[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an entry level mountain bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 2016_Diamondback_Overdrive_27.5.jpg (188 KB, 1500x947) Image search: [Google]
2016_Diamondback_Overdrive_27.5.jpg
188 KB, 1500x947
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an entry level mountain bike under $450 and I've looked at the Specialized Hardrock, Giant ATX, Cannondale Catalyst 4, Trek 3500, and a few others. However, I read some bike forums and they suggested that Diamondback was a better buy since most of the components are the same brand (sram/shimano) and the frames are probably built in the same place.

I'm new to mountain biking so I'm hesitant to buy Diamondback mainly because they aren't sold at my local bike shops, although I've read that I'm basically paying extra for the name at this price range if I go with the other brands. Is this true? Is Diamondback the better value for the price?

pic related: it's the bike I'm looking to buy off amazon for $430.
>>
I have a hardrock. It is now 10 years old and still running like new on the trails. Not the best because entry level hardtail, but it still rocks.
>>
> most of the components are the same brand (sram/shimano) and the frames are probably built in the same place.
This is the key to buying bike. The name brand doesn't really matter. The components do. Research the components on the bikes you're looking at. Learn whats decent and what's shit.
>>
>>977608
>Research the components on the bikes you're looking at
what bike components specifically should I research?
>>
>>977609
Shifters, derailures, brakes.
Forks.
Bottom brackets, crank sets, wheels.

In general, also frame materials and design. But that's not an issue for what you're looking at. It's all going to be unbutted aluminum.
>>
>>977611
In order of importance, btw.
>>
>>977611
>>977614
ah okay thanks(:
One more question: since I'm going to be buying online, I'll have to assemble the bike myself. I don't think I'll have too much trouble assembling the bike, but I'm worried about having stuff like the brakes or gears out of wack. Should I just have a local bike shop assemble it for me?
>>
>>977615
likely buying online*
>>
>>977615
Depends on how much of a mechanical retard you are. That's more research you'll have to do. Look into the bqg >>>/n/bqg thread.
If you decide to let the shop handle it you might even be bettor off buying locally in the first place.

I know at least ChainReactionCycles in Europe ship bikes essentially preassembled.
>>
>>977622
alright thanks for the info.
>>
>>977606

anything below deore or x5 is trash
>>
>>977626
okay thanks?
>>
>>977628

That's the group I'm talking about. As for fork rockshox is preferable as for frame double butted or better is the way to go.

I say save up a little more if you want a bike you can bet your life on.
>>
>>977628
And so your road to bike snobbery begins.
Your first research task is to figure out what this >>977626 actually means.
>>
>>977629
I'm not going to be doing steep downhill biking, maybe some light trails. I live in Florida and it's pretty flat so I don't think I will need to spend over $600 on a mountain bike.
>>
>>977633

Your money your decision but if you like the sport in the future, upgrading a shit frame will be a waste of money. Getting mid range bike will last you a long time.
>>
File: dr katz.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dr katz.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>maybe some light trails
... are you actually simply a pleb and not after a mountain bike at all, but merely a bike?
>>
see if you qualify for discounts on stuff from pro motive. got me a 55% discount
>>
>>977671
thanks for the headsup man.
>>
>>977671
what team should I join?
>>
>>977615
There's nothing bike shops like more than "I bought this online instead of at a real bike shop to save a few bucks but now shit doesn't work right, pls halp"

>>977637
Agreed
>>
File: hannjob.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
hannjob.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>977606
i just picked up a DB line, good brakes, decent fork, sramx5 1xmeme,

this is good enough for my "B" hobby (roadie) Diamondback makes some crap but also some gems, just make sure you are getting the frame with the square tubes not the oval ones, that shit is weak.

also i wouldnt be surprised if your paint came scratched due to poor packing
>>
>>977717
How hard/easy was the assembly?
>>
>>977717
my summer job during school was as a bike mechanic so pretty easy.

Just go slow tackle one section at a time, its not rocket science, also a guide should be included https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ1qz_rfU-c
>>
>>977722
Thanks. I'm just paranoid because I don't wanna fuck up the gearing or brakes on a brand new bike, even though in the back of my mind I know it should be a fairly straightforward process.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (10 KB, 257x196) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
10 KB, 257x196
>>977676
anything you can, except imdba discounts are shit. look into stuff from Raleigh too
>>
The biggest difference maker at that price point is good suspension and good brakes. But you're also

>Florida
so suspension might not even matter that much.
>>
>>977606
With trek fest coming up, look into a trek marlin 5 29er on clearance. My shop has one for 450
>>
>>977790
Really??? That would be amazing. What's trek fest and how do I participate?
>>
>>977901
Right now is the trek summer sale before new models release at trek fest. Fest is for dealers and industry insiders
>not mechanics like me
Since all old inventory has to go you can probably get a clearance bike for just above cost. Also there's the trek card, 12 months no interest if paid in full.
>but it's 450, 500... Why bother?
>>
>>978130
Shit man thanks. I'll definitely look into that.
>>
BTW Florida has some intense trails look on singletracks
>>
>>978376
Yeah but I'm gonna be doing mostly green trails. And there's no downhill riding here as far as I know. I'm not going to do black diamond stuff or anything.
>>
>>978462
>I'm not going to do black diamond stuff or anything.
I said that earlier this year, but I was very extremely wrong. Get some pads and huck yourself off some log structures. What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>978588
do you just say fuck it and blast down?
or go slowly down first to see the terrain
>>
>>979328

Don't push your luck on totally unfamiliar trails, no.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.