[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Singlespeed hub VS kit ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 16.jpg (53 KB, 800x564) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
53 KB, 800x564
I want to build a single speed bike from scratch. Should I buy a regular cassette hub and use a single speed kit, or would a track hub be better? I've heard the rear wheel would be 'stronger', but is that really significant?
>>
Technically a dedicated single speed wheel will be better because it won't be dished. Whether that really matters is personal preference, if you have to ask probably not at all.

If you want any flexibility to use a cassette one day it's definitely worth it to just get a cassette hub. If you'll never ever want to do that consider a dedicated wheel build. Another small thing to mention - often freehub bodies running single speed conversions get grooves where the single cog sits.
>>
>>966162
>Technically a dedicated single speed wheel will be better because it won't be dished. Whether that really matters is personal preference, if you have to ask probably not at all.
This is exactly what my question was aimed at. How would that realistically manifest in driving/feel? I can't imagine this would be significant or noticeable at all, or would it?
>>
>>966167
by the way there are cogs with a wider surface to prevent cassette bite
>>
>>966162
Most ghetto way I've ever seen a way to maintain a chainline....is this a usual thing?
>>
>>966162
Really any hub made for a freebody will do. The chainline may be a small issue but they're usually in the ballpark.

If it's a major concern you can go for a cassette hub and run something more like a surly cog and spacers to fine tune it.

Converting a bike from scratch, let's assume you're looking for a road bike; I'd recommend right off the bat an older 12 speed Raleigh, Pugeot or something with pretty lugs that shines up alright. They'll come with horizontal dropouts so you don't have to worry about a tensioner.

Any additional shit is up to preference. Just remember to build it according to the demand, keep both brakes if you're riding far/fast etc.
>>
>>966162

get a ss kit.
you'll get a better road wheelset that you can later on upgrade to a geared bike.
if you don't ride the track dont get track parts. easy
>>
>>966183
I have used gusset double six
Others make them too.
Their base is usually like 6-7mm wide.
>>
>>966189
Yes. They're called singlespeeds kits. And in what way is it ghetto? It's the very least ghetto way of non-destructively converting geared frames and wheels to singlespeed.
>>
>>966162
>Should I buy a regular cassette hub and use a single speed kit

Do this. ~$20 to find out if you like SS

Then go full track hub later if you end up loving it
>>
I have a related question that may or may not sound retarded.

Are all SS hubs made so the chain line is always aligned perfectly? Are they normed to have a certain chain distance or do you always have to dish the wheel in some way?

I want to use a SS crank set that has 42mm distance. How to make sure the hub will be aligned?
>>
File: mario-cipollini.jpg (30 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
mario-cipollini.jpg
30 KB, 500x343
>>966314
>mfw i didnt realize i was replying to that shit-for-brains sieg
From now on I will make doubly sure to check for a sieg trip when a post is simpy too clueless to be true.
>>
If you're going freewheel and not fixed then you're limited to 16t at the least, unless you get one of those hubs that can take smaller freewheels down to something like 13/14t (I don't know if they make them for anything other than BMX). Using a freehub you can go all the way down to 12t, allowing you to use a smaller chainring. If you can get a frame that'll take a BMX hub you could even use a freehub with a one piece driver and go all the way down to 9t.

Before anyone says it I get that this has little practical benefit, I just think smaller chainrings looks better.
>>
>>966314
Because you're literally using a spacer to offset a modified fixed gear cog and another spacer to sandwich the entire cluster fuck under the factory lock ring

Looks like shit and only accomplishes to mar and potentially strip the free hub splines

Fixed gear hubs are threaded and can withstand the pressure
>>
>>966350
Pretty close, and to make fine adjustments you have a threaded axle not a quick release skewer so you use the nuts to align chainline

I have a fixed gear mini velo with more mks and nitto parts than /n/ has ever seen for downtown commuting
>>
>>966370
Of you're going through the trouble of retrofitting a bmx hub to fit a road frame (replacing threaded axles) then you're better off working on your fitness goals

If you absolutely cannot ride a bike with an aggressive gear ratio maintain a decent cadence then its then the problem of the parts...it's you that's the issue
>>
>>966395
>only accomplishes to mar and potentially strip the free hub splines
No more so than using a cassette. You do know that the smaller cogs on a cassette are separate pieces? You do know that there are wider single speed cogs available?

>>966399
> you have a threaded axle not a quick release skewer so you use the nuts to align chainline
Do you enjoy making shit up?

>>966401
>If you absolutely cannot ride a bike with an aggressive gear ratio maintain a decent cadence
I'm guessing you can't read too well. I said it's not a matter of gear ratio but aesthetics. Also a smaller cog with the same chainring would be a higher gear, not lower.

Fuck you Sieg, everyone thinks you're a pathetic piece of shit.
>>
>>966404
Have you ever actually worked on a bike?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline-single.html

Or do you just sit there with your gas pipe trash from the 80's?

Everything you kids "prove sieg wrong" on have been things I've done and things you parrot from reddit

Reddit can't afford good tools or do it the right way boo fucking hoo you kids band aid shit because your bikes are worth $10 on Craigslist
>>
>>966405
That's not "using the nuts to align chainline", that's rearranging spacers to offset the wheel. The adjustments with most hubs will also not be all that fine or varied, unlike using spacers on a freehub. Also when adjusting chainline on a freehub you don't have to redish the rim.
>>
>>966405
Dear god you're a waste of oxygen. You know, if you drop the trip code we wont at least know it's (You) being stupid all the time. We might think you're ten different retards.

QR cup and cone wheels have threaded axles.
A singelspeed kit doesn't impart more force on the freehub body splines than a cassette sprocket. In fact it's less, because the kit sprocket is wider.
You don't understand gearing.

Will you please, please, pretty please just kill yourself now? You contribute nothing to this world.
>>
Sorry to interrupt your conversation guys, but my question still stands.

So basically I can use any 120mm hub with a freewheel by putting two 5mm spacers in to fit my 130mm rear and I will still get the 42mm chain line, yes?
>>
>>966417
If the hub is 42mm then yes, you're not moving the cog relative to the centre line.
>>
>>966417
Assuming the axle is long enough or you get a different axle.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.