[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is James Crying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (403 KB, 864x483) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
403 KB, 864x483
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/01/apple-fbi-congress-hearing-iphone-encryption-san-bernardino

>The Justice Department is on a “fool’s errand” trying to force Apple to unlock the iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino terrorists, lawmakers told FBI director James Comey on Tuesday.

>Lawmakers of both parties sharply challenged Comey as the House judiciary committee considered the FBI’s court order to unlock an iPhone owned by Syed Farook, who with his wife killed 14 people at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California, in December and was killed by law enforcement.

>Legislators repeatedly accused the Justice Department of overreaching its authority and undermining both privacy and cybersecurity. Several endorsed Congress passing a law settling the boundaries – something Apple supports – and accused the FBI of trying to circumvent Congress by launching a lawsuit against Apple.

>“Can you appreciate my frustration with what appears to be little more than an end-run around this committee?” asked Democratic congressman John Conyers. Representative Zoe Lofgren called FBI demands to weaken Apple’s security a “fool’s errand” that undermined cybersecurity.

>Comey, a well-respected figure in Congress, likened impenetrable digital encryption used to protect customer’s privacy such as that of Apple to a “vicious guard dog”.

>“We’re asking Apple to take the vicious guard dog away and let us pick the lock,” Comey said. “It’s not their job to watch out for public safety. That’s our job.”

>He said that neither Apple nor any other tech company ought to be permitted to create “warrant-free spaces” through the use of robust encryption, particularly as mobile and software manufacturers increasingly render user keys inaccessible to themselves.

It's good to see the police state losing...for once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571BuZeeQjE
>>
>>26511
>neither Apple nor any other tech company ought to be permitted to create “warrant-free spaces”

So basically he believes nobody is allowed to have any level of privacy or protection from police or government agencies.
>>
>>26511
yep. it's good to see they clearly can't access the technology to do it themselves. That doubt has always been on the back of my mind.

Also, that they don't seem to know how the things work
>>
>>26731
Anybody with the internet can reset the password on an iPhone. I've done it three times myself (twice, due to my boss being an idiot, and once because my friend's father died without giving anyone his password.)

This is a power grab. They don't need Apple to crack the phone. Even if they did, there's likely next to nothing on the phone itself. Most everything you do on those ends up in the cloud, so they could just as easily go after the, traditionally cooperative, ISPs.
>>
>>26780
Yeah, but this is the same FBI that left mountains of shredded documents in the house these two were living in, after they "completed" their investigation, and the landlord let the press in. (Showing the guy's poor mum's ID and social security cards at 1080p.)

I'm sure about a quarter of the FBI staff has kids who can crack that phone.

It's like they aren't even doing an investigation - just using this opportunity to expand their powers.
>>
>>26511
Fucking Apple.
UNLOCK THE GODDAMN PHONE.
>>
>>26789
Hell, I show you how to do it for free with no software at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7c0XWdy-t0
^ Which is what my druggie friends do when they want to sell stolen iPhones and get credit card information from them.

This whole investigation has been a scam from the start - they left shredded documents in the terrorist's home, FFS.
>>
>FBI is still using fucking chisel and tablet, wants apple to throw them a bone and apple would rther continue towards world domination, thanks

this world we live in, right?
>>
>>26870
I'm almost wondering if this is some elaborate viral ad by Apple to both make them look good, and fool people into thinking their data is much more secure than it actually is.

Any tech geek hoodlum can unlock an iPhone in seconds.
>>
I seriously don't get how anybody believes this is anything but a shameless power grab. Fucking pickpockets and junkies steal and crack phones, you're telling me the FBI can't?
>>
>>26903

easily
>>
>>26511
CUS HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON
>>
>>26511
>>27551
I ain't even lyin'
>>
>>27551
>>27567
My niggas
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.