[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CNN News App
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 1
File: 1458574607063.jpg (19 KB, 446x357) Image search: [Google]
1458574607063.jpg
19 KB, 446x357
Open The Guardian app.
>See news stories for a wide range of events. Including the attacks.

Open CNN app.
>TERROR ATTACK IN BRUSSELS
>LOUD EXPLOSIONS IN BRUSSELS
>DEATH TOLL IN BRUSSELS
>#PRAYFORBRUSSELS
>WHAT THE ATTACKS IN BRUSSELS MEANS FOR YOU

Why is American news dedicating literally their first 7 stories to a terror attack in brussels when overseas news has just one story? Which, really, is all that is needed.
Here is a link to CNN which has the same thing going on:
http://www.cnn.com/
>discuss
>>
>>32776
They're very sensationalist and want something BIG to happen but barring an asteroid strike on Earth there's not going to be much for them to report on...
>>
>>32776
>Americans get conditioned to like action films
>News networks know this
>American news becomes a ratings war of who can make real life seem as action packed as Die Hard
>>
>>32804
By reposting the same story over and over? Who is sitting around reading the same news story in slightly different ways? That can't be right. There has to be a better reason. Over saturation like that, I would assume, puts people off.
>>
>>32807
It's like [s4s] and their memes - they'll read the same exact stuff over and over again with maybe the slight variation and they're happy with it.
>>
>>32812
I would be amazed if there is a large enough chuck of the population reading 7+ news stories in a row about a single event to make it worthwhile to do what CNN is doing with their webpages.

You've got to admit that it is a bit of an anomaly. I'm intrigued as to the reasoning behind the over saturation of the unfortunate events in Brussels on CNN's sites; especially when overseas you don't find the same thing going on even though it is much closer to home there than in the states.
>>
>>32776
Open The Guardian app.
>The sexist Chinese trend promoting waists thinner than an A4 sheet of paper
>How the safe schools program helped a transgender child's adjustment
>Batman v Superman: A review
>Rapper Kendrick Lamar challenging racial stereotypes with new lyrics
>How to lower your blood pressure.
>>
>>32866
British '''''''''''''''news'''''''''''''''
>>
>>32776
try the RT app if you want to get actual news stories in your feed.
>>
I use al jazeera america
>>
>>32866
>>32868
I just opened The Guardian app:
>Latest report: Police carry out raids in manhunt for suspected bomber.
>US Victim: Mormon missionary injured after surviving Boston and Paris attacks.
>Arizona: Trump and Clinton move closer to nomination with wins.
>Revealed: Government keeping its method to crack San Bemadino iPhone 'classified'.
>Rob Ford: Former Toronto mayor dies age 46
>Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Possible piece of engine found on South African beach.

It's a good swath of international stories right there in the first few results.
Not to mention the app layout is at least decent. Better than CNN's app.
I'm not saying that they aren't without fault, but it is far better than american news which seems to want us all inside this information bubble.
>>
>>32870
I like using SPIDR for keeping out of the information bubble of a single news site.
>>
CNN is just a really, really, really, REALLY polite Fox News.
>>
>>32873
>MALAYSIAN AIRLINES MH370

HAHAHA JESUS FUCKING CHRIST EVEN CNN WHO MADE 24/7 NEWS COVERAGE OF THAT SHIT STOPPED COVERING THAT AIRPLANE CRASH
>>
They look for ratings so the main stories will about what people will Google what they hear about.
They don't talk about the US backed Saudi war in Yemen and that ISIS fights for them in Yemen.
>>
>>32883
I'm still following the MH370 crash. ? Why is that a bad thing? In my eyes it is still very much a news story; just because your flavor of major news sites have milked all the clickz-4-sheckels they could from you and moved on to more profitable stories doesn't mean it isn't relevant.
>keep sucking that jewdik non/news team
>>
>>32776
>>32776
Because that's how you condition your people so when you want to go to war everyone will think you're the righteous one.
>>
>>32868
guardian site (i do not know if this is the same for the app) has different versions, international, uk, both have a different focus on the front page.
usually the main stories are the same either edition, given they are important noteworthy events, but the minor stories vary greatly.
>>
>>32903
i wouldn't say i 'follow' the story, but i would scan an account like that.

i'd also add in terms of disasters like that there are many people who follow disasters for years, read books on the crashes etc etc. reports etc. nothing odd at all about your interest.
>>
>>32828
It's actually really smartly styled news for dummies. You notice how each article on CNN has a LITTLE different skew to it? "Attack, explosion, death toll, hashtag, what it means"

Without reading a single one, I'm willing to bet that reading ALL of them will give the same-ish story as the ONE story from the Guardian would. But reading ONE CNN story wouldn't have all the information lumped into it...

It's all about the click-bux
>>
So which is the best/least shit news app?
>>
>>32776
So are you upset that a news agency is covering a major terrorist attack?
>>
Good thread. Yesterday here in the UK, there was rolling news but BBC and Sky didn't let it dominate them, still had plenty of other stories for the day. Radio still ran their usual schedules. The HQ for the EU was right around the corner, it doesn't get more serious then that. It was like our news outlets forgot about the importance of the EU for the day and turned it into a humdrum disaster.

Probably only my opinion but it could have been investigated by journalists how the terrorists laid three bombs on the doorstep of the organisation which leads hundreds of millions of people or what that means for Europe now. And Brussels just seemed to say "oh well, these things happen, never mind". It just all felt like half-baked coverage.
>>
>>32930
>stupid question on so many levels
Read a thread and *try* to absorb what you can before you post. OP is pointing out the differences in news coverage from different areas reporting on the events, and asking for a discussion based around those differences. Not every post is an attack on something. Sometimes people like to enjoy a discussion about the anomalies that happen in news reporting without lowering themselves to being upset over petty bullshit, e.g. whatever you have in your head that has ypoiu thinking the OP is expressing anger over a news site doing what a news site does.
>>
Why the fuck do you need a "news app"? Are web browsers too hard to use or something?
>>
>realize news companies are corporations with a vested interest in getting a specific message and public opinion out

here's your (You) OP
>>
>>32972
>he doesn't have a separate install of Firefox for every webpage
what a pleb
>>
>>32776
The purpose of news is to get you to watch the news, not to inform you. What makes the news varies by culture.
>>
>>32990
That's not a (You), ya meanie
>>
Cnn has the worst website. It's such a resource hog and clunky.

I also hate how most news sites auto play their video content.
>>
>>32812
Not really. It pisses my mom off to no end when the TV news stations do this, particularly when they pre-empt Jeopardy for it with no new information to report, or skip the weather, which is about the only useful thing TV news reports on anymore.

>>32828
This. Being able to filter this over saturation is part of why I've gone back to reading print and online news and pretty much tuned out the TV.
I think part of it is an attempt to hammer home the fear-mongering aspect, but it's finally starting to fall on deaf ears since people are getting tired of that crap.
>>
>>32875
Seconded. I can mostly stick to Reuters and the AP (actual hard news), then jump to other sites to see what people are saying in the comments.
>>
>>33002
Fucking this. Auto-Play is bullshit. I just leave a website if some ad starts auto playing.

"Nothing of importance was ever read while the same company simultaneously tries to sell you pills." -Me, just now.
>>
>>32928
This is what I want to know
>>
Well, it's election time in the US and these kind of news brings votes to the most radical candidate (el trumpo)
>>
>>33131
Check out RT. real news stories without all the bullshit.
>>
>>33139
How do you come to that conclusion? Extreme news =/= more plubicity for extreme candidates. Don't give the ass more free plubicity.

>>33131
Associated Press does good work. SPIDR.today is a fantastic site for multi-source news. In all honesty The Guardian isn't that bad of an app/site. As long as you read it, and you should be doing thins for everything you read, with their bias in mind. I would even go as far as to say that every news reporting agency has merit as long as you keep their possible bias in mind.
With that out of the way it is just a matter of finding the least annoying, overall-design wise, news source.
>>
>>33140

you mean news stories from russian propaganda
>>
>>33098
Yeah, that pisses me off too.
I often click on their stories thinking it's WaPo, then I have to manually shut the stupid video off to scroll down and actually read the story.
I'm considering adding their vids to my ad block list.

Also, speaking of WaPo, I'm
>>33038 and I meant to add that I like that they cover the tinfoil hat tier stories in the sense that the other two do, in spite of WaPo's blatant liberal bias.
>>
>>33159
>WaPo's blatant liberal bias.
WaPo is hardly liberal. They were one of the most pro-Bush administration papers around during the last decade.
>>
Guardian is English
>>
>>33166
Th-thanks? Wtf?
>>
>BLAST
>BLAST
>BLASTS
>>
>>33155
lol, are you 12? all news stations push their owners' agendas through propaganda. at least with RT I get real news stories without having to sift through bill cosby's love life and a bunch of other garbage that shouldn't be in the news. I'm just saying give it a chance. I watch CNN too, and sift through everything to try and find some truth. It takes effort, but it's better than believing everything the media tells me without question.
>>
>>33174
>Bill Cosby's love life
>Cosby's love life
>love life

Typical Russian propaganda
>>
>>33174
dude ALL news is propaganda, especially rt
your job is to understand biases and account for them
>>
>>33161
Meh. You might be right - I'm probably just reading it that way right now since they seem to be backing Hillary.

>>33174
>without having to sift through bill cosby's love life and a bunch of other garbage that shouldn't be in the news
Granted. I just like that they cover stories about our military/diplomatic fuck ups, so the alternative perspective is nice.
>>
Also, just noticed that NPR hasn't been mentioned ITT.
Their coverage is consistently good, although the monotone is kinda boring, plus I only really listen to the radio in the car.
>>
>>32776

>The Guardian

if I wanted to see shit I'd open the toilet
>>
>>33263
What source do you use for news?
>>
>>33263
Don't you flush?!
>>
It's just clickbait to sell adspace.

They're finding out what people are typing into Google and then all their news stories are suddenly focused around "what's really going on in the world".

>>33212
+1 for NPR.

I find it funny comparing npr to something like reddit. I read news on both sites, but I find myself referencing news and talks on npr so much more than reddit even though I'm on reddit so much more.
>>
>>33292
>I'm on reddit so much more
You should go back.
>>
>>33320
Lol okay guy.
>>
>>33322
I'm not your guy, friend.
>>
>>32776
Because people like:
>>32930
think that is journalism.
>>
>>32776
You obviously have never heard of them Break new News. The best news they ever broke, was a headline for two days straight, No New News.
>>
>>32776
In short, because guardian sucks and is trying to ignore Brussels.
Guardian is actually of far poorer quality than some sensationalist media, yet it's left-wing, so stupid people assume it's not shit.
>>
>>32928
Don't ask that, all you'll get are tabloids that espouse /pol/-tier shit.
>>
>>32776
U.S. journalism is so dried up they take any story and fucking run with it, also european news is full "muh refugees" so anything depicting islam in a negative life is not allowed or heavily limited/cenored
>>
Maybe! The media uses terror to scare people?
to hide, how many animals being used for food, fed with a high % over 70% with leftover wheat
thats not hitting the market for people to buy, goes to feed animals to make them so big they can also be sold to us :)
>>
do not expect a global surveillance superpower to act with honour or respect. There is only one rule: there are no rules."
>>
>>33681
What in the fuck are you talking about dude
>>
>>33707
he's saying that the world would need less farmland if everyone was vegetarian. also that the media has fabricated every story in history for the sole purpose of not having to report this very fact. doy.
>>
>>32872
It won't last long. Al Jazeera America will close down on April 12th 2016.
>>
>>32776
news media is evil. well US style news media is evil.
the idea is good but they are desperate for money (they have lots of money but they are still desperate for it).
their only way to get money is to get NORMALS to watch/read their news.
The way to draw the NORMALS in is to provoke emotion. the easiest of these are fear and outrage. outrage and fear.
>>
>>32870
>Russia Today
>actual news stories
It's the absolute bastion of misinformation that hosts conspiracy theories and common rhetoric of "we'll never kno! lol" to introduce doubt into factual events. I'm surprised to actually hear someone praise them, but I guess they manage to feed their viewerbase well enough with their government propaganda. I mean, you may as well tune into a North Korean News Source for their "accurate and informational" reporting.
>>
>>32881
>CNN is just a really, really, really, REALLY polite Fox News.
That might not be a bad way of putting it actually.
CNN is a Fox News that even black people can watch.

It turns out I was right. The rest of the demographics prove it true too.
>http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbc-led-fox-by-1100-among-black-primetime-demo-viewers-in-2013/#2
>MSNBC led with 64,960 weekday prime black viewers in the key demo, followed by CNN with 45,080; HLN with 25,560; and Fox News with 5,940. Despite Fox's much larger audience, MSNBC's black audience is 1,093 percent greater than Fox's.
CNN isn't much behind that.

Considering that Fox's viewerbase is roughly only 50% larger, yet MSNBC's black audience is over 1,000% bigger, that's pretty much what it boils down to.
>>
>>33794
the norks were actually the first country to land on the sun. look it up.
>>
>>33794
Read their articles some time.
>>
>>32776
You forgot one CNN breaking neews story

>TRUMP MAYBE ABOUT TO BLOW HIS NOSE
>>
>>33794
Russia today is good for Red pilling people, not because what they say is true, because they very much are propagandists, conspiracy peddlers but they do cover some things that Europe doesn't alongside, the general pictures that they broadcast.

I ended up going full circle from BBC -> Russia Today -> Al Jazeera -> /pol/ (before /pol/ harbor) and then back to the BBC... but better able to read through the lines and think outside of any particular narrative they're trying to push.
>>
>>34065
that is the best use of RT i have ever heard of. Bravo to you, Anon!
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.