[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QUICK BRITIAN IS IN TURMOIL WHAT BIKES DO WE BUY ONLINE FROM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: image.gif (997 KB, 160x81) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
997 KB, 160x81
QUICK BRITIAN IS IN TURMOIL WHAT BIKES DO WE BUY ONLINE FROM THEM AT £.75 per $1
>>
>>972189
I did look into this since I buy stuff from the UK.

But only dropped 10%. That's barely a sale. I mean that's huge if all your holdings are in GBP, but it's only so-so in terms of sale pricing. And prices might spike since the yen spiked a bit, meaning it will cost more for UK to restock as their currency is worth less, and they have to pay higher prices because the yen is worth more as well.
>>
I'm on the fence about buying some Shimano RS81 C35 wheels.
>>
>>972189
every Canyon mtb on the island
>>
>>972197
>buying a high end mountain bike
literally why, you're just going to use it to pedal down to the local walmart every day
>>
>>972231
>literally why
RESELL TO AMERICAN DENTISTS
>>
File: 20160512_161514-1-1.jpg (1 MB, 2933x1552) Image search: [Google]
20160512_161514-1-1.jpg
1 MB, 2933x1552
>>972231
Hey fuck you. I really need a better mountain bike
>>
I want a brompton
>>
>>973026
That's a road bike.
>>
File: 20160524_073722-1.jpg (1 MB, 2981x1677) Image search: [Google]
20160524_073722-1.jpg
1 MB, 2981x1677
>>973028
No that's a Cyclo cross bike with slicks
>>
>>973030
Thats a road bike
>>
>>973042
The geometry bruh
>>
$1 = £1.34

what are you talking about
>>
File: bob_saget_is_gangsta.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
bob_saget_is_gangsta.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>>973042
>it has drops so it must be a road bike
Nigga plz.
>>
genesis croix de fer
>>
>>973156
>35mm tire clearance

Kop tet.
My Charge Plug takes more than that and that's supposed to be a road bike.
>>
>>973067
>>973110
> It has space for wider tyres which excludes it from the road bike category
So if anon swaps the fork for a less versatile one that fits 25mm max, is it now half a road bike?
>>
>>973030
>>973067
>>973178
CX bikes are a subset of road bikes, even if they're rarely actually used on paved surfaces that is what they have been adapted from. Sure the geometry can be a bit different (that particular one doesn't look that different) but then pure road bikes can also vary quite a lot, same goes for being able to fit wide tyres.

CX bikes are just road bikes that combine all the variances that make them more suitable for riding off road, except for having flat bars (and no, drop bars are not a requirement for a road bike).
>>
>>973186
>CX bikes are a subset of road bikes
No, they're not. They're specifically built to ride off road on grass and in mud. They are not road bikes in any definition of the word.
>>
>>973178
If you put a road fork on your 29" mountainbike, would it be half a roadbike?
>>
are brooks saddles cheaper now?
>>
>>972195

Shit, I put in an order for the wheels on chain reaction, and I got an e-mail from them saying they no longer ship to US APO addresses.
>>
>>973221
>They're specifically built to ride off road on grass and in mud.
You mean they're road bikes that are built to be more suitable for off road riding. If they were specifically built for off road use from the ground up then they'd be mountain bikes.

>They are not road bikes in any definition of the word.
Why, because they're not built specifically for road use? There is no precise definition for a road bike but we all know what a typical one is like. CX bikes are very similar to those just with a few more off road focused aspects (large tyre clearance, slacker geometry, better brakes, etc.).
>>
>>973272
>If they were specifically built for off road use from the ground up then they'd be mountain bikes.
Dude. Do you even know what the cyclocross discipline is? You might as well say that road bikes could not be built for the road, or they'd be velomobiles.
A cyclocross is an off road, drop bar, relatively narrow tyre bike. It is not a road bike. You imbecile. To be a road bike in even a broader sense it would at least have to be built for road riding, and cyclocrosses are not. Thank's for also clarifying that you are literally making the dropbar→road bike fallacy I parodied earlier.
>>
>>973287
When I say road bike I'm referring to the style of bike, not the intended use. A rigid mountain bike with slicks could be a road bike in usage, but it's not the typical road bike style.

Like wise a CX bike could be considered a mountain bike in usage, but it's not the typical mountain bike.

Stick some slick tyres on a CX bike and it essentially becomes a typical road bike. Like wise take a typical road bike and stick some wider knobby tyres on it (assuming it has clearance) and you basically have a CX bike.
>>
>>973292
>When I say road bike I'm not actually saying road bike, but some non-intended use for something that isn't a road bike but looks superficially similar to twelveyearolds who don't know what CX is
I'm glad we got that cleared up. So it's not a road bike. It just has drop bars. Now kill yourself.
>>
>>973314
>It just has drop bars
And 700c wheels, road bike like geometry, road bike drive train (it may have a wide range MTB cassette, hard to tell). If that photo was of it on a paved surface and you didn't know the model you'd say it was a road bike.
>>
File: veryfuckyou.gif (119 KB, 320x600) Image search: [Google]
veryfuckyou.gif
119 KB, 320x600
>>973319
No I wouldn't. The mile long chainstays, BB drop and V-brake bosses give it away. Seriously. Just because you're too new to tell the obvious difference between a CX and a road bike doesn't mean they're not distinct. Just because you can't personally tell the difference between a tractor and a front loader doesn't mean they aren't distinct. Stop elevating your personal ineptitude to universal fact.

A cyclo cross is.not.a.road.bike in any sense of the word. A road bike with a WiFli cassette and gravel tyres is also not a cyclocross. The two share superficial similarities, but are distinct. Like an AM bike and a hybrid. Now fuck off.
>>
>>973322
Those chainstays aren't that long, there are probably "road bikes" out there with ones just as long. Same goes for the BB drop. I'm not sure if there are any "road bike" frames with V brakes but the brakes don't make the bike, for arguments sake we could imagine it had discs (or can "road bikes" not have discs?).
>>
>>973330
>I'm not sure
Hang on to that glimmer of insight.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.