[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New elements on the periodic table are named
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/08/health/periodic-table-new-elements-names/

>Meet nihonium (Nh), moscovium (Mc), tennessine (Ts) and oganesson (Og), the newest elements on the periodic table to receive names. But don't get too attached to the nomenclature for these elements, formerly known by their respective atomic numbers 113, 115, 117 and 118. The names are on a five-month probation before things are made official.

>The elements were recognized by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, or IUPAC, the U.S.-based world authority on chemistry, on December 30, 2015. Their addition completed the seventh row of the periodic table.

>The discoverers of the elements were invited to propose the names, and now a public review of the names begins, expiring on November 8, 2016. If you feel strongly about these names, the union invites you to provide comments and feedback
>>
Do we know how these chemicals react?
>>
Just out of lazy curiosity
>>
>>48980
very little is known about these elements and their properties. The half-lifes are very short. I don't think anyone has obtained a long enough lasting sample to be able to test its reactivity with other elements and compounds but scientists can make educated guesses. If you look up each of the elements by their numbers you can find their old temporary names to look up the properties of. Here is 115 (Moscovium):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununpentium
>>
I like the names. Certainly better than ununpentium and all the other 'unun' names.
>>
>>48980
>>48983
Most of them have never been photographed because they exist for a few micro or nano seconds and are literally particles.
>>
Element 117 should have been named Spartanium
>>
(((Jidf))) im here if u want me
>>
>>48980

They're just fabricated by smashing atoms together and don't last very long. You'd expect them to behave somewhat similarly to other elements in it's respective column.
>>
Essentially it's just a scam by periodic table manufacturers/printers to force academic institutions to constantly keep updating their no doubt overly expensive periodic table posters.
>>
>>49206
This is the most cynical post I'll read on the internet today.
>>
>>49207
This is the most reddit post I've read on the internet today
>>
>>49227
This is the worst strategy for defending a post I've seen today.
>>
my body is 70% nihonium
>>
>>49435
>>49437

STFU.gif
>>
>>49206
>yes the dog eat dog world of periodic table printing

Truly there is nothing they won't do
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.