[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Murder by American marine deployed in Okinawa sparks protests
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 0
http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21701166-murder-american-sparks-protests-okinawa-rinas-legacy?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/ed/rinaslegacy

>FLOWERS and tributes left by angry Okinawans surround a makeshift shrine on the country road where Rina Shimabukuro’s body was dumped. The only suspect in her rape and murder, Kenneth Franklin Gadson, a former American marine, led police to this remote spot after he was arrested in April.

>Ms Shimabukuro, who was just 20 when she was killed, has become the latest symbol in a conflict over American military bases that has raged for decades. On June 19th an estimated 65,000 people mourned her at a stadium in Naha, Okinawa’s prefectural capital. A letter from her father urged Okinawans to unite and demand that American soldiers leave. It was among the biggest such protests in years, and one of the most passionate.

>America has 85 military facilities throughout Japan, but three-quarters of the area they occupy is in Okinawa. Futenma, a marine airbase, occupies nearly two square miles in the crowded centre of Ginowan, a small city. In 1996, after three American servicemen were convicted of raping a 12-year-old Japanese girl, America and Japan agreed to close the ageing facility and build a replacement near the quiet fishing village of Henoko.

>Peter Lee, Futenma’s commanding officer, blames hostile media coverage for obscuring the strengths of the Japan-US military alliance. American soldiers commit fewer crimes per head than locals do. But perception trumps reality. In late May, military officials imposed a one-month curfew and alcohol ban on all service members. A few weeks later an off-duty sailor driving at six times the legal alcohol limit crashed into two cars.
>>
I feel bad for Okinawans, having to deal with so many braindead burgers.
>>
article with a photo of both the victim and the arrested:

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/murder-rape-charges-recommended-in-okinawa-woman-s-death-1.413845
>>
>>53280
I'm not surprised a small event like this would cause them to explode with outrage. They've been wanting something--anything to happen to jump on and justify wanting the American military to leave.

But I don't really blame them.
>>
>>53569
It was a dindu, what a surprize
>>
>>53606
That might piss 'em off deep down more than the fact he was American.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.