[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Federal judge upholds controversial North Carolina voting law
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 515752572.jpg (347 KB, 1484x1002) Image search: [Google]
515752572.jpg
347 KB, 1484x1002
>A federal judge Monday upheld North Carolina’s controversial new voting law, dealing a blow to critics who said the state’s rules will discourage minorities from casting ballots during this fall’s presidential election.

>The voting law, passed by North Carolina’s legislature in 2013, is among the strictest in the country. It reduces the number of days of early voting, prohibits people from registering and voting on the same day, stops ballots cast in the wrong precinct from being counted, ends the practice of preregistering teenagers before they turned 18 and requires a photo ID to vote.

>Republican legislators say they added the restrictions to combat voter fraud and to preserve the integrity of the voting system.

>In his 485-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Thomas D. Schroeder wrote that “North Carolina has provided legitimate state interests for its voter ID requirement and electoral system that provides registration all year long up to twenty-five days before an election, absentee voting for up to sixty days before an election, ten days of early voting at extended hours convenient for workers that includes one Sunday and two Saturdays, and Election Day voting.”

>Justice Department spokeswoman Dena Iverson said Monday night, “We’re disappointed in the ruling, reviewing the decision carefully and evaluating our options.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/federal-judge-upholds-controversial-north-carolina-voting-law/2016/04/25/97757236-0b4d-11e6-a6b6-2e6de3695b0e_story.html
>>
>>40814
>to combat voter fraud and to preserve the integrity of the voting system.
There was no voter fraud.
>>
>>40823
Preventing nonexistent threats while stomping on the rights of citizens has been US policy for quite a while.
>>
>tfw it winds up disenfranchising more right wing voters than left wing voters

NC government for the last few years has been completely fucking retarded. They literally do shit just to get in the news.

>make Christianity the state religion
>sign abortion laws just cuz
>no one asked for the tranny bathroom law, but here it is anyway

This governor and legislature are fucking idiots, and it has nothing to do with being Republican.
>>
>>40837
how does requiring an photo ID stomp on rights?

To legally have my job I had to provide photo ID and present my birth certificate

To do ANYTHING with the VA requires both of those and a copy of my DD214

To get/renew my CC license I need both

To drive I need my drivers license, proof of insurance, and my vehicles registration
>>
>>40823
>There was no voter fraud.
How would you know? The voters were never ID'd.
>>
>485-page opinion
jesus christ
>>
>>40814
These are restrictions. If any of these impede your ability to vote, you shouldn't be voting. Register ahead of time, bring photo ID, show up at your voting location on the appropriate day. It's not hard.
>>
>>40852

Think of old people. Plenty of old people have no reason to be driving anymore and they aren't going to be traveling abroad anytime soon and no one cards them for a pack of smokes, so what the hell do they need an ID for?

Shit in my day to day life (since i ride the subway) i don't need an ID for shit. I don't go to bars that 18 years old go to so i rarely get carded. What else do I need an ID for? Maybe when I started work I needed my social security card and some other id, but now I have an work place issued id so I swipe in and go on with my day. Really, if I didn't rent a car every now and again, I could easily let me ID expire and not give a fuck.

Also, trying getting to the DMV without a car. Unless you are in NYC getting around the city is fucking hell. I took the bus when I was going to university in some mid western mid sized city and it was hell getting to a random place. The uni was a hub so it wasn't too hard to get there, but getting to an off campus doctor was hell.

The most common voter ID is a driver’s license, and minorities are less likely to drive. A 2007 study found that in California, New Mexico, and Washington, whites were more likely to have driver’s licenses than nonwhites. In Orange County, Calif., about 92 percent of white voters had driver’s licenses, compared with only 84 percent of Latino voters and 81 percent of “other” voters. A 2005 study of Wisconsin similarly found that while about 80 percent of white residents had licenses, only about half of African-American and Hispanic residents had licenses.

Texas has no driver's license offices in almost a third of the state's counties. A little less than a quarter of driver's license offices have extended hours, which would make it tough for many working voters to find a place and time to acquire the IDs.
>>
>>40837
Perhaps its not a problem because off these rules. The rules discourage attempts at voter fraud.
Also, voter fraud has been An issue in the United States the past, there was an issue with a new state over whether to be slave or free. There was massive voter fraud on both sides, and i believe there were more votes cast than the entire population of the state.
>>
>>40823

There is voter fraud...voter id has been manditory in Canada for decades...this keeps voter fraud in check...
>>
>>41005

all that text for nothing, wow.
How about getting some kind of ID is simply a minimum we want to require from people who want to be part of a country? I mean holy shit, how do we tell that you arent from Europe or South Guatemala unless you can produce SOME kind of ID?
>>
>>41048

1) way to ignore everything that was stated in the previous message, which does a decent job of explaining why some people don't have formal state issued photo IDs or need them.

2)how do we tell where you are from?
>everyone should be required to carry ID
Let's say I let me driver expire and I don't drive, why would you need proof of who I say I am?

Even if you did need to prove that I am John Doe why wouldn't my work ID work for you? how about an old student ID? or library card? or YMCA membership that has a photo on it? for whatever reason I would need to prove to you that I'm who I am say I am any of these would reasonably work.

3) Do you really support the idea that everyone needs to carry ID with them at all times?
this is a good idea.

>>41025
Canada requires ID but gives a million different valid options for what counts as ID

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=vot&dir=ids&document=index&lang=e
>>
How does limiting voting by reducing the number of days of early voting, prohibiting people from registering and voting on the same day and ending the practice of preregistering teenagers before they turn 18 help a democracy?

Defenders of this garbage only talk about the photo ID prerequisite, which I'm all for. But the other shit is stupid and an obvious way to limit votes for democrats because there are far more democrats than republicans. That's been the case for decades.

"Democrats hold advantages in party identification among blacks, Asians, Hispanics, well-educated adults and Millennials. Republicans have leads among whites – particularly white men, those with less education and evangelical Protestants"

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/
>>
>>40858
So people who just turned 18 shouldn't vote? If you can't register before you turn 18 and can't register on the voting day, then anyone who turns 18 on the election day is barred from voting despite being legally allowed to. Of course, that's an edge case, but it shows how ridiculous this combination of rules is.
>>
>>40814
>485 page opinion
is this fucking necessary
>>
>>41059
>Do you really support the idea that everyone needs to carry ID with them at all times?
>this is a good idea.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or what, but yes it is a good idea. I live in Canada and we expect that here, of course it's never been an issue here because we have very few race card carriers in this country.
>>
>>41224

>Canada expects people to carry ID with them
Let's see what Community Legal Education Ontario has to say about that...

"There is no general requirement to carry identification papers."

"However, in some cases you may be required to have specific documents. For example, you must have a valid driver's licence with you when you are driving."

http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/polpower/what-if-police-ask-me-who-i-am

you seem real informed. thanks for wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>41059

A state id card is about 10 bucks. If you do not have a DL then you should get an id from the state to prove that you are a resident.

As far as voting goes, other photo id should be acceptable provided you can also show that you are a resident of the state in which you reside.

Additionally, you will want some kind of official id like a passport, DL, SS card, military id, concealed carry card etc. to show who you are for the times you need to go to a bank, get something notarized, get carded at a store, get stopped by the police etc. Everyone should have ideally two forms of official id. Never know when you need it.
>>
>>41048
I have been living in another state for almost a year, yet my lisence says I'm from a state 1500 miles away and that my home address is a place that no one in my family no longer lives at. Your logic is shaky.

Also, how would it help you to know that someone is from "China"? You have no idea what province or city or village, or the cultural aspects of each place.

Also, in the state I was raised (Alabama) the government tried to close all the DMV locations except 4 in the whole state. My county I grew up in didn't have one, you had to go 20 mins to the next county, and make sure you do it before 4pm and not when they close for lunch for 2 hours from 12-2pm. And they were always closed Wed, Sat, and Sun.
>>
>bawwww you can't require an ID to vote! Voting is a right!
>It's okay to require an ID and a background check to buy a gun though. Who cares what the constitution says?
You can't have it both ways.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.