[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
China blamed for massive cyber-attack on Australian BOM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: australiangov.jpg (35 KB, 650x455) Image search: [Google]
australiangov.jpg
35 KB, 650x455
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/china-blamed-for-cyber-attack-on-bureau-of-meteorology/6993278

>China is being blamed for a major cyber attack on the computers at the Bureau of Meteorology, which has compromised sensitive systems across the Federal Government. Multiple official sources have confirmed the recent attack and the ABC has been told it will cost millions of dollars to plug the security breach, as other agencies have also been affected.

>The bureau owns one of Australia's largest supercomputers and provides critical information to a host of agencies. Its systems straddle the nation, including one link into the Department of Defence at Russell Offices in Canberra. But the ABC has been told this is a "massive" breach and one official said there was little doubt where it came from. "It's China," he said. The motivation for the attack on the bureau could be commercial, strategic or both. The bureau is a critical national resource and another state would place a high value on its intellectual property and scientific research. In the event of a conflict, compromising Australia's ability to accurately forecast weather would affect the operation of military and commercial aircraft.

>Beyond that, the bureau provides a gateway to other agencies. In March the Bureau's chief executive Robert Vertessy told Radio National that his agency had evolved "from what was once just a straight weather service to what I would call now a more broad-based environmental intelligence agency". It provides weather and climate forecasting, tsunami warnings, tide predictions, water resources and even space weather. There is no clear picture yet how much the breach will cost to fix or how long it will take but the critical nature of the bureau's services means its systems cannot be switched off for repair.

>In the words of one source: "It could take years and cost hundreds of millions of dollars to fix."

YOOO WHAT THE FUCK CHINA
>>
I hope this is the final straw, and these attacks start having actual consequences.

If they blew up $100m worth of chattel there would be consequences.
>>
>>4359
Bro, thats not cool, I thought we bonded over coal. Brochi, man, c'mon, ahh okay I forgive ya. Here mate, have a beer, and some more land..
oh, you want more land? sure.. more? uhm okay.....

Guys..
>>
>>4359
>>4359
Goddamn China, your not making any friends pulling these kinds of stunts.
>>
>>4359
Actually believing this crap
>>
>>4384

Who else was it, then?
>>
>>4384
Is abc.net.au not a reputable source? genuinely asking.
>>
>>4399

They are when it comes to government stuff, there's tons of politicians and insiders who regularly leak shit to them.
>>
>>4399
It's our BBC so yeah
>>
>>4359
Joke's on the Chinese - the BoM are masters of misinformation.
>>
>>5712
As an Australian I can agree with this
>>
>>4399
They're just about the only news source in this country worth a damn. Last government got so sick of their reporting that they actually started cutting back on funding.
>>
>>4399
No. The ABC is a heavily biased joke.
Only a complete fucking idiot would take ANY mainstream media seriously. They are there to make money and support political parties and lobby groups, not to show society what it is going on in the world.

The worst part about the ABC is that they claim to be free of biases yet refuse a third party to audit the journalistic accuracy of their reports. They have the gal to do in-house audits and announce that they have unbiased journalism as per the results, and have used this to shut down criticism- using their own media platform to basically mock these criticisms.

Yeah, they are worse than other commercial mainstream media stations because due to government funding their agenda isn't merely profit, it is to act as an arm which "helps" Australians hold the "correct" beliefs.

Always seek the sources cited in these stories and if they aren't cited, properly, they may as well be fanfiction. Journalism is a joke, and this is coming from someone who formally studied it.
>>
>>4406
>who regularly leak shit to them.
You mean give them stories to run.
The ABC may as well be the voice of what Americlaps call the "left wing" of politics in Australia. You should spend some time going through the studies and reports in their stories from time to time. Half of them are government funded and involve a HUGE conflict of interest, and the rest are wishy-washy shit that shouldn't but sadly often does these day, fly in any rigorous academic setting.

They are there to spread narrative, above all.
>>
>>8078
>Yeah, they are worse than other commercial mainstream media stations because due to government funding their agenda isn't merely profit, it is to act as an arm which "helps" Australians hold the "correct" beliefs.
They just ran stories bashing both the libs and labor though. If the correct beliefs are outside of the two-party government then I can support that.
>>
Bitcoin
>>
403 forbidden
>>
>>4367
Underrated post.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.