[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a 1991 chevy Cavalier 2.2 liter rs with 78,000 miles on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
I have a 1991 chevy Cavalier 2.2 liter rs with 78,000 miles on it. Today after driving on the highway for 30mins at 70mph, it died in drive when I came to a stop at a stoplight. I put it into neutral and it idled just fine. Same thing with park. It had trouble accelerating when under 15mph. once I got going it was fine. Any idea what it might be? please help.
>>
Sounds like a misfire, check your ignition system and sparkplugs.
>>
>>13828420
I thought these cars were extinct.
>>
>>13828527

This. Most cavaliers last 8 years of poor maintenance and abuse and then get crushed.
>>
>>13828536
Those models aren't extinct because of being unreliable. Those cars are becoming extinct due to rust.
Those cars will rust to dust before that drivetrain gives up.
>>
If it pulled a code you can read it with a paper clip. If the check engine light is on Google your car. Google your problem anyway and someone else has had this problem.
>>
>>13828420
Hey, same problem as you OP, except mine is a '93. Have changed every electronic sensor in it except for the ignition control module. You might want to try that eh?
>>
Does the engine rev freely without missing in neutral?
>>
Yes it rev's freely in neutral and in park. The check engine light is not on. Also, not quite sure what you mean by pulled a code? sorry, I'm pretty new to mechanics.
>>
>>13828885
>>13828885
on pre-1996 OBD1 cars like your cavalier, if the check engine light is on, you can get codes to give you a place to fix the issue without plugging in anything. connect pins on the connector (always within 12 inches of the steering wheel) with a paper clip, and the check engine light will begin flashing. count the flashes and you have the code. There will be a pause between codes if there are multiple codes. Then look up the codes.

but since your check engine light isn't on, this doesn't apply. Its most likely an ignition issue like spark plugs, spark plug wires, ot ignition control module.
>>
File: shitbox.jpg (76 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
shitbox.jpg
76 KB, 800x600
>>13828420
It could be your idle air control valve or egr valve. I had the exact same thing happen with one of my cars a few months ago.
>>
>>13828668
I live in Arizona, where there is no rust, and I can confirm that these cars are extinct. Even the last gen Cavaliers are becoming rare.
>>
>>13828420
huh, I had a '92 cavalier in college that did the same thing.

I just sold it to a junkyard instead of getting it fixed because I got it for free anyway
>>
File: DSCF4094.jpg (4 MB, 4288x3216) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4094.jpg
4 MB, 4288x3216
All 'bout that J-body life
>>
>>13829854
Sick ferrari
>>
>>13828420
Egr
Maf
Ignition
Vacuum leak
>>
>>13828420
>no one had mentioned most obvious answer

Sounds more like the converter lockup solenoid than anything else mentioned. When it goes bad, it's the same as leaving a manual shift car in gear, them coming to a stop without pushing in the clutch pedal.
>>
>>13828420
Everyone so far has missed the obvious question

>1991 chevy Cavalier 2.2 liter rs with 78,000 miles on it
HOW!?
>24 years old
>only 78,000 miles
>>
>>13833547
It's not that big of a deal is why. My mustang has been my DD since I bought it new in 1994 it only has 92,000.
>>
I'm the ferrari guy, not OP
>>13832194
Already unplugged that thing, seemed to work fine for a couple days but that didn't fix it 'cause it still keeps shutting off.
>>13833547
Mine only has 92,000 km on it (55,200 mi) kek
>>
>>13828420
Idle air control valve/motor

Would cause stalling at idle in drive but no other symptoms.
>>
>>13834433
>already unplugged

So you dropped the transmission pan, bought a new gasket, and a few quarts of trans fluid, to accomplish the same thing as pushing the O/D OFF button? Are you retarded?
>>
>>13837808
Hostile, man.
Anyways, on the front of the transmission you can see the plug for it and that was what I unplugged. I'm not going to start dicking around in the trany for a piece that may or may not fix it in a $500 car
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Bump for crapaliers
>>
>>13838675

Just because you unplugged it doesn't mean it's not still stuck on.
>>
>>13839963
I don't understand how it will drive fine for a few days and then out of the blue will just shut down. You would think it would be a more consistent problem no? Took it to a mechanic already, charged me $200 in labour and $6 for shop supplies.
>>
This thread shall live another day
>>
File: motivator9257371.jpg (57 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
motivator9257371.jpg
57 KB, 750x600
I'll just leave this here.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.