[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New "Elizabethkingia" bacteria strikes again; CDC looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-illinois-infection-idUSKCN0X928K

>A northern Illinois resident who died after being diagnosed this year with a blood infection known as Elizabethkingia had the same strain of the bacteria linked to more than a dozen deaths in Wisconsin, health officials said on Tuesday.

>Neither the resident's age nor many other details were released, but Melaney Arnold, spokeswoman for the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), said the individual had suffered from underlying health issues.

>IDPH officials have sent alerts to hospitals requesting they report all cases of Elizabethkingia and save any specimens for possible laboratory testing, Arnold added in a statement.

>The infection has infected 48 mostly elderly people in Wisconsin, killing 15. Both Michigan and Illinois have each reported one death and one person infected, the statement said.

>The patients who died in Wisconsin had serious underlying conditions, health officials have said, and it remains unclear whether the bacteria caused all the fatalities.

>Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois investigators are working with Atlanta-based The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine the possible source of the bacteria

Background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabethkingia
Other coverage:
http://wgntv.com/2016/04/12/illinois-death-linked-to-elizabethkingia-outbreak-in-wisconsin/

http://www.ktvz.com/news/illinois-death-linked-to-elizabethkingia-bacterium/38989034
>>
inb4 meme magic
>>
>yfw it spreads to California and kills all the senile Hillary supporters before the election
>>
>>38347
>Elizabehkingia
That's a pretty shitty name.
>>
>>38428
British people don't like it.
>>
>>38347
>Old people dying of bacterial infections.
>Old people with serious underlying diseases dying of bacterial infections.

This isnt news.
>>
>>38443
>bacteria was previously only seen on the Mir space station
How is this not news?
>>
>>38428
we wuz kingias and shit
>>
>>38446
If you knew anything about bacterial or viral infections, new and zany stuff popping up or cells behaving in a way previously unknown to science is nothing new.

It would blow OP's mind to learn just how many people in first world countries die from simple shit like dysentery.
>>
>>38455
>new and zany stuff
It's killed 14 people without an apparent link between them. I really don't understand how you could make light of it.
>>
>>38446
You made this bacteria sound so much cooler than it actually was, lol. Elizabethkingia Miricola is the species found on the Mir Space Station. The other strains of Elizabethkingia are found on earth, though where doesn't seem to be entirely clear as of now.
>>
>>38428

I should become a bacteriologist and name pathogens after ppl I don't like
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.