[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple BTFO, FBI didn't need their help afterall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: iphone-4-broken-screen-repair1.jpg (91 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
iphone-4-broken-screen-repair1.jpg
91 KB, 1001x1001
http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/28/news/companies/fbi-apple-iphone-case-cracked/index.html

>The Department of Justice says the FBI has accessed the iPhone used by one of the gunmen in the San Bernardino terrorist shooting.

>Law enforcement officials were able to break into the phone used by Syed Farook with the help of an unnamed third party. Government officials did not go into detail about what was found on the phone.

>"The FBI has now successfully retrieved the data stored on the San Bernardino terrorist's iPhone and therefore no longer requires the assistance from Apple required by this Court Order," DOJ spokeswoman Melanie Newman said in a statement.

>The DOJ is dropping the case against Apple, since it no longer needs the company's help.

>Farook was one of two shooters in the December 2015 attack that left 14 people dead, and the government has been trying to force Apple to help bypass the phone's security features.

>Apple has declined to help, saying it would compromise the security of all iPhone users. The company has argued that law enforcement officials don't understand the consequences of creating a backdoor and the cybersecurity dangers that it poses..

>The two sides were due in court last week, but the judge granted a last minute request from DOJ to postpone the hearing, saying an unidentified "outside party" came to the FBI with an alternative method for hacking into the phone.

>The fact that the DOJ was able to successfully access the phone without Apple's help is bad news for the tech giant because it suggests Apple's encryption technology is not as advanced as once thought.

tl;dr
- FBI cracked San Bernardino terrorists' phone without Apple's help
- FBI used a "third party" to help them crack it
- Now Apple and Tim cook look like huge faggots who overstated the threat to their phone's security and utterly BTFO
>>
>>34809
>the court order wasn't necessary
Everyone knew this. Everyone knew the FBI was grossly misrepresenting their capabilities. That's why everyone opposed it, it was never about the San Bernardino phone. It was about setting a legal precedent.
>>
>>34813
The McAfee guy mentioned a work around. He made it sound braindead simple which leads me to believe you are right. The otherside is that if it was that simple and the FBI can't already do this we have problems.
>>
>>34821
It is, Phone PINS are not really hard to bruteforce.
>>
>>34809
yeah, explain this shit to me, /news/, are the FB, eye, is they so stupid that they *REALLY* could not hack this shit when 20,000 amateurs online were offering a million different ways to bypass the security?

I read some Ruski hacker called Snowden called "bullshit" on their case saying they didn't need Apple's help at all and to stop being turgid little crybaby noobs
>>
>>34813
absolutely this shit
>>
Didn't McAfee essentially offer to do this so Apple wouldn't have to create the backdoor? That's not a BTFO, that's a win for Apple and digital tech freedoms, retard. OP can't discern his own fallacy. Yes Muslims and terrorists can fuck off back to their desert. No the government's not gonna get an easy way into my phone using that as an excuse.
>>
>>34851
Yeah the security claim has always been a load of shit.
In this case the fucking neighbors knew these guys were up to shady shit, and they didn't need access to their phones to find out.
And when they eventually get the evidence they need they just sit on it like a bunch or retards.
>>
>>34809
>No, we won't give the gov a free backdoor to all iPhones, they can go and access it themselves.
>FBI does it.
How did apple lose anything?
>>
>>34813
>It was about setting a legal precedent.
underrated post
>>
>>34813
They played a nice move but Apple blocked the bluff.
>>
>>34860
well you see apple shill, when the company (and it's consumers) believe that their product is uncrackable, then gets cracked just like that, it's grounds for laughing at.
>>
oh wow i remember watching an encryption vid or colbert or somthing like that about how they can't crack the iphone of a murderer for the FBIs sake and then i find this was just cracked how laughable the apple ceo was big talk on how strong encyption theyre iphone was and then this happens
>>
>>34880
Encrypted data is still encrypted. The issue was the first pw. Which if bruteforced enough times would turn the phone into a brick.
>>
some of these comments make me sad
>>
How exactly was Apple BTFO? They didn't compromise their principles, and the FBI was forced to do actual work to get what they wanted.
>>
Israel saving civil rights in the US again.
>>
>"It remains a priority for the government to ensure that law enforcement can obtain crucial digital information to protect national security and public safety, either with cooperation from relevant parties or through the court system when cooperation fails," DOJ's Newman said.

>"We will continue to pursue all available options for this mission, including seeking the cooperation of manufacturers and relying upon the creativity of both the public and private sectors."
they'll just keep trying this same game
>>
>>34809
this is a win for aapl, please kid...
>>
>now Apple and Tim cook look like huge faggots who overstated the threat to their phone's security and utterly BTFO
So are you a shill or just a total moron? The FBI could easily hack the phone its not rocket science. They were pretending to be retarded to try to force apple to give the NSA a back door into every Iphone everywhere. It was all an excuse. Apple called their bluff and they had to concede
>>
>>34893
Well, /pol/ is 14 and extra retarded even for that age. What do you expect?
>>
>>34911
I guess I expect people to read the threads before posting on such a slow board. At bare minimum, read the articles.
I like /pol/.
>>
So was it done by that private American person who claimed he knew how to hack the phone, or by Israeli phone data company Cellebrite?
>>
>>34915
>he thinks /pol/ reads threads then comments instead of skimmimg and getting triggered

Where is this imaginary ideal /pol/ you access and how do I get there?
>>
>>34920
>before posting on such a slow board.
Apparently, some people you can't even be expected to read one comment.
I was obviously talking about /news/.
>>
>>34921
But the person you were responding to was talking about /pol/. Try to keep up anon.
>>
>>34924
boards have gendered pronouns. okay.
>>
>>34809
>with the help of an unnamed third party

fucking Geohot!
>>
>>34809
>apple btfo

standing your ground until someone backs the fuck off isnt a bitch move op
>>
>>34902
they cant risk putting the captalism in an awkward position where the state rules the companies too oviously for the average joe to notice
>>
http://www.thejc.com/news/world-news/155600/israeli-company-hacks-san-bernardino-terrorist%E2%80%99s-iphone

It was an Israeli company
>>
>>34971
Pure coincidence
>>
I seem to remember how this whole operation was trivial because the guy had 2 phones and destroyed the one he used for this shady stuff.
>>
>>34890
>my only experience with computers is my macbook
>>
>>35050
Not that anon, but that's exactly what the FBI said the issue was.
>>
>>34813
THIS.

So I guess maybe you could say the FBI was BTFO in this case?
>>
>>34847
>Snowden
>Russian

Is this bait? 0/10 I'm not even sure what to think.
>>
>>34880
I'm happy with my Crashdroid, and if someone actually thinks you can't crack an iPhone that person has never given thought to were the stolen ones go.

A phone getting cracked it's an specific event, it should never be a feature.
>>
>>34809
>fbi so upset apple wont do what they want they cry to papa overlord nsa and beg them to open the phone up for them
Fucking funny.
>>
Privacy vs security. Tough call but gotta go with the former.
>>
>>34813
>Everyone knew this
I've cracked a couple of those phones as favors with some recovery software, then, after this, I followed some youtube links and found ways to crack them with no software at all - tried em, and they worked.

...and when I told people about this on-line, they STILL wouldn't believe me. I'd point them to the same software, available for purchase on-line, point them to the same youtube videos... Yet they were all such Apple fans they would plug their ears and scream, "FAKE FAKE FAKE!"

Short of grabbing their phone in person and showing them how it's done, people will not believe you. That's how much faith there is in Apple.

Crack heads unlock phones all the time, and they don't have data forensic centers. I bet a quarter or so of the FBI staff has kids that could crack this phone.

These things will never be secure. The more features they add, the more holes they add, and even if there were no holes at all and the software protection was perfect - there's nothing stopping someone with actual data forensics from just dumping and copying raw images of the drive, brute forcing the 4-digit pin code, and copying it back to the SD each time it fails and wipes.
>>
>>34847
They wanted a backdoor software to be able to hack into ANY apple product, basically.
It has nothing to do with competence but second intentions
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.