[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone redpill me on private parking lots, and the street
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /o/ - Auto

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151014_103754.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151014_103754.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Can someone redpill me on private parking lots, and the street signs there.

I will use Chicago as an example.
For any mall, or strip mall in Chicago, the parking lots are always private. That means that any traffic signs, stop signs, speed limits, handicap parking are not enforceable by the city. You can tell this by looking at the sign, any signs that the city puts up will have a City of Chicago or Cook County writing on them, followed by some numbers. The signs in private lots lack this.
I've been told as an example, if you park in a handicap space on a private lot, the signs there, and the fine is unenforceable by the city. The business owner can have your car towed, but the city cannot fine you.

So how about stop signs? Those are on private land, and cannot be enforced. Same goes for any posted speed limit signs.

But, fire parking signs are posted by the city, and are enforceable.

So my question is this, what can city cops actually do if you are doing something stupid in a parking lot, like speeding. Is there a city wide speed limit that covers private land? You can get a ticket for doing a burn out in a parking lot, disturbing the peace. You can get a reckless driving one as well. Do these hold up in court though?

Anyone know these rules in detail that can clear things up?
>>
>>13653856
>So how about stop signs?
Just follow them.
>>
>>13653856

Can city cops arrest you if they see you stealing something from private land?

There's your answer, moron.
>>
If the stop sign isn't registered with the state's DOT then you don't have to follow it.

I don't park in handicap spots because I don't need any more bad karma in my life.
>>
>>13653910
I'm not talking about laws, I'm asking about street signs, and rules of the road enforcement.

>>13653916
I don't ever park in handicap spots because I'm not an entitled douchebag. I only used it as an example.
>>
>>13653856
I work as a security officer at a large mall (pathetic, I know, but atleast its fun) and it really depends on where you are at. I work in PA, and all the roads and parking lots on our property are private. Therefore, stop signs, yield signs, speed limits etc. Can't be enforced with typical speeding, failure to yield, etc. citations. Within the township I work in there is an ordinance that allows municipal officers to issue "careless (or reckless, can't remember which) driving on private property" citations. These citations are defined the exact same as PA title 75 (I think) defines careless/reckless driving, and an offender will usually have the same punishment as if it were careless/reckless driving on a public road way.
Typically most officers that do stop people on our property only issue warnings cause they don't want to deal with the "hur dur it was on private property" bullshit. As for handicap spots, those are part of state law and are enforced as such. Fire lane restrictions, atleast within the township I work in, are regulated by local ordinances, but I'm sure there are also state regulations.
>>
>>13654257
Additionally, while it may be the policy of the private property owner for all patrons to obey local, state and federal laws (Ex. speeding) the most they can do is ask someone to leave/ban them permanently from the property.
>>
625 ILCS 5/11-209
> (d) At such time as parking and traffic regulations have been established at any parking area pursuant to the contract as provided for in this Section, then it shall be a petty offense for any person to do any act forbidden or to fail to perform any act required by such parking or traffic regulation. If the violation is the parking in a parking space reserved for persons with disabilities under paragraph (11) of this Section, by a person without special registration plates issued to a person with disabilities, as defined by Section 1-159.1, pursuant to Section 3-616 of this Code, or to a veteran with a disability pursuant to Section 3-609 of this Code, the local police of the contracting corporate municipal authorities shall issue a parking ticket to such parking violator and issue a fine in accordance with Section 11-1301.3.
>[...]
>(l) The provisions of this Section shall not be deemed to prevent local authorities from enforcing, on private property, local ordinances imposing fines, in accordance with Section 11-1301.3, as penalties for use of any parking place reserved for persons with disabilities, as defined by Section 1-159.1, or veterans with disabilities by any person using a motor vehicle not bearing registration plates specified in Section 11-1301.1 or a special decal or device as defined in Section 11-1301.2 as evidence that the vehicle is operated by or for a person with disabilities or a veteran with a disability.
Per IL law, cops can ticket you on private property for parking in a disabled spot without the appropriate placard or license plates.
>>
>>13653856
It depends where you are. I'm not familiar with Chicago's laws but in Ontario, they can't do anything if you're on private property because the highway traffic act doesn't cover it.
>>
>>13654294 (Cont)
>So how about stop signs? Those are on private land, and cannot be enforced. Same goes for any posted speed limit signs.
Same section.
>The corporate authorities of any municipality or the county board of any county, and a school board, hospital, church, condominium complex unit owners' association, or owner of any commercial and industrial facility, shopping center, or apartment complex which controls a parking area located within the limits of the municipality, or outside the limits of the municipality and within the boundaries of the county, may, by contract, empower the municipality or county to regulate the parking of automobiles and the traffic at such parking area. Such contract shall empower the municipality or county to accomplish all or any part of the following:
>1. The erection of stop signs, flashing signals, person with disabilities parking area signs or yield signs at specified locations in a parking area and the adoption of appropriate regulations thereto pertaining, or the designation of any intersection in the parking area as a stop intersection or as a yield intersection and the ordering of like signs or signals at one or more entrances to such intersection, subject to the provisions of this Chapter.
>[...]
>(d) At such time as parking and traffic regulations have been established at any parking area pursuant to the contract as provided for in this Section, then it shall be a petty offense for any person to do any act forbidden or to fail to perform any act required by such parking or traffic regulation.
>>
>>13654319 (Cont)
>posted speed limit
Same section.
>12. Contracting for such additional reasonable rulesand regulations with respect to traffic and parking in a parking area as local conditions may require for the safety and convenience of the public or of the users of the parking area.

>Fire lanes
Same section.
>7. The designation of safety zones in the parking area and fire lanes.

For everything except the handicap parking violation, it's a petty offense. Get three in a year and IL will suspend your license for 12 months.
>>
Thanks all
>>
As a cripple, I think handicapped parking violations should come with points.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.