[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have 40k budgeted for a car. I have a daily, a manual 2013 focus.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
Have 40k budgeted for a car.

I have a daily, a manual 2013 focus.

I'm looking at either getting a solid v8, maybe a tune, exhaust, etc. It'd stay mostly stock. Perhaps a new 2016 camaro ss, or a Boss 302.

My other option, and the one I'm liking more and more, is to get something like a mustang ecoboost as a project car. Do a turbo swap, suspension upgrade, and add a pfi rail to deal with the DI carbon buildup. They're showing they can handle 430 whp without any issues, with quite a few kits out there with a lot of mileage in them.

The project turbo 4 would be more of "my car", and it would be something to work on. Im looking for over 400 whp and under 500whp, as it would be mainly a track/street car. Not a strip car, so much more power than that would be difficult to control. The ecoboost would fit that perfectly. I've owned 4 straight v8s, so I'm feeling more of a "been there, done that" attitude towards the v8 option.

What would o do? No i dont want a c6 z06, or a c5 z06. The c6 has shit valvetrain and the c5 is fucking awful inside.
>>
Good luck with that OP.

(:
>>
>>13823373
You aren't getting a 2012-2013 boss 302 for under 55k unless its been crashed or abused all to hell. I would suggest you drive all 3 american muscle cars an then decide. You could always buy a terminator cobra for around 23k. For that you will get one with pretty low miles and maybe a few mods. You can then sink about 3-4k in mods into it and get around 470whp without a ported blower or 500whp-530whp with a stage 5-6 ported blower. Then save the rest of the money in case you wanted to have more power later its 5k for a twin screw kit and you can make 600whp easy.
>>
You'll most likely have more fun making a project car if it were cheaper
>>
>>13823373
Camaro SS is probably the best of all of those. More power, lighter, best suspension. Unless you're going to go full straight line retard with it, the Camaro will be best.
>>
>>13823630

> terminator cobra
> mods to hit 470 hp

No.

Get a C6 Corvette Z06

> 505 hp right out of the box
> won't depreciate as fast as an early 2000s Mustang
> looks better
> is better
>>
>>13823833
thats 470whp
termi cobras are holding their value very well.
c6 z06 does not look better.
>>
>>13823879
>older
>heavily modified
>600lbs heavier
>can't turn
>>
>>13823373
>they can handle 430 whp
Or you can get a v8 and 430hp will be your starting point instead of your goal
>>
buy a miata and ls swap, throw twin turbos in there and upgrade transmission and suspension
>>
>>13823630
Holy fuck you are dillusional. You can get one with under 10k miles for under $40k. Even Boss 302 LS aren't that expensive
>>
>>13823373
If you're planning to swap the turbo asap wouldn't it make more sense to add that to the v6 model instead of the i4 that comes turbo'd? or do those engines not build power well? just a thought
>>
Focus RS
>>
>>13823373
>Have 40k budgeted for a car.
It's like you hate building credit.
>>
File: turn.jpg (426 KB, 1500x848) Image search: [Google]
turn.jpg
426 KB, 1500x848
or you could get a 13-14 TT coyote for 32-35k
>>
Get a 2014 5.0 Mustang with 10k miles for ~27k.
>>
>>13824046
op just said he does not want a vette, and comparing a mustang to a corvette is retarded anyway
>>
>>13825720
This
>>
>>13823373
>Im looking for over 400 whp and under 500whp, as it would be mainly a track/street car. Not a strip car, so much more power than that would be difficult to control.
No it's not... but believe whatever you want. I've driven 670, 750, and 850 hp Mustangs and you can control them just fine. Idk how you think power works, but it's not like it's dumping all of it on you at all times.

>Boss 302
The S550 GTs with the performance package will consistently beat the 302s and not by a small margin.
That's in your price range, comes with the hp you want, and the IRS and PP upgrades will give you the track handling and performance out of the box that older models won't.

>doing all that shit to an Ecoboost to end up at the same place the GT starts at
kek. literally why? It's going to cost you way more to do all of that to the Ecoboost than you'd drop for the GT + PP anyway.
>>
>>13827877
>It's going to cost you way more to do all of that to the Ecoboost than you'd drop for the GT + PP anyway.

Base model Ecoboost with a MAP turbo kit would put him at 500whp for less than $30k.
>>
>>13828233
That's assuming the turbo kit is the only thing he puts in it and that he does all the work himself. That puts him almost exactly $2k cheaper than the base GT.
Once you include labor costs from a performance shop for installing it you're going to be above the base GT price and with less power. Any other airflow work or whatever else to get it up that 500hp mark you're touting and you're looking at well above that.

Just because the price of a turbo kit says $3500, doesn't mean you're going to get it in your car for that price and certainly not at the top power levels they promise.
>>
>>13823373
>I'm looking at getting a solid v8,
>Mustang Ecoboost.

You know the new Ecoboosts are v4, right?
>>
>>13828550
>v4
>>
>>13828515
>base Ecoboost: $24,275
>MAP bolt on turbo kit with Cobb tuner: $4,515

It's a bolt on so he could install it himself with ease and even if he did have to take it to a shop to get it installed it would still be cheaper than the GT and put out more power at the wheels.
>>
>>13823630
It's easy to find a clean Boss 302 for about 39k
>>
>>13828233
Is this really a fucking thing

My dick

SO HARD

4 cylinder turbo mustang with bolt on 500whp oh my fucking god its SVO days all over again
>>
>>13828576
Like I said, just under the GT base of $30,500. Could install it himself, maybe, but just because it's bolt on doesn't mean your average enthusiast is going to have the tools or ability lying around.

>put out more power at the wheels
No. Not with just the turbo kit and no other work done. He'll put down around 375, maybe 390 if he's lucky.
>>
>>13828636
>4 cylinder turbo mustang with bolt on 500whp
See:
>>13828515
>>13828645
Just because the turbo kit says it CAN do 500whp, doesn't mean you're going to get anywhere near that with just the bolt on kit.
>>
>>13828636
Enjoy your dynoqueen
>>
>>13828645
The GT only puts down 375 at the wheels.
>>
>>13828656
Don't care. Run a shop. Will install kit myself, possibly fabricate it myself. Their kit is only a downpipe/exhaust and an adapter to swap to a different turbo flange.

After that, a local tuner owes me some money. For the cost of a new mustang, a turbo, and some pipe, I can have a near 500whp 4cylinder mustang.

amazing.

>>13828662
Thanks, I will. I have 4 other dynoqueens to keep it company.
>>
>>13828553
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-mustang-23l-ecoboost-first-ride-review

>ENGINE TYPE:
turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection

I'm sorry, I was wrong. It was a straight-4.

Still a 4-cylinder car.
>>
>>13828700
That was a good ruse, m8. You shouldn't have given up on it so easily.
>>
buy a 2016 camaro
>>
File: IMG_20150626_170322.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150626_170322.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>13823373
Modded ecoboost owner here! Just bolt-ons so far but I've done plenty of research.

The novelty of a v8 has worn off for me and feeling a turbo kick in is pretty awesome, so it's worth it in my eyes.

Take a look at MAP's turbo kit and a set of their conrods/pistons if you want to do it right. I'm sure you've already seen this on m6g.
You're not going to need a PFI rail for anything under 500hp unless you're going ethanol for some reason. Just buy a $200 catch can and you'll never ever have to worry about buildup. I put a UPR on mine. I don't like their company but the dual-valve can is well engineered. No need to complicate with piggyback controllers/etc.
>>
>>13829126
By the way, don't forget to put a Steeda or BMR anti-hop solution on the rear subframe. My eco, even with performance package, loves to wheel hop.
>>
>>13823373
Why not get a Focus RS that you can have fun with and DD?

Used Cayman.

Raise your budget and get a Shelby GT350R
>>
>>13823373
>a manual focus

Opinion/Rest of post DISREGARDED

>hur durerurrur ima kek that needs to address that i too am a manual driving kek to make myself more respected in a weaboo image board.
>>
>>13823373
Cts-v
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.