[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NSA data to be used by domestic police agencies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: HOPE AND CHANGE.png (59 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
HOPE AND CHANGE.png
59 KB, 1024x1024
This is a few days old but I haven't seen anything posted here about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/03/10/surprise-nsa-data-will-soon-routinely-be-used-for-domestic-policing-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-terrorism/

>Surprise! NSA data will soon routinely be used for domestic policing that has nothing to do with terrorism

>A while back, we noted a report showing that the “sneak-and-peek” provision of the Patriot Act that was alleged to be used only in national security and terrorism investigations has overwhelmingly been used in narcotics cases.

>Now the New York Times reports that National Security Agency data will be shared with other intelligence agencies like the FBI without first applying any screens for privacy.

>Because that information was obtained without a warrant, the agencies were instructed to engage in “parallel construction” when explaining to courts and defense attorneys how the information had been obtained. If you think parallel construction just sounds like a bureaucratically sterilized way of saying big stinking lie, well, you wouldn’t be alone. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140203/11143926078/parallel-construction-revealed-how-dea-is-trained-to-launder-classified-surveillance-info.shtml

>This isn’t just a few rogue agents. The lying has been a matter of policy. We’re now learning that the feds had these agreements with police agencies all over the country, affecting thousands of cases.

>On the one hand, I guess it’s better that this new data-sharing policy is acknowledged in the open instead of carried out surreptitiously.

>On the other hand, there’s something even more ominous about the fact that they no longer feel as though they need to hide it.
>...of course, the nifty thing for government agencies about a “war on terrorism” is that it’s a war that will never formally end.
>>
>>31021
Nah we actually had a few threads about this a few weeks ago but they are probably archived by now. Still relevant though imo. It turns out that this move by the US government comes in tandem with similar moves by the British GCHQ and the German Government equivalent. Probably in other allied countries as well but we just don't hear anything about it in our press.
>>
Enjoy your van
>>
>>31021
I don't mind. I have done nothing illegal.
>>
>>31021
The second I get stopped by a cop and arrested or even brought in based on something I bought at Amazon I will keep quiet and obey them until they look away and then I will kill a lot of government workers. I am not even lying about this. If you push me you better be ready to pull the trigger because I won't stop. There are people out there that kill people because they are crazy and have issues with bullies and daddy issues and then there people like me that just don't give a fuck. I don't care what happens to me I just need a reason. I would probably target something big like the federal reserve in NYC and just find a way in during lunch or something and just kill and kill and kill. I don't care who I would kill either anything any one I am that type of person when it comes to things and just snap. I pray that never has to happen but if they push me hard enough and I have nothing left to lose.
>>
>>31102
I live in a country generally assumed to be a dictatorship. One of the Arab spring countries. I have lived through curfews and have seen the outcomes of the sort of surveillance now being revealed in the US. People here talking about curfews aren't realizing what that actually FEELS like. It isn't about having to go inside, and the practicality of that. It's about creating the feeling that everyone, everything is watching.
the purpose of this surveillance from the governments point of view is to control enemies of the state. Not terrorists. People who are coalescing around ideas that would destabilize the status quo. These could be religious ideas. These could be groups like anon who are too good with tech for the governments liking. It makes it very easy to know who these people are. It also makes it very simple to control these people.

Lets say you are a college student and you get in with some people who want to stop farming practices that hurt animals. So you make a plan and go to protest these practices. You get there, and wow, the protest is huge. You never expected this, you were just goofing off. Well now everyone who was there is suspect. Even though you technically had the right to protest, you're now considered a dangerous person.

With this tech in place, the government doesn't have to put you in jail. They can do something more sinister. They can just email you a sexy picture you took with a girlfriend. Or they can email you a note saying that they can prove your dad is cheating on his taxes. Or they can threaten to get your dad fired. All you have to do, the email says, is help them catch your friends in the group. You have to report back every week, or you dad might lose his job. So you do. You turn in your friends and even though they try to keep meetings off grid, you're reporting on them to protect your dad.
>>
>>31102
That's the problem you don't get to decide that. You think you haven't done anything illegal and maybe you have or maybe you haven't. Etherway you don't get to make that call. Ever wonder why a cop off duty can drive 90 mph with his family on July 4 with a couple of beers and just flash his badge to get off? Or a prison guard can beat and rape an inmate and just claim it's self defense? It's funny how we forget that when someone is watching us they always manage to spot a flaw... Just some food for thought, even though it sounds like your joking.
>>
>>31138
Thanks for this post m8. Interesting.
>>
>>31073
>posting your illegal activities for all to see
I think the NSA should be shut down but since we all know that won't happen I think it's idiotic to flaunt aspects of your lifestyle that will easily land yourself in prison.
>>
>>31102
Saying you don't care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is like saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say.

Government and media use terrorism and fear as a scapegoat for the erosion of your rights, betting against the apathy of people like you.
>>
>>31021
This is not new news, they've been doing this since 9/11

Fbi was doing hundreds of information requests a month at one point
>>
>>31021
I don't care. I live in a 3rd world shithole
>>
>And we don’t have to guess who’s going to suffer this unconstitutional indignity the most brutally. It’ll be Black, Brown, poor, immigrant, Muslim, and dissident Americans: the same people who are always targeted by law enforcement for extra “special” attention.

I'm not /pol but that triggered me a bit, anyway
Alot of my Email and phone numbers can be tied back to shit eventually (that data never goes anywhere, just accumulates) and it scares me
>>
>>31138
>the year is 1984
>>
>>31102
>I have done nothing illegal.
But what they're doing is illegal. Parallel construction like this violates the fourth amendment.
>>
>>31021
Since the Army's cyber command falls under the NSA and the Army can't deploy on US soil there may be a clear-cut case for TECHNICAL unconstitutionality. Ethically, this is pure garbage. Big data will kill freedom.
>>
>>31222
>I think the NSA should be shut down
That'd be like scuttling our fleets and handing our nukes to China
>>
>>31229
This will effect the USA too.
>>
>>31297
>implying the NSA actually performs any useful duties that couldn't be aptly handled by the other federal agencies such as FBI and CIA.
>>
>>31320
Look up what the NSA actually does. Their primary mission is that of signals intelligence overseas. FBI is domestic, and while CIA is mainly human intelligence (although that's mainly the NCS arm) overseas. Even then, NSA is only one of 16 Intelligence Agencies. If you're going to talk about intelligence agencies, learn what the fuck their mission protocols are.
>>
>>31299
Kek
>>
>>31363
>Their primary mission is that of signals intelligence overseas. FBI is domestic, and while CIA is mainly human intelligence
So this means that the fbi is mainly receiving info on persons in the US who came from outside the US, is that correct?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.