[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many North American transit systems were built in the immediate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: seattle_monorail.jpg (318 KB, 920x767) Image search: [Google]
seattle_monorail.jpg
318 KB, 920x767
How many North American transit systems were built in the immediate post-WWII (1945-1965) era?

This is my favorite era of aesthetic design, yet it seems that this era was also the peak of car-cuckoldry, so that by the time we actually started building mass transit again, ugly post-1960s aesthetics had taken over.

tl;dr - Post mid-century modern train/transit designs, either real or concepts

>Seattle Monorail (1962)
>>
Washington Metro? That was the late 70's.
>>
>>967040
That's already past the era I'm looking for.
>>
I hear those things are awfully loud.
>>
>>967042
Small rubber tire plying on concrete tracks. I wonder why
>>
>>967043
It glides as softly as a cloud.
>>
>>967043
Is there a chance the track could bend?
>>
>>967052
>not in your life my hindu friend

Montreal is the third most used subway in north america opened in 67 last line was finished being built in the late 80's

I fucking hated living in Toronto/Vancouver their public transit is garbage and cycling was just as horrible
>>
>>967047
Kek no. In fact, it's the defining feature of straddle-beam monorail (other than the bulge in yhr middle odpf thr aisle where manufacturers would usually hide them as middle seat)

>>967052
Yes
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xT80lCQQjGI
>>
>>967063
Were you sent here by the devil?
>>
Toronto Yonge Subway opened in 1954, then the University Extension opened in 1963. While outside of your area the Bloor Danforth Subway opened in 1966 then was extended in 1968. The 1960's and 1970's was a boom period for Toronto Subway development.
>>
>>967039

off the top of my head:

- BART - San Francisco
- WMATA - Washington, DC
- LA Metro - Los Angeles

However, the first two did not open until the early 70s, and the latter was put on hold until 1991 and mostly useless until Measure R was passed in 2008.

There just wasn't any expansion, most of the "early" subway systems began in the 90s. The US rail revival is very recent, happening only since 2000.
>>
>>967039

To add,

The only reason SF and DC got metro systems was due to a massive, pressing need in both cities for them. Problem is, with trains being "out of style" at the time, the companies that built both these new systems tried to reinvent the wheel (with BART, literally so) to use 100% new things like computerized signalling/braking, prefab tracks, and so forth.

Problem is that both these systems, compared to their counterparts built in the 80s, 90s and 00s, use horrendous obsolete (and totally unique and proprietary) technology:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/BART-Needs-100-Thyristors-Power-Surge-Concord-Bay-Point-372550951.html

http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/12187147/bart-is-agency-overstating-its-age-infrastructure-problems

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/metro-armageddon-is-coming-a-year-of-shuttered-sections-massive-repairs/2016/05/06/9a7160d0-12e6-11e6-93ae-50921721165d_story.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/dc-metros-unprecedented-repair-plan/story?id=39592283

BART in particular is a major problem due to it's totally unique power system and choice of indian gauge.
>>
>>967831
The thing with BART is that the current equipment has actually been maintained pretty well, it's just that EVERYTHING is hitting its end-of-life right at the same time. For all the bitching you might hear about it, BART has been incredibly reliable, with very very few extended service outages.

The other major complaint is overcrowding. While the new trains coming in over the next few years will help a bit, basically BART is going to be dead medium-term if they don't get significant infrastructure improvement funding (a $3.5b bond is on the ballot this year), and long-term if they don't get a second transbay tube.
>>
>>967841

which is a problem as well, because SF has a lot of reasons to lobby for a Caltrain/HSR tube instead (especially given the placement of the new TTC)

my hope is that they pass their own Measure R and get two tubes (yes, expensive), and are able to do Muni across the Bay Bridge (like the Key System did)
>>
>>967848
with the new eastern span, nothing but cars is ever going across the bay bridge again, sadly. and HSR sold out to silicon valley influence by routing down the peninsula instead of across the bay, so it's BART or nothing.
>>
>>967872

The new eastern span can easily be reconfigured for light rail. Muni's vehicles only weigh about as much as a semi truck. Of course, actually doing it would require vision on both the part of the SFMTA and ACT (something neither are capable of).
>>
>>967042
I used to live right next to the monorail tracks. They're much quieter than a truck or bus going down the street.

>>967060
When did you live in Vancouver? I agree the TTC in Toronto is cancerous but Vancouver has great transit.
>>
>>967065
I assure you I'm on the level.
>>
>>967039
The Seattle monorail is nothing more than a tourist shuttle. Nobody actually uses it in their day to day commute.
>>
>>967911
late 90's in east van good times good times indeed I've been back a few times

the only thing cool about vancouver transit is the random ferries and shit
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.