[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supreme Court Justice Scalia dies during hunting trip in Marfa (Texas)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /news/ - Current News

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 1
http://www.kvia.com/news/breaking-surpreme-court-justice-scalia-dies-during-hunting-trip-in-marfa/37981652

Confirmed by several other sources.
>>
They better FILIBUSTER whatever Obama wants added in...
>>
The response from Republican candidates on Twitter thus far has cumulatively been arguments for a replacement as appointed by the next president. This would leave the position open for almost a year. This is also on top of the impending rulings on immigration and executive powers.
I wonder how much lip service the candidates are going to pay to Scalia at tonight's debate.
>>
Obama will appoint one more Lena Dunham to the Supreme Court.

> 2017
> having testicles is unconstitutional
>>
How long until SCOTUS can rule on another case?
>>
>>23023
I always wanted to be a woman though...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
>>
>>23026
Ruth Bader Ginsburg is still alive though anon?
>>
RIP America
>>
>>23022
this is objectively a very big deal for the USA.

they had crucial decisions, like about the interpretation of the second amendment (protecting personal ownership vs government "militia" only) that went 3:5

they can totally outlaw gun ownership in the near future, and many other things.
>>
>>23025
I, for one, welcome our new SJW overlords.
>>
>>23024

They can rule now. In the event of a 4-4 split, the lower court's decision is affirmed without setting SCOTUS precedent.
>>
>>23021
Yeah, I love intentionally destroying good governance because political football is more important. Why don't we just obstruct every appointment and bill until one tribe has an absolute majority because "the other side" will do the same?

Sentiment like this is borderline treason.
>>
The "progressives" at Democratic Underground are gleefully expressing their collective joy at this man's death. It is almost as disgusting as watching the Pallies dancing in the streets when the towers fell.
>>
>>23052
Did you cry for Bin Laden and Saddam too, you blubbering baby? Spare me your relativistic sentimental crap about how there's no such thing as a bad belief or person and we should all respect such and such because in their heart they were trying to do good and loved their dog or some shit.

He was a bad person. He did bad things. If he had taken a different course in life maybe he would have been nothing more than an annoying sicilian asshole, such as a particularly draconian and uncool school principle, and it could be said that people should respect his basic humanity. But he actively sought out power and tried to make life worse for all America with his asshole mentality. Just because you think of him as part of your political tribe does not make his influence any less evil.
>>
>>23053
Thank you for making my point.
>>
>>23053

And i'm pretty sure him not belonging to your political tribe doesn't make him evil.

Bring something to the table more substantial than him having "actively sought out power" if you want to be taken seriously.

Otherwise, by all means, keep drowning in a waterfall of schadenfreude. But don't expect to be convincing.
>>
>>23053
>"The constitution doesn't say you can do this, so you can't."
>OH MY GOD FUCKING EVIL CONSERBATIBS HOLDING US DOWN SOMEBODY TEAR UP THIS CONSERTUTION THING SO WE CAN FINALLY GET OUR GIBS OOGA BOOGA
>>
Good night sweet prince
>>
>>23057
The constitution is a living document.
>>
>>23060
Paper isn't alive.
>>
>>23053
I don't find being an originalist and textualist to be evil. While I (like you too probably) vehemently disagreed with him on certain social issues, he agreed that, constitutionally, the federal government shouldn't have any say over those social issues. That such things are the inherent right of the local level to decide for themselves.
>>
>>23060
Woodrow Wilson only pushed that shit because the Supreme Court kept blocking provisions of the New Deal, so he stacked the court and somehow made it so that when the constitution says one thing, it actually somehow says another.

If you want a law passed go pass a law instead of having an unelected 9 man panel making up laws to force upon 300+ million people that don't want it.
>>
Excellent. Very, very good news. Finally we'll be able to make good law. Recess appointment, get a progressive judge up there, get rid of corporate personhood, make sure Republicunt politics don't destroy this country, in case Bernie doesn't win. Democrats FTW.
>>
>>23063
>Woodrow Wilson
>New Deal

Not that guy, but goddamn learn your history.
>>
>>23062
It's not the 50's anymore. The man was holding progress back with his backward thinking. Originalism and textualism are the death of progress. That's not what America and its government are about.
>>
>>23067
"Progress" is not the role of the federal government. It is the right given to the states.
>>
>>23061
tHE MEANING IS ALIVE...
>>
>>23051
Why do we have the Fillibuster if not to stop evil tyrants like Obama, though?!
>>
Sorry you have to face Sri Srivisan
srisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisrisirsrisrisrisrisrisrisrisri......................

http://komonews.com/news/nation-world/sri-srinivasan-who-is-he-scalias-possible-replacement
>>
>>23024
Cases continue to be heard en banc (all justices currently sitting on the court). The
quorum for SCOTUS is 2/3rds, or 6 out of 9 Justices.

SCOTUS basically has broad leeway to do what it wants and self-govern within the bounds of the constitution they define. We could see important cases heard and decided, postponed, or reargued after the new Justice is confirmed to the Court, whenever the hell that may be in the face of Obama vs a hard Republican congress.
>>
>>23030
The Supreme Court doesn't work that way. The judicial momentum and the force of precedent are in the direction of a broad construction of the Second Amendment (see D.C. v. Heller, McDonald v. Chicago, et al). Reversing that now would look very messy, and probably dangerous.

Either way, rights are not granted by the government. They are circumscribed by the people. No right can be taken away without our capitulation to that end.
>>
>>23071
Obama organizes it
>>
>>23067
That is what Americas government is and should be about.
>>23068
This.
>>
>>23023
I don't like the thought of religious conservatives putting more justices on the court. But given how outright sexist Clinton's campaign has been, I'm more worried about her potential picks.
>>
>>23063
>Woodrow Wilson only pushed that shit because the Supreme Court kept blocking provisions of the New Deal
>Woodrow Wilson
>New Deal
>What is FDR

You ain't too far off but careful with the names, Anon.
>>
This nigga here wents to hunt quail and gots hisself kilt
>>
>>23055

>i'm pretty sure him not belonging to your political tribe doesn't make him evil

His votes to criminalize sodomy/gay sex - not in public, but in general - and gut the Voting Rights Act aren't exactly "neutral" acts, son.
>>
I feel sad for his loved ones but elated for the Untied States.
>>
>>23149
Homosexuality is a mental problem though.
>>
>>23155
[CITATION NEEDED]
>>
Of all the threads that need a good Reddit cleaning, this is the one...
>>
Pity for the family man lost, but nothing else of value was lost. Picked because of the supposed liberal push of abortion and civil rights.

Good riddence. Not that Obama will get anyone through. So hardly matters.
>>
>>23149
The first one was wrong, the second you named was just holding a popular law to constitutional scrutiny.

whoever replaces him will hold progressive values above what the constitution actually says, that that will be a disaster
>>
>the guy against recording devices because of accountability which he called 'takinnout of context
boomers cant die out fast enough
>>
The only good that can come from this is that a Republican wins and gets stalled out the whole first year of his term. Giving a chance for the demos to centralize sweep 2020 and countless lower positions and upper ones across the nation.
The republicans are chanting victory too soon on this issue. They still haven't taken out Trump whom they know will sweep the primary if he wins Saturday.

This is gold, you just can't make this stuff up. Based Scalia something good came out of those 30 years on the bench. A long term nation wide win for democrats. Not even in the hole and already rolling off the autopsy table.
>>
Looks nice and plump, lot of cushion for pushin'

Bet he could've rode my cock like a cowboy, it would've made america pretty great again
>>
>>23194
>>>/b/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>23197
>being unable to ignore it
>b-b-but i was just
no john you're the cancer
>>
>>23197
Triggered much? :)
>>
>>23200
Sorry anon, I'll do better next time
And checked
>>
>>23078
>Either way, rights are not granted by the government. They are circumscribed by the people. No right can be taken away without our capitulation to that end.

What if you have a large number of issues where different demographics of minorities care passionately about the legal precedent, while the majority is indifferent to the majority of issues?

That is, what if you have the case where most people will capitulate to most restrictions except a few particulars?
>>
>>23220
The minorities engage militarially.
>>
>>23068
>individual states in charge of progress
That leads to nothing but complete chaos and disorder.
>>
>>23249
Just look at Europe...
>>
>>23155
lol ok
>>
citizens united
>>
>>23255
What's wrong with people joining together to get their viewpoints across?
>>
>>23255
So groups do not have free speech rights? dos that include unions and advocacy groups, or does it only apply to evil corporations who you assume you disagree with?
>>
>>23272
>>23260
might as well make slander legal under that argument
>>
>>23067
lol dude you sound like a communist "This man is holding back the progress of the revolution kill him"
>>
Drudge thinks Scalia was murdered: www.drudgereport.com
>>
>>23284
>might as well make slander legal under that argument

opinions you dont like are not a form of slander
>>
>>23060
>The constitution is a living document.
Scalia just rolled over in his coffin.
>>
>>23155
No, it's a biological mutation like down syndrome, that affects their estrogen and testosterone levels while having a direct influence on the brain, yet it's not mental. Transexuality isn't a mental problem either, it's just a disbalance with the estrogen and testosterone levels as a direct effect of being born with 2 sexual organs, it happens rarely. Transgenderism is a mental problem and it should be treated as such but unfortunately people would rather have a surgery instead of visiting the psychiatrist.
>>
>>23326
Wow you know a lot about this topic... more than the average Anon on /news/!
>>
>>23318
Much like in life. Fucker was fat.
>>
>>23078
>The Supreme Court doesn't work that way.
no, that's exactly how it works.

research how they suddenly turned 180 on every major social issue from race to same sex. guns are next.
>>
>>23326
Transgenderism is about as much of a biological issue as transsexuality, but our current medical capacities aren't able to fluidly transfer someone to the sex whose hormonal balance they feel more comfortable experiencing.
>>
>>23024
Court comes back in session on Feb 22nd with two hearings.
>>
>>23053
Dude there was some seriously distasteful shit when bin laden dies. I was in high school at the time, and the DJ at our highschool dance mixed Obama's announcement into the music. It was extremely poor taste. Like, yes. It is a victory for an evil man to be dead, but not only was Scalia far from an evil man, even if you disagree with him, but like, celebrating death so openly is disgusting
>>
>>23526
This

Hey this thread makes this board seem fun.

Governing>campaigning

As my introductory post here I'd add that my present state in life makes me regret mocking acquaintances for majoring in polisci, secondly (redacted)
>>
>>23071
We shouldn't have the Fillibuster at all.
>>
>>23538
Hah. No.
>>
was it murder?
if so was it the left wanting a replacement? the right wanting stronger partisan friction for the general election? his wife wanting black cock?
>>
>>23020
America can now become great again
>>
>>23558
It was Cheney.
>>
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/open-full-inquest-justice-scalias-suspicious-death
>>
>>23638
>https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/open-full-inquest-justice-scalias-suspicious-death
when I heard about his death, the Clintons came to mind for some strange reason
>>
>>23642
https://www.truthorfiction.com/clintonfriends/

Maybe because of this...
>>
The senate will no doubt block any nominee Obama tries to appoint. Which means this next election will decide two branches of government.

The stakes have been raised.
>>
>>23030
That would help the republicans since they get a rally of angry people from supreme court action.
>>
>>23135
>>23064
Bait

>>23160
Idiot
>>
I disagreed with the man on pretty much everything, but I will not celebrate his death.

>>23603
Wanting black cock?
>>
was Dick Cheney there? :/
>>
I disagreed on his opinions on social issues but I respect the stance he took on them. It is not the Supreme Court's job to amend the Constitution. It is their job to interpret it.
I fear what will happen after losing such a loud voice that was so staunchly in support of privacy.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.