[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last chance diagnostics 1977 Lincoln
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_9521.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9521.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
OK I bought this car 4,000 miles ago.

Within 500 miles of trouble-free driving, it died once as I was coming to a stop. Shook it off, started and drove off.

Since then, it's had a running issue that has gotten worse and worse and worse to the point it's undriveable now!

So I went shotgun on it and started replacing EVERYTHING on the whole damn car!

Symptoms:
#4 cylinder NEVER fires
Engine bucks and gets worse when hotter
Vacuum gauge shakes badly at intake vacuum port
RPM's will decrease by half and die while idling or driving
ALSO, the exhaust makes a weird chirpy squeaky noise!

Replaced:
Cap & Rotor
Duraspark ignition module
Ignition pickup coil
Ignition Coil
Plug Wires
Plugs (x3)
Intake manifold gasket
EGR
PCV

Checked:
Valve timing
Rocker bolt torque (non-adjustable rockers)
Ignition timing
Spark condition
Spark consistency
Voltage at battery
Voltage at coil
Valves appear to open fully
Compression is 150 exactly on all cylinders. Exactly.

#4 plug turns black in no time and I can swear it's just never firing. My master mechanic friend spent an hour on it the other day and when I mentioned #4 not making a difference he said "well I know, cuz I already unplugged it as you were saying it" and eventually gave up and said I had the one Ford issue he's never encountered.

inb4 "billions of vacuum lines" they actually only take-off from three ports on the carb and two on the manifold, all of which I've plugged at the same time and made no difference.

Engine is a 460ci

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zS4mF40zo
>>
You'd be better off finding a specific forum than posting here.
After searching Mk4 Lincoln forum, 460ford seems to be where you should be asking this
>>
>>13815124
Sorry senpai but continentals are shit
If you think I'm wrong just remind yourself of its transmission
>>
>>13815179
Oh yeah, the ole glass C6, right? What a disgrace, that C6. I mean, all those people that buy Lincoln's just to rip out the 460's and C6's to put into mudding trucks and street rods, what are they thinking??

>>13815152
Been there. Everybody is STUMPED.
>>
Check the spark either with a tool or pulling the plug.

Vacuum fluctuation and soot on plug may have a burnt valve? Compression test.
>>
Buy a newer 5.0 engine op and do a swap.

It's the only way
>>
Also possibly a clogged cat.

Why would you think it's not firing on #4 if you already verified spark?

I've never seen an engine with perfectly consistent compression across all cylinder when new.

>I call bullshit
>>
>>13817930
>>13815124
Seconding for swap.

If it's got that much shit wrong with it, it ain't worth it.
>>
>>13815124
I'm no expert but I had a similar problem on my car. Kit car with a ford 2.3 out of a 74 pinto. It started with just uneven idling, and would die once in a while at idle. Continued to get worse, eventually would back fire driving down the road, eventually it just couldn't even continue to run after I started it. Turned out it was bad points. I didn't replace the points at first cause I had just replaced them last year. Should have started there as it would have saved me alot of trouble. One of the things I did replace before finally replacing the points was the ignition coil. My old ignition coil did NOT need the ballast hooked up. The replacement I got DID need the ballast, so when I hooked it up with new points they burned VERY quickly.
I'm not saying its the same problem I have, but it sounds like electrical to me, and problems like these can be very tricky, even if you think you've covered everything
>>
>>13815124
replace MAF
Fuel pump
if you notice electrical test alternator
replace all plugs
and fuel filters
>>
>>13815124
>#4 cylinder NEVER fires
kek
just sell it
>>
>>13815124
Hope you figure it out, OP. While I don't much care for the color of yours, I have a secret soft spot for land yachts, and the MkIV Continental is my favorite of them all.
>>
File: flatlobe.jpg (17 KB, 447x335) Image search: [Google]
flatlobe.jpg
17 KB, 447x335
>>13815124
I'm gonna go with a flat cam on this one. That will cause all sorts of driveability issues. Exhaust lobes flat tends to show up as a rapid popping out of the carb on snap acceleration and flat intake lobes tend to sound like an erratic "thwip" sound out the exhaust. All while having an odd vibration at idle that's not really a single cylinder miss but not smooth either.

>clogged cats

During this era Lincoln used a dual-wall exhaust pipe for noise reduction and sometimes the inner wall will protrude into the middle of the pipe blocking flow. This can also cause some odd driveability issues. It might be easiest at this point to drop the exhaust off the manifolds and see if the thing improves considerably (it'll be a night and day type difference if it's a problem)
>>
>>13815124
Put the correct gas.
>>
File: IMG_9858.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9858.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13817939
How ready are you to be wrong?

>>
>>13815124

How the fuck did this make 166 hp new with an engine bay that huge.
>>
File: IMG_9859.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9859.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13820149
Thanks for this input, but in my case the car came with the endearing Duraspark ignition. The damn things never die. Even when the car is dying, the timing doesn't move or spark doesn't miss. I have a timing tape on my flywheel that shows TDC for all cylinders. All are the same and consistent.

>>
File: IMG_9860.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9860.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13821062
I believe you. What you describe with the intake is actually very much what I'm feeling here. I guess the only way is to get a dial gauge on the rocker, eh?

I didn't know about the double-wall pipe. I'll have to check that. I have replaced everything from the cat-back with dual H-pipes and Magnaflows. Actually it came from the factory with dual H-pipes, but they were rusted out so...

>>
>>13822497
the power of SCIENCE

switching from SAE gross to net and an inability/lack of motivation to meet poorly drafted clean air standards
>>
>>13821062
>>13822504
A worn lobe is pretty rare. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case though.
>>
File: IMG_9862.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9862.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13822506
It was easier to choke an already tested and in-production motor than to get to the drawing board and have nothing to sell for seven or ten years.

They retarded the camshaft timing which decreased dynamic compression by essentially decreasing the amount of air it moved. Basically it was like cutting several cubic-inches off of the displacement.

They added AIR injection which is actually not a bad thing at all. It allows the exhaust to burn more thoroughly.

EGR is another tack-on that actually isn't as bad as many people think. It's not really power-robbing unless you're counting your microwatts. It helps cool the engine at idle and actually does decrease emissions.

They also increased the deck-height of the block and added meat to the heads as well, increasing actual displacement but giving an ABYSMAL compression ratio.

I've already rephased the camshaft to 0ยบ so it's like it was designed to be. Now I just need to deck the block just enough to run 89 pump. The thing already pulls 30-foot burnouts.

>>
File: IMG_9863.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9863.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13822512
I blame modern oil... No zink.

>>
>>13822512
Not real common on Fords but I've seen a few, some FE's and one Mark III. And this was in the early Nineties way before zinc was removed.

Mid Eighties GM's were the leaders in flat cams. Mostly the Caddy 4.1, but Chevy 305's had it happen often enough to be notable.

I should mention this was on factory engines. Aftermarket cams go flat a lot due to improper break-in procedures, etc.
>>
I'll just leave this here.
>>
>>13822512
>A worn lobe is pretty rare.
I beg to disagree, flat-tappet V-engines were quite prone to it at high mileage. In the late 80's my dad bought a V6 Citation with a flat lobe and torched a hole in the wheelwell so he could change the cam with the engine in the car. Most of the literature on old SBC rebuilding will tell you to replace the cam every time, even if just with another OEM grind, because they wear down so much.

I'm sure the flat-tappet fords are the same way, because why wouldn't they be.

But it's very easy to check for. Pop a valve cover, measure how much the rockers move when you trigger the starter.

>I've never seen an engine with perfectly consistent compression across all cylinder when new.

And you still haven't, you've just seen something that eventually achieved a very equal amount of worn-out. 150psi is serious wheezer territory, even for these old low-compression engines. In my experience, the cylinder to cylinder comparisions get closer and closer as engines age, right up until the point where something fails and one drops into double digits.
>>
>>13822497
166 hp would have been with the 400M, not the 460. The 460 made 208 hp.

But how the fuck only toyobaru power?

>8.0:1 compression for early unleaded gas
>Camshaft profile for over 350 lb-ft of torque just off idle.
>Full-throttle shift point around 4000 rpm.
>>
File: IMG_9864.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9864.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13824086
It's no wonder this engine became the basis for the PowerStroke.

In those days, it was about driving a tall final-drive and 3 tall gears in the box, if not a whopping FOUR gears. So to save fuel and make it on the highway, you needed TORQUE to push the tall ratio.

Then came the japs and their high-reving motors with FIVE FUCKING, yes FIVE, FIVE FUCKING GEARS! THE FIRST OF WHICH WOULDN'T MAKE IT TO 20MPH. Heh.

120psi is where these motors get decroded. 150-175 is perfectly healthy.

>>
File: IMG_9865.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9865.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13817939
>>I call bullshit

Are you ready, anon?

>>
>>13815124
It's a beautiful car anon I hope you find what's wrong.
>>
>>13824241
FWIW, back in my day I'd have been suspicious too and would've grabbed another compression gauge just to double check a couple of cylinders. Got burned enough with crazy oddball shit that I was paranoid about everything
>>
File: IMG_9866.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9866.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>13824305
No crap, I hear these stories all the time.

I'm a full-time moto mechanic at the dealer and before recently we would repair bikes made after '85. (Now we won't do anything before '96) In those days, I would get CONSTANT orders for "low end knock" and expect to pull a motor and replace rods.

Turns out, it's just the sound of the clutch moving laterally as it idles. Literally nothing wrong, did that same thing right from the factory.

Those days are gone but now we get people ordering carb cleaning for bikes that are fuel injected...

#8. TADAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
Does this shitbox have an EGR setup?
Might be stuck open and dumping exhaust gas back into the intake and #4 is the closest port to that
>>
>>13826110
New EGR valve. Now I'm suspecting the EGR plate gasket I guess. I'll tear it off tomorrow.
>>
File: IMG_1348.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1348.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>13826110
this faggot is onto something.

Removed the carb and EGR plate and found pic related!!! Pic related all over the fucking place!

OK so it looks like the EGR is leaking into one of the secondaries. It also looks like the carb is fucking flooding...
>>
>>13827417
im sorry but your mechanic should have caught that
>>
>>13827435
Well he DID say it sounds like a stuck EGR valve, but I told him I replaced it so we dropped it.

I guess I'll clean this shit up and get new gaskets and test my carb to see if it really is overflowing even though I've set the fuel height.
>>
>>13827486
Yep, $14.98+tax. If this works I'm going to pound anon's boy pussy till it bleeds.
>>
File: 1441302975428.png (327 KB, 2499x2641) Image search: [Google]
1441302975428.png
327 KB, 2499x2641
>>13827539
desu senpai
>>
What if I told you...
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.