[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buying new or used?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: defy-advanced-3.jpg (209 KB, 750x585) Image search: [Google]
defy-advanced-3.jpg
209 KB, 750x585
I'm pretty new to all the biking world and at the age of 22, I've decided to buy my first road bike. I will use it for work/school because I want to save money and at the same time have a killer cardio.

I was thinking into buying a used bike like an all aluminum Argon 18 but after spending some time at a bike shop, guys suggested buying a new one because it comes with a lifetime warranty, 15% off everything in store and fitting is also included (which would normally cost 100$). I also have a hard time choosing between a road bike or a cyclocross one. I will use it 90% on the road but I love the versatility of the cyclocross. I want it to be very durable and maybe upgrade it.

Budget is 2000$ CAD for the bike alone.

>pic related
This is the bike I was interested in. A Giant Defy advanced in Shimano 105.

Thoughts?
>>
>>967657
Do you have somewhere safe to lock it? What city do you live in? If you live in Toronto/Montreal/Vancouver I would not ride a $2000 bike to scool/work, unless you can bring it in w/ you.
>>
>>967661
Yes in Montreal. I can bring it inside my gym, school and work without a problem. Is bike theft that much of a deal? I mean, if you let it in broad daylight, nobody will try to steal it right?
>>
>>967657
>I will use it for work/school because I want to save money
Used.
>>
im eating ground beef, pork roll, and rice
>>
>>967665
But I also want to race in a club. I also like to have a lifetime warranty with the bike, in case something bad happens. The discount and fitting included is also good but wonder if it's really worth it
>>
>>967685
Sounds like you need two bikes. Buy the Giant new as it's an excellent choice for clubs and racing, and buy a $20 hard tail MTB off Craigslist, throw on some slicks, and use that for commuting. I would be stressed as fuck leaving that Giant locked anywhere for more than 15 minutes.
>>
>>967726
You can also learn a ton about bike repair and maintenance by tweaking and tuning the MTB, which is sure to need some adjustments
>>
>>967726
Ok good I'll do that. The Giant is priced at 1899$ CAD, any other suggestion? I am looking for a road bike in aluminum with Shimano 105 and something to keep up with others in the club (high level amateur). I just want to know if it's worth it to buy it new because of the warranty and all the other discounts.
>>
>>967657
Life time frame warranties are not worth very much

So the deal is if you crack it as a result of manufacturing defect within the time that defects occur (trek argues two years to 5 years is when they show, giant says 4 etc) then you will get a new frame sent out.

However you may not receive that frame to your home address only to a licensed retailer of the brand

The shop will not give you the frame what they will do is then charge you to remove and replace evey component of that bicycle and assemble the new one at shop labor rate

Trek\giant whoever does not incur that cost

You cannot take the frame home to do it yourself without paying for the frame and shipping and voiding the warranty
>>
>>967734
So it's better to buy it used because the warranty is basically useless?
>>
>>967736
It depends

If you're mechanically inclined it's better to buy all your parts from like nashbar or performance for a true lifetime warranty

However if you can't figure out simple things like how to install an integrated headset, or how to install a shimano external cup bottom bracket or how to measure your bb shell

You may be better off paying a shop, but to r &r every part on a bike at the shop rate of $65/hr for a warranty may take 10 hours....

It may be worth it if you value your own time at more than $65 an hour

Or if you're like me and enjoy doing to work
>>
>>967739
What do you think of this deal

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ville-de-montreal/specialized-allez-pro-bike-aluminium-201-2-seat-tube/1160158395?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
>>967744
That has some older components on it. And it's probably not worth that price.

Also go to bike store and ride some.new bikes

A lot of people either love or hate hybrid upright style bikes like the allez and defy bikes

If it's your style go for it but older people love them
>>
>>967746
I thought the defy was more of a race type? Which one would be better for a more aggressive profile?
>>
>>967748
Defy advanced is carbon defy 5 etc is aluminum with taller head tubes and less aggressive profiles

They usually ship with claris or Sora level components depending on year
>>
>>967748
http://www.comorsports.com/specialized-2015-allez-comp-bike-black-white-red-mens
http://westwoodcycle.ca/product/cannondale-caad10-105-5-211519-1.htm

Both have race geo, very good modern allum frames, and mostly 11 speed 105. They are a bit cheaper than that giant. I'm on the other side of the world but maybe these are close to you and you could ride them and see which one you like more.

>>967744
Way too expensive for a severely outdated bike and above would be leagues better.
>>
>>967757
Thanks a lot man. I guess I'll take a new one just to be safe and race it a few years. I wonder how long will it take to see cardio improvement if I ride it hard daily?
>>
>>967663
Yeah it is, and most people will not blink an eye if they see someone stealing a bike.
>>
>>967685
>lifetime warranty
You should check, but I think if you race it and something happens because you crashed, they're not going to honor it in that case.
>>
>>967663

Lol. Niggers will literally steal your bike if you leave it out for longer than two minutes.
>>
>>967685

Get two bikes. A cheap ass-beater for commuting and nicer for racing.

Also, lifetime warranties are pretty much useless. Components are warrantied to 1-3 years anyway so that leaves only the frame.
>>
>>967825
Ehh, with Kona at least, even if the frame cracks due to user error, they'll generally offer to replace the frame at half the cost of the MSRP.
>>
>>967657
A $100 fitting is almost worthless. It usually means saddle height adjustment and KOPs.
>>
I"m OP but I'm in a similar boat though in the US. I'm really torn on what my first bike should be and for a while was dead set on going to the bike shop getting fitted and cruising for deals locally but the Nashbars are looking like a crazy good value. Especially since they seem to have a lot of little 20% off coupon codes and deals throughout the year.

I was thinking of getting an AL1 for cruising round town

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_579689____200546#ReviewHeader

And maybe the 105 or the carbon 105 a bit down the road.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_572599_-1___204874

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_572575_-1___204874

My biggest hang is the geometry witch to be honest, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for yet there.
>>
File: Cjf-OypUYAAHHg7.jpg (43 KB, 554x386) Image search: [Google]
Cjf-OypUYAAHHg7.jpg
43 KB, 554x386
>>967837
Don't buy nashbar if you're a noob because you need to assemble it yourself. Local bike shop or local buy on Craigslist/Pinkbike.

Honestly spend 1.5k on a nice entry level hardtail at your local bike shop (giant makes great ones), 500 on gear (good helmet with back armor like fox flux, padded gloves, knee pads, pump)...
>>
Also dont spend over 600 on anything lacking suspension... what the fuck.

You can lock most front forks.

>>967837
>>967757
>>
>>967757
You're in the lower mainland area? Try Pitt Meadows Cycle.

http://www.pittcycle.com/

They are super bros and have great deals tell em Nat sent you. Also yo yo from local bikefag.
>>
>>967685
>I also like to have a lifetime warranty with the bike, in case something bad happens.
Warranty only covers failure from the frame, the warranty is voided of you crash or just fuck up with anything, even is voided in some cases if you upgrade the bike or if you adjusted it without going to official dealers/mechanics. For parts, as anon said, it only covers a couple of years.

If some brand has a replacement system, that's ok, but don't expect a brand new frame if you crash or just let your bike fall and hit a pole/ground.

The best option could be the same as other anon said, two bikes, one for racing, one ghetto beater for commuting.
>>
>>967657
used

they are offering you:
- lifetime warranty on something that should not break (tons of used bikes 30+ y/o)
- an incentive to buy more shit local
- a 100$ "free" fitting that will find out you should upgrade to a higher priced bike and become even more of a Fred

you're going to ride that bike. Outside, among other people. You'll be leaving it alone for hours at a time.
do yourself a favor and buy something used at 30-40% the retail price.
>>
>>967846
>h-hi, n-nat sent me
Who?
>nat from /n/
What's en?
>faux-japanese image board dedication to planes, trains, buses boats and bicycles
what?
>Gotta go fast
huh?
>get rekt
I think maybe you should leave
>fixie fag hipsta
>>
>>967892
What did you just call me?
>I bet you don't wear a helmet
>tfw he rides brakeless
Can you just go, please?
>P,,lease kill yourself or AT LEAST get run over by an eighteen wheeler you autistic,degenerate f,,uck.
>>
>>967897
>Can you just go, please?
>fuck off downtube
>>
Racing is not that healthy or fun. It is a major stress on the body. Race bikes
might also be uncomfortable to use day in and out. There are also lots of very
fast road bikers out there, so you basically don't stand a chance against them.
And you will practically kill yourself trying to keep up with them.

So you will probably drop the race idea right off the bat. So buy a bike that is
light, fast, and has a relaxed design, something you will enjoy riding every day
if you want to.
>>
Is a 2013 Giant TCR SL1 for $1400 USD a good deal? If so, that's what I paid for mine and I could recommend it. 2000CAD is like 1550USD for reference
>>
>>967657

I also strongly encurage buying use.
as you said you are new to the the whole bike thing. and you don't seem to intend on riding races.

I think you should get somehting nice used and semi old.
maybe a decent steel road bike (no downtube shifters) , maybe a deal on a used aluminium road bike and ride that thing hard for a year or two , do some maintance stuff get a feel for what you want in a bike , maybe to on a group ride and do a overnite bikepacking trip.

then in 3 years , buy a killer advanture bike.

I gurantee you if you buy the defy , which is a nice bike , you'll want a cyclocrosser.

if you buy a cyclocrosser , you'll end up wanting a rigid 29er.

I wouldn't put that much money in you're first decent bike.

put a decent amount of money in a decent bike in a decent condition.
>>
>>967974
>2013 Giant TCR SL1
http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/searchlistingdetail.aspx?id=3045040
>>
>>967657
>work
>school
Unless you're commute is ridiculous long for a bike, I'd buy some cheap beater piece of shit you don't care about.
Get yourself a nicer bike for your days off and riding for fun.
>>
>Budget is 2000$ CAD for the bike alone.
Buy a $200 bike for getting around and a $1800 bike for funsies. It will work out cheaper in the long run.
>>
>>967834
Yeah but that's case by case issue and sometimes it's just for a clearance model so it's a 50%discoint on something already discounted for the avg consumer

Bikes go on clearance every year...
>>
>>968059
The problem with this is it makes getting around not fun.
>>
>>968064
You don't need an expensive bike to have fun, Fred.
>>
>>968069
I need one that cost more than 200$ to make commuting fun.
>>
im so sick of super hero movies
>>
>>968070
That's why you're a Fred
>>
>>968059
spot the guy whose idea of "getting around" is riding a block to the liquor store because he's too fucking lazy to walk

some people actually commute a decent distance, you know
>>
>>968127
>Spot the Fred who needs a $2000 bike to go 50km

Harden the fucc up, fucc boi
>>
>>968128
I don't NEED anything, I can take the train if I want, but if I'm spending 10 hours a week on my bike, 52 weeks out of the year, $2000 isn't that much to spend

not op, just providing some much-needed sanity to this thread
>>
File: 1450914946578.jpg (89 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1450914946578.jpg
89 KB, 720x960
>>967922
Racing is fun because it's a major stress on the body, and because there's so many more people that are faster than you. It's a giant staircase to climb. Some people feel most alive when they feel like they're dying.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.