[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Researchers Develop Foam Armor That Obliterates Bullets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/148127/20160408/watch-lightweight-metal-foam-turn-armor-piercing-bullet-into-dust.htm

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/04/metal-foam-armor-makes-short-work-of-bullets/

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/04/08/breaking-researchers-develop-foam-obliterates-bullets/

http://www.i4u.com/2016/04/108357/scientists-create-metal-foam-turns-bullets-dust

>Researchers found that new composite metal foams (CMFs) have excellent thermal protection compared to plain metal, turning armor piercing bullet into dust.

>North Carolina State University researchers studied lightweight CMFs and found that the air pockets inside the metal foams are effective heat blockers. This makes CMFs a promising tool for use in transport and storage of hazardous materials, explosives, nuclear elements, and other heat sensitive materials. It could also prove beneficial for space exploration.

>Mechanical and aerospace engineering professor at NC State Afsaneh Rabiei shared that this property can be attributed to the hollow spheres in the CMFs, which is composed of stainless steel, carbon steel, or titanium implanted in a metallic matrix of aluminum, metallic alloys, and steel.
>>
Neat.
I doubt the military will shell out the money to outfit soldiers with this new foam. Still neat though.
>>
>>37785
It reminds me the time I read about some British type or armor that was full of holes and works better than conventional armor.
>>
>>37797
Ceramics are still plenty good at stopping bullets. Depending on how much lighter these metal foams are they may be adopted in the future to save weight.
>>
>>37797
>military will shell out the money
military doesn't pay for anything, you do.
>>
I remember a show called future weapons and they had a thing called dragon skin. This vest could take the force of a grenade
>>
>>37863
Dragon skin falls apart in the heat though, so not very useful for the areas the military operates in most often
>>
>>37785
Just wait until some islamists get hold of the stuff and then they can prance around Paris again at their leisure while they gun down people knowing the cops can't drop them.
This sort of research should really stay secret and be covertly issued to the best soldiers so the bad apples are disposed of before it's made public
>>
>>37867
Not really they won't be covered head to toe in it and you can always just throw bombs at them or use a flamethrower and burn them to death. Not a big deal.
>>
>>37870
you make it sound like a headshot is the easiest thing to pull off. There's a reason the torso is the most commonly targetted part of the human body, and it has everything to do with the ease of securing a hit under pressure
>you can always just throw bombs at them or use a flamethrower and burn them to death. Not a big deal.
So special forces are going to run around with bandoleers of grenades and flamethrowers now?
>>
>>37871
I would recommend it.
>>
>>37858
We don't spend it though
>>
>>37867
Level 4 ceramic plates are already rated to stop 30-06 armor piercing ammo.
>>
>>37888
I guess the crucial difference is between "stopped" and "disintegrated into dust on impact". I'd just like to know what kinds of bruises this stuff would leave if you were shot while wearing a vest full of it.
>>
>one inch thick plating
That's pretty fucking thick considering I can get a quarter inch thick ar 500 plate that does the same thing
>>
Can we just like... start building Warhammer 40k armor already (spehhs marines) and get it over with? I know we're about 28,000 years early, but fuck it. Lets get this shit done now...
>>
>>37977
Well supposedly We'll be hitting the golden age technology. Until we go too far. The AI rebels. The space swedes eldar unleash Slaanesh.
>>
>>37888
and after direct two-strikes they are fractured and worthless.
>>
>>38023
Maybe if the bullets strike the exact same spot. Generally people who get shot at aren't standing still.
>>
>>37974
>>37892
These plates would be a fair degree lighter than full ceramic (there's still a ceramic strike face on the front of the plate), while providing even greater protection. Currently, NIJ standards allow for back indentation of 44mm for any given caliber bullet, which is around how much a FMJ 7.62mm will indent the back of a ceramic plate. These plates only had an 8mm indentation in testing. Make no mistake, taking an AK cartridge square to your torso is still gonna leave a bruise with one of these things on, but it's possible that broken ribs/internal bleeding will be a thing of the past.
>>
>>38059
It brings up an interesting point about how the ammunition industry is going to adapt to this. What innovations can they come up with to defeat it?

Also I can see things like explosive tipped rounds and armor piercing capability being ordered by groups like law enforcement and militaries the moment this new armor stuff becomes commercially available
>>
>>38075
They already have

http://www.popsci.com/chinese-soldiers-have-laser-guns
>>
>>38059
AR500 is a steel plate, no ceramics involed.
But that gets me thinking, if the ceramic strike face is necessary then the plate could only withstand 2-4 shots and then be useless (problems with full ceramic plates already) also dropping plates can break them as well. Also lightness isn't everything, you wouldn't want a bulky chode plate to get in the way of your firearm in a firefight.

I just don't think it provides enough to actually replace what we use now.
>>
Inb4 they start making more bullets out of tungsten
>>
>>37875
Welcome to /k/ faggots.
Now get out.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.