[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm going to bethel, Alaska in 2 months. I was told they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 2013-audi-a4-allroad-121.jpg (431 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
2013-audi-a4-allroad-121.jpg
431 KB, 1920x1280
I'm going to bethel, Alaska in 2 months. I was told they get a lot of snow. I'm driving as I'll need a car for 8 months there for work. I'm still undecided if I should bring my wife's car, a 2013 Audi A4 Quattro Or my winter car, a 2000 5.0 4x4 explorer. The Audi has all season tires and is newer, but the explorer is higher off the ground with MT tires. It's reliable but high miles, the Audi only has 30k

Which one should I bring?
>>
id go with the explorer. you might scratch or hurt the audi with all the dirty snow
get those slush mats too
>>
Hijacking the thread a bit, how's the A4 in general? I'm thinking of selling my 370z for a manual A5 (which is basically an A4) in a few years
>>
Take explorer, natives will probably rape the audi
>>
>>13826226
My wife loves it. She had a 2007 bmw 5 series before this car and she said the Audi is more comfortable and more user friendly. She didnt like the cup holders in the bmw or the accelerator and how even the loaners jerked into 2nd gear. We just bought it 3 months ago actually
>>
>>13826196
The explorer since the audi is your wife's car. btw your a faggot
>>
>>13826250
I have driven it about a dozen times and it's very quiet inside as well. You can hear a pin drop. My only complaint is It's not as powerful I think as her 5 series.
>>
op, how do i get a job in alaska?
>>
>>13826273
I do safety inspections for gold mines. Mostly chemical mines that use cyanide
>>
Take the Explorer. My 2000 Explorer 4x4 has never let me down in winter.
>>
>>13826196

> Alaska
> Polar circle
> Mine inspections

You let that fine Audi stay in the warmer state and take your Explorer which has the ground clearance to plow through polar winter

Ever watched "gold rush" or "Ice road truckers"? You see no car in sedan size ever, it's all trucks and SUVs
>>
>>13826280
holy shit that sounds like one job you need to be super careful at
how did you get that gig?
>>
>>13826311
That's true

>>13826314
My first job was working on a precious metals refinery. Started from there and went to GIA for 6 years planning to grade stones then a mine got my number from my last employer (also a refinery) offering me 18k more starting then diamond grading plus they would pay for all the permits and safety classes I needed to do the job
>>
>>13826250
>>13826271
I suppose there's always the S5 in the event the A5 is underpowered. Interested in a fun car that's also reasonably comfy inside and not slow as fuck in a straight line
>>
>>13826314
If you want to make over 80k starting go to GIA. You'll have that loan layed off in 3 years. I'm making 118k I've been with this company 2years. My first refinery job (doing assaying) I was making 15/hr when I was 18. I'm 29 now
>>
>>13826368
Well she drives like my mother so she's not concerned about acceleration. I would say the Audi is faster from the line then the 5 series. I think BMW is safer as far as crash test ratings but the Audi is far larger and more comfortable. I also didn't like that the bmw didn't have a spare and the battery was inconveniently in the trunk
>>
explorer and studded tires if you can, ice is a bigger problem than snow
>>
>>13826386
How's driver feedback and all of that crap? Pretty interested in that above almost all else
>>
>married
>on 4chan
why?
>>
Take the explorer. That Highway going up to Alaska WILL leave that windshield and front of your vehicle peppered with rock chips and cracks... it is poorly maintained and littered with rough surfaces and potholes too. Don't abuse that poor Audi.
>>
>>13826407
I love the cockpit. Very user friendly. It even monitors tire pressure and tire temp. The settings and the amount of controls take awhile to get used to she said but overall we both like it more then the bmw. I actually test drove it before buying it and I wanted to see how it handled on right turns (like hwy ramps) at high speed compared to the bmw and I took an off ramp at 95 and felt like I could take it 20mph faster. I was impressed with the handling
>>
>>13826439
Handling was one thing I was worried about; or rather steering feedback. What I mean by driver feedback is stuff like pedal response, shifter/clutch feel (probably auto on hers so irrelevant), steering response etc.

Also thanks for all of the responses, especially because I hijacked your thread
>>
>>13826453
Yeah hers is automatic. Uhh....I think I would say it handles more like a luxury car then a sports car (like a Z or a mustang). The steering isn't as tight but pedal response is amazing with this car. My guess is from the turbo. The high speed handling is superior to the Z definitely. I would say better then the same year M3 as well which I also test drove before buying the A4
>>
>>13826196
You need actual snow and ice tires.
>>
>>13826196
Uhh, OP... Alaskan here. There's no road to Bethel. Are you purchasing there, or are you barging it up?

I'd bring the explorer, personally.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.