[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: kAdGj1r.png (29 KB, 280x231) Image search: [Google]
kAdGj1r.png
29 KB, 280x231
Some past it hippy blames Spotify for killing music

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35724501

rip
>>
Quality albums are still bought when it impresses the listeners enough, oftentimes on multiple formats even. This shit only affects bad pop musicians that make more than they should and gives better exposure to bands that deserve more fans
>>
>>29552
This. As a music lover i choose to support the artists I really enjoy.
>>
Your music is your means of promotion in the music industry today.
Merch and shows are what will make the bulk of your earnings as a musician.

If anything, streaming services are promoting artists even further through the convenience of browsing their catalog.
Having a shirt of your favorite artist and paying a ticket to see them has a bigger financial impact on them then just an albulm sale that they'll most likely make $2 if they're signed with a bigger label.
>>
Artists make most of their money touring so I don't understand the relevance. If anything streaming allows ease of access to your music possibly getting even more people to see an artist live.
>>
>>29552
>>29556
CDs are going extinct. For the obscure artists that need to be supported, sometimes you can't find them anymore, even online. If it's a really small artist I might buy digital files as a sort of donation, but only if they're DRM free and lossless, and there isn't really a good way to do that unless the artist sells them directly from their website or something, which not everyone does.

>>29627
Small artists often don't profit enough from tours to cover production costs. Tours were always about building a fan base and selling albums, more than they were about directly funding them. If you can sell out stadiums for $60 a seat then you're set, but how are you supposed to get that far? That's the argument for the need to sell music, not that I necessarily buy it

I don't know a lot about it, but I think it should be possible for most of them to cut production costs by learning about their trade and taking a more DIY approach to production. While I don't know a lot about music production, I do know that the technology involved has got to be a lot cheaper now than it was in the music industry's heyday. Since you can there are no manufacturing or distribution costs on the Internet (renting a server is negligible), it seems like the cost of getting your music into people's hands should be a lot lower than it used to be, and maybe a clever artist wouldn't a giant company to bankroll him anymore. I also think that people are wussies about tours these days, flying around and shit. If you're not touring in an old van with a trailer, I don't think you have a lot of right to complain that you can't make enough money from touring.

>>29549
I didn't read the whole article, but I read enough of it to know that it's not immediately clear what exactly is being complained about. Doesn't Spotify pay royalties? It seems like this guy is just complaining about one source of income being replaced by another.
>>
>>29549
the music that artists create is their intellectual property. to use it without their permission, as is the case with many artists whose music is streamed, is a crime. adding insult to injury is the ridiculously low royalty rate that spotify is willing to pay per stream and the fact that there is no objective way to audit the number of streams that spotify claims happens.

i understand that streaming services are here to stay, but there has to be some kind of regulation on this industry so that artists dont starve to death... otherwise, the quality of music will decline as it becomes less profitable to be a musician...
>>
>>29650
>adding insult to injury is the ridiculously low royalty rate that spotify is willing to pay per stream and the fact that there is no objective way to audit the number of streams that spotify claims happens.
Can Spotify stream music without its owner's permission? If so, then the solution is to stop that, so that owners can accept or deny terms. If owners are accepting Spotify's terms, or they're accepting the terms of record companies who are accepting Spotify's terms, or whatever, then they have no right to complain.
>>
>>29650
>otherwise, the quality of music will decline as it becomes less profitable to be a musician...
There has been no meaningful decline in the amount of quality music being produced. You basically just have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>29648
>CDs are going extinct.

and being replaced by records
>>
>>30075

Only for people with a handlebar moustache and bottle of craft ale from the local microbrewery
>>
>>29549

i don't know what spotify is
>>
Timing is more important than anything man. Fuck moneyfarming golden pony pseudorapper fucksticks and dime a dozen pop shitters. They wrack their brains for a lifetime trying to figure out what we already know. If you have the grace of the almighty about your music money will just come to you. Put in the work and your dreams come true, that's how it do.
>>
>>30017
This
I mean griz releases his music for FREE and makes enough money from shows to get by. Maybe we should stop pretending that a talented musician needs more income than a talented engineer.
>>
>>29552
>>29556
Yep, the capitalist greedpigs still can't comprehend that the 90s trend of turning everything into cynical shit and expecting record profits doesn't actually work. If you want money you either have to make something of value or just social engineer everyone to love niggers, the latter of these of course being the course they took, which is far inferior. People will buy video games, music and movies when they don't fucking suck. Everything sucks now.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.