[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wheels(or tires, I forget which term is right)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
I've had this question since years ago and have been wanting to ask you guys for the longest time but I decided to finally go through with it.

Can driving over a wet lane on a highway increase the life of your tires?

I hope to get at least some serious answers after the expected ensuing flaming/trolling from people who will immediately dismiss it as incredibly stupid.
>>
>>13821597
>Can driving over a wet lane on a highway increase the life of your tires?
What exactly do you mean by this?
>>
The idea comes after watching an F1 race years ago where a team had changed into rain tires and the rain didn't get to the track, so the driver was advised to drive over whatever patch of the track was wet from the little rain/mist that got over a little part of the track, to keep the tires cool and from coming apart.
>>
>>13821597
I mean F1 drivers will roll through water to keep the wet tires cool so they don't degrade as fast.

I doubt it will make any difference on road tires.
>>
>>13821620
I think he's asking if wet roads provide less wear n tear than a dry road? Not sure though, and even if that's the case I doubt it would make any difference in hte long run
>>
the tires on your road car are not suffering from thermal degradation, so no
>>
>>13821597
>>13821626

Not to any noticeable degree, no

F1 tires get so hot that you have a chance of physically ruining the rubber due to extensive heat, and the reason why he would be advised to drive onto the wet patches would be to cool his tires down, as either those tires would overheat much more quickly, or the fact that he could go on those areas and cool his tires down more so than he would've been able to with the normal tires

Road tires do not get this hot. By the time you get normal tires that warm you've already worn through to the cord
>>
The tyres rated for use in F1 wet conditions are softer and will degrade really quickly if driven on dry road.

For road conditions with normal tyres, all else being equal, i assume tyres will wear slower if it is wet simply because there is less friction and therefore less chance for rubber to be worn away
>>
>>13821654
>>13821651
so, F1 wet tires are designed to be cooled by the water on the track
when there is no water on the track they overheat and wear faster

road tires aren't designed to the exacting specifications that F1 tires are and have a far wider margin for temperature and would not be affected

>>13821597
disregarding all of this, would passenger car tires wear slower if driven in wet conditions rather than dry?

I could imagine in turns there would be a very small amount of slipping then gripping that would cause slightly more wear than simply going around a dry corner

less overall grip gives more of a chance of sliding/slipping that would result in more tire wear
>>
File: Racing Technique 23.webm (3 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Racing Technique 23.webm
3 MB, 853x480
Just to let it be clear I do understand(or believe) that buying a tire with higher thread wear will have a much higher impact on tire life than this.
But I'm just bored and wanted to discuss with you guys since I've had this thought in the back of my head for years.

Anyways, thank you for your replies.
>>
>>13821736
>left tire completely shits itself as he brakes
I sorta kek'd.
>>
>>13821736
Yes, you can even get super soft "competition use only" wet weather tires that will degrade like the f1 tires in dry weather.

Wet tires in dry weather don't really wear as normal they shred bits, chunks flake off and the tires feel brittle.

I recently had to throw out a pair because i'd totally trashed them.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.