[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (315 KB, 1200x725) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
315 KB, 1200x725
Please don't get offended but: Why are American sportscars technically and aesthetically behind European cars? They lose in every direct comparison (Top Gear, Fifth Gear etc.) and have not a very good built-quality.
So my question is: USA is a high-tech country and their products dominate the world EXCEPT their sportscars. Why is that?
>>
Anon this is a shitpost and you know it

>top gear
>>
top gear hates all american cars.
>>
>>13815100
It's all just a script anyway, they seem to 180 on them almost constantly.
>>
Our products dominate the world. KEK

Our defense budget maybe
>>
>>13815090
> viper damage control thread #12
>>
Do you really think that a british show would say that the U.S. is superior
>>
File: viper_acr.jpg (141 KB, 1600x800) Image search: [Google]
viper_acr.jpg
141 KB, 1600x800
Forgot about this for a second. Last time I checked, we are dominating.
>>
>>13815090
entirely different car pedigree, and entirely different tastes.

European sportscars have more racing heritage, and also general European precision in mind. Europe is a cluttered place, which is why they prefer smaller cars that can go around a tight corner

American cars are a product of American roads and countryside. route 66, shit like that. those long stretches of country road where precision doesnt matter so much as being able to go fast in a single direction. The more relevant US auto hometowns were more about long stretches and big roads, not as much twisty curvy like Europe.

The US also had VERY cheap oil once upon a time, so you could make a car as big and loud and thirsty as you wanted because it didnt matter. fuel was cheap.

that said, American Spotscars have never really broken from the 60's model, because it's become tradition by this point, and its what people want. they want a big mustang with a big V8, because that's "manly".

Also US automakers just havent felt that theres really an audience for Europe style high quality sportscars in the US
>>
>>13815127
Here is an example of when europeans build a car that is just a numbers track monster like the Z06 and the Z28

Also inb4 buttmad Americans try to say "its top gear so its not relevant"
>>
>>13815299
This
>>
File: c5.jpg (152 KB, 2180x904) Image search: [Google]
c5.jpg
152 KB, 2180x904
>>13815090
>technically
I'll give you that one.
>aesthetically
It's a matter of taste, and I would disagree. I find a lot of Euro cars to be overdesigned and too curvey. I love the simplicity in, say, pic related.
>>
>>13815090
>They lose in every direct comparison (Top Gear, Fifth Gear etc.)
Think good and hard about which country those shows are made in and you'll have your answer.
>>
>>13815337
damage control
>>
>>13815299
>those long stretches of country road where precision doesnt matter so much as being able to go fast in a single direction

Any Euro who actually thinks that most, or even particularly many "country roads" in the U.S. are like this has literally only ever gotten information about American from Top Gear and has never actually been to the American back country.
>>
>>13815299
This , American cars are too big and heavy for the European ones
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (716 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
716 KB, 1920x1080
>>13815362
It depends on what part of the country, really.

What is the case for Appalachia isn't the same as it would be for the midwest or west.
>>
>>13815362
I am murrikan.

But i havent been either way. I get my info from old movies.

And the fact that regardless, American roads tend to be bigger than european ones, and more straight lines, less turns and shit. ESPECIALLY highways
>>
>>13815354
the ironing
>>
>>13815373
Yes, most of the ones that ARE like that are found in the Plains or the desert states, as there's fewer things like mountains and heavy terrain variation to demand tighter, twistier roads.

These roads are also really scenic, so they're the ones that get exposure in media a lot. But they're not the entirety of the back country, far from it.
>>
File: deals021.jpg (97 KB, 712x793) Image search: [Google]
deals021.jpg
97 KB, 712x793
>>13815375
Like that other anon said, location is everything.
>>
>>13815354
It's hardly damage control when they've got a very clear pro-Euro bias.

The newer model Mustang GT is pretty much identical in performance to the same year BMW M3 and half the price, but do you see Top Gear singing its praises?

No, they're bitching and moaning about the "cheapness" of the interior compared to the European car.
>>
>>13815337
>which country those shows are made in

Guess that would be the first time there was ever bias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqkyWhVBSKU&ab_channel=MotorTrendChannel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NBOjGyGmz4&ab_channel=MotorWeek
>>
>>13815362
There are lots of states where most roads are straight only. Sure there are lots of twisty American roads, but most are straight. Racing in the US evolved from stoplight racing and hgihway racing. In my whole state there are barely any real twisty roads (Texas). It's the same way for lots of southern and mid western states. Even then, most Americans live in cities, where twisty roads are a good drive away. These cities have long and wide highways, perfect for racing.
>>
>>13815404
They're a thing, but they're still not the majority of the back country. There's a ton of twisty roads, but they never get attention outside of America to keep up the HURR AMERICANS DON'T KNOW WHAT A HAIRPIN IS myth.
>>
>>13815362
>information about American from Top Gear

Except top gear have made it clear plenty of times that Americans have good roads

Educate yourself before crying muh topgear bogeyman
>>
>>13815332
yeah just look at those simple lines >>13812349
>>
File: photo056[1].jpg (60 KB, 665x405) Image search: [Google]
photo056[1].jpg
60 KB, 665x405
>>13815384
Ok, if you don't want a scenic highway, here's a typical highway in Kansas.

I know you're some coastal shithead who thinks that your particular liberal paradise is what the majority of the country is like, but in reality the vast majority of highway mileage in the US looks just like this, or just like this with more desert and mountains.
>>
>>13815420
>Except top gear have made it clear plenty of times that Americans have good roads

Mostly in praise of the road surface quality rather than the driveability. And the number of "American roads have no corners" quips still greatly outweighs the other side. It's the roadway equivalent of a black best friend.
>>
>>13815436
Liberal my ass, I live in Ohio. Though I've been around enough to know better than to assume that pure straight roads are the majority.
>>
>>13815416
I live in the US, I know twisty roads exist. Long, wide highways that are easily accessible by anyone are much more common. In Texas, you have to go out Hill country to get some okay roads. This is the case for many southern, western and Mid western states.

In states like Pennsylvania twisty roads are every where. My brother is in Pennsylvania right now, and I am amazed by the roads there. I wish Texas looked like that. If you live in a north eastern state or on the west coast you have a lot of good roads, but for the majority of us are options for twisty roads are limited. Our highways though, some of if not the widest and longest in the world.
>>
>>13815439
> "American roads have no corners" quips still greatly outweighs the other side

They really don't though, Id like to see examples of this

>Mostly in praise of the road surface

lol wut
>>
>>13815447

I've been across the us north and west

Pennsylvania and Tennessee had curvy roads.

But georgia, florida, ny, VA had straight roads with slightly curves now and then.

Going across to califorina was not a curve to be found
>>
>>13815447
The interstates are, yeah, but even in Texas (which I have been to I might add) I never really had trouble finding a good number of roads with curves. Basically anything bigger than a state route out west of the Mississippi is going to be more straight, but there's a ton of little no-name country roads out there that aren't. Least where I was. Where in Texas are you?
>>
>>13815452
there's shit like the Tail of the Dragon, but roads like it are few and far between. Most roads in the country are long and relatively straight.
>>
>>13815456
Southeastern Ohio and West Virginia have a good number of twisting roads too. So does North Carolina in the west, not sure how it is in the south (or, for that matter, South Carolina).
>>
>>13815467
They really aren't that few or far between.
>>
>>13815467
I agree from what I've seen, I was just talking about top gear 2bh
>>
>>13815471
Yes they are. Stop assuming that the entire country is Appalachia.
>>
>>13815484
The entire country isn't Appalachia, but neither is the entire country the Plains. I've actually left my home state, I know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>13815468

I'm talking mostly main roads. You can find twisty if you go out into the mountains of ga like blood mountian.

Florida and south ga you won't find a single twisty road
>>
>>13815458
Houston. I have found a few farm roads that are good, but nothing out standing. In Austin there are some good roads, and up near Oklahoma you can find some decent ones. In Houston though, I can find some that will do.
>>
>>13815487
Fair, I've mostly been talking the back roads. Actually IMPORTANT roads like interstates and major state highways? Yeah, straight as an arrow and wider than a whore's asshole.
>>
>>13815497

If you have a motor cycle blood mountain is fun as fuck.
>>
>>13815299
>The US also had VERY cheap oil once upon a time
it goes deeper than that America had a shit load of surface coal
where as the British coal was just deep enough to require the use of steam powered mining methods
>>
>>13815486
The vast majority is plains or basin and range. That's flat land with long, straight roads.

Everything west of the Mississippi is straight roads with the exception of a few mountain passes and areas like southern California and the Ozarks.
>>
>>13815511
Oh that's fuckin' glorious right there.

>>13815514
Pretty much. I think they also didn't mention the fact that we have no displacement tax?

That said, I also want to point out that American cars even in the 60s and very early 70s (before the oil crisis) have more international racing cred than a lot of Euros assume. You can see shit like Ford Galaxies and Fairlanes doing a lot of damage in the BSCC, for example, and American muscle cars being pretty dominant in the ATCC.
>>
>>13815515
Yet I never seemed to fail to find at least some twists when I went there. Fewer, yeah, but never none. Point still stands--there's a ton of driver's roads in the States, more than most folks outside give us credit for.
>>
>>13815317
>American engineered
>American designed
>American built
>somehow european
>>
>>13815090
>(Top Gear, Fifth Gear etc.
LMAO F.AM
M
A
O

F
A
M
>>
>>13815543
But far less, more out of the way, and smaller. For most people, stop light racing and highways are all there are.
>>
>>13815127
>made by FCA
>american
huehue
>>
>>13817953
see >>13817862
By your logic Aston Martins are American and Volvos are Chinese.
>>
americans can only make engines
>>
>>13817862
the engine was made by lamborghini tho
>>
>>13817958
Except Aston Martin is owned by the guy who founded Prodrive, and some other people in a consortium.
>>
>>13817965
>americans can make engines
This made me lel a little. I hope this is b8
>>
>>13817969
As far as I know they had them cast some prototype blocks, IIRC Dodge did the engineering for the blocks and the casting for the production ones.
>>
>>13817978
Aren't they still owned by Ford or am I mistaken?
>>
>>13817986
They are not anymore
>>
>>13817986
Not since 2007.
>>
>>13817981
how so?

american engines are good because, as opposed to europeans and some japanese manufacturers, they are standarized

the engine in a corvette is similar to the engine in a silverado, as opposed to the engine in a c-class and a transporter

on the opposite, the chassis are shit because of this
>camaro is the same chassis as a holden ute
>challenger same chassis as a charger

it always been this way, the classic musclecars had the same frame as wagons and sedans, which resulted in poor handling
the only good american chassis are either kit cars or made with yurop/japan
>>
>>13817984
no, lamborghini did the engineering
>>
>>13815090
Op you dumb shit show me a European car that is better than that corvette at that period in time. You can't.
>>
File: 993turbo_backview.jpg (601 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
993turbo_backview.jpg
601 KB, 1600x1200
>>13817997
>>
>>13817992
The problem is that the Corvette has an engine similar to a truck engine
>>
>>13817994
Further research has led me to conclude that engineers from both companies were fairly equally involved. Kind of hard to say because the details are so sketchy.
>>
>>13818007
no
thats exactly the bonus

its like japan

the RB and JZ are good because they were used in taxis and were mass produced, the K series from Honda and mitsu 4g63 were used in several econoboxes
>>
>>13818007
Why fix what ain't broke? (C7 Z06 excluded, fix that shit) It still makes power, and it's not like everything is the same, just the basic architecture. Same thing with the old Ford 302s, while technically a 90s Explorer and an 80s Mustang shared the same block, they had different cams, heads, etc, so they performed very differently.
>>
>>13818005
Not better.
>>
>>13818022
>being this delusional

Literally every european sports car was better than that piece of shit C4.
>>
>>13818032
Prove it. I don't believe what anyone here says until there's proof. And I know the corvette is better. Prove me wrong. Then I'll be a man and back down.
>>
>>13818039
The burden of proof rests upon you, not me.
>>
>>13818068
You claimed the Porsche was better. Prove it.
>>
>>13818097
You claimed the Corvette was better first, actually.
>>
>>13818103
Prove the Porsche is better. If you don't then I've proven to myself you're a liar.
>>
>>13815373
This why I really like where I live, the roads at least. I live right on the tail end of the Appalachians and it's a very nice balance of long and straight and windy roads
>>
>>13818039
Porsche and Lotus had to whine and get the C4 banned because they couldn't beat it.
>>
>>13817881
I still contest "far" less, though I never really contested "fewer" and still assert that most Euros could find themselves on a good one inside of an hour if they actually came out here rather than listening to Topkek.
>>
>>13818253
Lol this is great to know. Please post an article or cudgel.
>>
>>13815125
Didn't jc say he'd rather get a z06 over an Audi r8?
>>
>>13818469
You are right. But the US is a big place, and while those roads exist highways and straight roads are far more common. That is why most people value straight line speed over precision and handling.
>>
>>13815299

>straight roads
lmao you think america sportcars manufactures made shitty sportcars because the concept of turning isn't known to the average american? Like, race tracks and curvy roads don't exist here?

The best driving roads in the world are literally situated in the mountains around San Francisco.
>>
>>13818607
Hot damn, that's nice.
>>
>>13818607
See >>13818524
>>
>>13815398
went out to deals gap for Tail of the Dragon, great road, great area too
>>
>>13818500
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/1999-porsche-911-996-vs-2014-chevrolet-corvette-z51-i-k-1685627993

Here is proof that Corvette > Porsche. Owned. I did my own research and blew up your opinions.
>>
File: 1446082040374.jpg (138 KB, 941x960) Image search: [Google]
1446082040374.jpg
138 KB, 941x960
Americans dominate in things such as drag racing, pulling, and generally just sheer power.

Where as Europeans dominate in things such as F1 racing, Le Mans, and generally track oriented racing.

I like to use their millitary stratigies as an analogy, Americans prefer Shock and Awe, Europeans prefer the more precise, surgical operations.
>>
>>13821095
>I like to use their millitary stratigies as an analogy, Americans prefer Shock and Awe, Europeans prefer the more precise, surgical operations.
But that's bullshit.. Europeans prefer to sit back and let America do everything.
>>
>>13818661
Yeah. Just gotta be careful because cops like to patrol the hell out of it.
>>
File: havin a picnic.jpg (314 KB, 2000x1300) Image search: [Google]
havin a picnic.jpg
314 KB, 2000x1300
>>13821110
ayee you know what happens when euro powers bring the banter
>>
>>13821155
Yeah. They get stuck in a stalemate until America comes to save the day.
>>
>>13821164
easy to say that with most of the water on earth guarding you
>>
>>13821164
>ww1
Triple Entente victory

>ww2
soviet victory
>>
Because ours are cheap to fix
>>
ausfag here, so unbias

american supercars have always been more everyman supercars, something the regular joe may one day afford

european supercars are just for rich snobs who usually don't even earn their own money

leading to a discrepancy
>>
>>13821229
>Soviet victory

Because the Britts dragged ass all the way to Berlin.
>>
>>13821183
>implying water isn't the only reason the UK hasent ceased to exist
>>
>>13821278
to add upon this, as others have said the cars are shaped by their nations. the great american road trip is usually a longass highway with shit to see, leading to more of a focus on comfort and cruising. european roads and road trips seem to be more through windy roads, with cities and towns all throughout. the lack of ability to show off on route 66 and alike probably led to the american cars falling behind on the show off factor and the european cars excelling
>>
>>13821301
well, they just showed off on a different way on those roads. became about acceleration and top speed rather than chassis control.
>>
>>13821298
even with that being the case
108 million square miles of sea keeps the usa comfy
>>
>>13821348
i mean density too, american cars seem to be to be crafted around the person in it, european cars around the people watching
>>
>>13821349
>implying America disnt stop a Japanese invasion
>implying America didn't repel a British Invasion
>twice
>implying Alaska is 108 million square miles from Russia
>Implying I'm even American
>>
>>13817997
>>13818039
>>13818124
>that is better

How do you even respond to nonsense like this
>>
Except the newer Corvettes handle great and are very affordable compared to European equivalents. It's a sportscar average people can actually afford and it's great.

This coming from a European.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.