
>>
>>13833907
>Also I had a Stealth and it was shit. There was a tripfag here, Foolish I think, who also had a Stealth and it was shit. His was broken even more often than mine was.

How many miles? I imagine these cars start getting really sketchy in the higher miles, 60k or above. By that stage, you might as well trash it and buy something new anyway, especially if the seats are looking like garbage.

>Also set aside a lot of money for maintenance.

Not a problem, and I'm taking delivery of a brand new GT350 this spring, so I'll always have a backup car.

>They certainly do have their pros, most of which are aesthetic.

I've always thought the first gens were beautiful, plus in my mind they had a lot of advanced features for a car in 1991. I'm still tempted.

Perhaps I'll initiate a conversation with the dealer to get a better feel for how it was stored and cared for. If it was run and driven around the block every 6 months or so, it should be mostly ok.
>>
If I was a Jay Leno type with a 50,000 square foot warehouse/auto museum I would totally buy this, get it reconditioned and put 1,000 miles on it a year tops
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.