[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leaked Video Shows How Business Lobbyists Conspire Against a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: 1459798692.jpg (45 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
1459798692.jpg
45 KB, 700x393
>A newly leaked video offers a rare glimpse into how pro-business groups strategize to fight against a higher minimum wage, paid sick leave, and other workplace protections.

>It shows David Merrit, managing director of renowned pollster Frank Luntz's firm LuntzGlobal, giving a private webinar to the pro-business Council of State Chambers of Commerce, an umbrella organization for state-level business leaders.

>Public support for a higher minimum wage is spiking. Spurred by the Fight for 15 protest movement, New York and California just announced plans to raise their rates to 15 an hour. But Merrit suggests that business leaders can keep wages low by "not talking about" the issue and instead focusing the political conversation on "creating more jobs."

>The leak was accompanied by internal polling data that shows the vast majority of state-level business executives actually approve of a hike in the minimum wage, as well as a raft of pro-labor measures, including paid sick and maternity leave. The data and video were made public by the Center for Media and Democracy.

https://news.vice.com/article/leaked-video-shows-how-business-lobbyists-conspire-against-a-higher-minimum-wage
>>
I don't get why this is a surprise. Did people think business lobbyists didn't have strategy sessions?

All lobbyists have strategy sessions. #fightfor15 has strategy sessions among its own leadership corps.
>>
Of course they don't want to pay more. They'd pay you a dollar an hour if they could, or ship your job to someone who will take a dollar an hour. Not legal? No problem, they just pay politicians to legislate for them, to craft free trade agreements that ship your job overseas. Got a problem with that? You're a pinko commie bitch and you're anti-freedom, and you should have worked harder in school.
>>
>>37198
>people who worked hard in school
>needing a higher minimum wage
>>
So what, it's democracy when people organize for a cause, but 'conspiracy' when businesses do it?
>>
>>37210
businesses are not persons
>>
>>37217
David Merrit isn't a business
>>
>>37217
>he/she/it didn't take business classes
>doesn't realize that corporations are legal entities that are recognized as people
>>
>>37209
>people not finding jobs at their education level
>needing higher minimum wage
Yes.

The real problem, however, is too many people going into college with too few college level jobs being available. This is why Bernies plan, which lowers job availability and increases college level employees, is retarded.
>>
>>37223
They are not human entities, therefore a corporation cannot physically encompass a body to actually be recognized as a natural persons.
>>
A message from Racist Rick! https://youtu.be/yWUdQnNAy0Y
>>
Here's a thought, let's raise the taxes on enterprising tax haven shell company mofos and dismantle the new world order instead.
>>
>>37249
Go back to /leftypol/.

There's really no positive outcome on this wage dispute, just the one that will end up with the fewest amount of riots (keeping the wage increases low enough that the idiots don't notice the creeping inflation and mechanization that is already looming).
If anything the lobbyists are taking the most just path by trying to stop the process altogether.
>>
>>37209
They either need a higher minimum wage or they need a less traditionally corrupt politician who has the balls to stand up to corporate interests and bring jobs back to the US. I could go either way. But what we can't do is keep going the way we are. Any conservative who doesn't support Trump is absolutely brain dead, and any liberal who doesn't support Sanders isn't a liberal.
>>
>>37209
Eventually though, if American workers at all levels except the top management positions are forced to continue compete with cheap foreign labor, we will no longer be viable as a country. I promise you that not only can your job be outsourced, someone is getting ready to implement a way to do it the second the price is right.
>>
>>37015
Good.fuck minimum wage hikes.get a real grown up job.
>>
>>37344

Why you disagree to being paid fairly is beyond me. No, fast food workers shouldn't be paid the same as teachers or military, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid more. They should all be paid more.

Fucking pricks act like just because you were fortunate enough to be given an opportunity at education and career advancement that somehow you're better than people you don't even know. You can't even get a 40 hour work week because most places don't wanna give you benefits. Unless you've been to college and managed to get experience at jobs you can't get unless you have experience.

Just... fuck you, man. Fuck you and every human as callous and shamefully prideful as you.
>>
>>37293
Man shut the fuck up, this isn't about wages. We both know money is a system dominated by evil motherfuckers hellbent on fucking things up for everyone.
>>
>>37015
If you think higher minimum wage is a good thing you need to open up a book on economics.
>>
>>37441
Holy shit that is like a Facebook tier leftist post. You're a moron, tell me more about how CEO's are trying to make your life hard for their personal enjoyment.
>>
>>37344
Except that it is sad that paramedics are paid $15 an hour.

You are aware that the CEOs just raise their own wages every year, yet you aren't in arms about this?

>>37534
Inflation that outpaces minimum wage is even worse. Which you'd know if you'd read past the 4th chapter in any economics book. Which is what reality is today, which you'd know if you have had your own expenses for less than half a decade.
>>
>>37015
So what? $15 minimum wage is putting a bandage on someone suffering from AIDS. It's not going to do anything but the sickness is still going to get worse.

What do you guys think will happen with all the niggers working at McDonalds for minimum wage because that's all their worth?

Only 3 things can happen.

1. People lose their jobs and unemployment sky rockets. The likely result being that California continues to be retarded and instigates a higher unemployment tax from businesses which leads to burdening the people who actually work plus increasing the costs of all goods statewide.

2. All goods statewide see a substantial increase in price to prevent firing employees. The net effect is that minimum wage becomes useless because costs rise and all it does is hurt businesses competing with anyone outside of California which will likely lead to business closures and unemployment going up.

3. Businesses leave the state. Unemployment sky rockets. Refer to 1.

Minimum wage only has a place in making sure no one is getting paid pennies for normal work.

Using it to artificially inflate wages for no reason other than to raise them only hurts everyone in the long run.
>>
>>37578
What exactly is wrong with the head of a company who coordinates hundreds to thousands of people getting more money than some faggot who flips burgers? if you don't like it, maybe you should try bringing something unique to society or getting off your ass to improve your position in life. I've never seen someone who truly tried to increase his position and fail doing so. The only people who fail are literal retards that only want money but don't have the intelligence to back their desires or people who only half ass try and then get mad when everyone sees they aren't quality material. Most faggots end up in group 2.

I don't know why you continue to bitch about things that are totally solved the way you would like them in communist countries. Just go live there if you don't like it here.
>>
>>37441
I've only ever heard this statement from minimum wage dumb faggots who have never run a business or had to make a decision affecting 50 to 10,000 people.

There's a reason you're in the gutter nigger. It's because you don't have the mental faculties to make huge and hard decisions that affect more than yourself.
>>
>>37703

>Everyone that is poor deserves to be poor and everyone rich earned it.

sounds believable.
>>
>>37708
Not everyone who's rich earned it but neither do you have the right to tell the father, who very likely did earn it, that he can't pass on his earnings to his children and neither you nor the state has right a his already taxed money you worthless handout nigger.
>>
>>37721
*has a right to
>>
>>37209
>I think Ronald Reagan had a lot of good points
This is because you're a typical American retard.
>>
>>37441
>We both know money is a system dominated by evil motherfuckers hellbent on fucking things up for everyone.

Spoken like a true college know-it-all hippy libshit. Externalization or sour grapes? Hard to tell.
>>
>>37721

way to resort to cheap insults.

There are many ways of looking whether or not someone should be able to pass down wealth.

1 it is an individual's property and they have to right to pass it down to anyone they like. However, here we can't discuss wealth as being a sign of merit or desert.

2) the person who is given wealth hasn't actually earned it and has no claim to that wealth because it was not earned. if wealth is to be earned, everyone needs to earn it.

3) from the level of society as whole, passing down wealth creates castes in society, it makes it more difficult for individuals to move up and down in the economic hierarchy, and may even inhibit growth/progress for the society as a whole since the majority of wealth is tied up in a few hands. both liberal and conservative economists will say highly unequal socities are bad for the economy.

Also, as individuals that are born and live within a society we all gain from it. We all live in a stable country, with a stable currency, with decent schools, and opportunities and so on. All of these factors make our country a good place for businesses to invest. Russia has very low taxes, but investment isn't very strong cause the gov is terribly corrupt and the market isn't stable. Not to mention as business owners, and since we have all of these benefits it is are responsibility to maintain this system. creating a society that will forever run by the Waltons, the Du Ponts, and so on won't help anyone and may lead to extreme corruption.

but why step back and think about things? why read Von Hayek, Rawls, Locke, etc. when you can spout out brilliant ideas like "you worthless handout nigger."
it doesn't seem someone like you needs education and i'm sure you come from a wealthy family so you'll be just fine despite the fact that you sound like you were inbred
>>
>>37943

not the guy you're replying to, but neither you nor the state have the right to touch my money once its been taxed. You really are a worthless handout nigger.
>>
>>38004

i'm sure you dont have anything that anyone wants

no one wants your debt
>>
>>37943
Of course a liberal worries about whether people "deserve" something, meaning "I don't like it"
That's not going to convince me
>>
>>37439
>just because you were fortunate enough to be given an opportunity at education and career advancement that somehow you're better than people you don't even know.

Lol, every American has that opportunity...
>>
>>38126

Von Hayek is ultra conservative. There are key conservative think tanks that bear his name and his work to promote his conservative ideas.

Locke was fairly conservative as well. (Locke is credited as being part of the foundation of contemporary western thought, maybe you should know who he is.)

Rawls was liberal.

Read a book or keep your mouth shut. Doing one of these things will keep you from looking like a fucking idiot.
>>
>>38126

>ohmylol.jpg

what an amazing post. basically, translates to "people who read books are faggots and i ain't no faggot."

your opinion --> straight to the trashcan.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.