[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many seasons before this is standard on all decent road bikes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: thru-axle.jpg (97 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
thru-axle.jpg
97 KB, 700x466
How many seasons before this is standard on all decent road bikes? It's annoying that this is still considered a niche feature.
>>
"the peloton" will never want these because wheel swaps would take too long

so they'll never been as popular as you want them to be on high end bikes
>>
What, precisely, is your problem with dropouts?
>>
>>965272
> Literally asking for another useless standard to blow money on

Repent before it is too late, capitalist heretic.
>>
>>965272
Road cyclists will have to be convinced that disc brakes are worth the weight and aerodynamic losses first.
>>
>>965276
once they figure out a standard for QR thru axles (i.e. pay scott licensing bux), wheel swap time will be minimal, maybe even better because there's no chance of fucking it up

the bike industry will want to push them because of the increased lateral stiffies you get, especially in the fork area, which makes handling a lil' nicer

>>965292
i want them independent of dick breaks desu wa yo. dicks are of marginal utility on road bikes unless you run garbon rimz, but big thick and hard thru axles are genuinely useful things
>>
>>965308

Now that you mention it, yeah.
I'll probably hold off on upgrading until it becomes the new standard on race bikes.

Wonder how long until they figure out a good way to monetize half-step gearing...
>>
>>965292
>aerodynamic losses
nice try fred, but disc bikes can be made more aerodynamic as a whole than rim brake bikes due to not needing to shape the rim around needing a braking surface
>>
>>965272

>Roid cyclists
>Only now discovering the benefits of thru axles and hydraulic disc brakes

Holy shit you lycra loving faggots are slow...
>>
>>965292
Disc brake wheels don't need rim braking surface so the bikes can be just as light. Plus it's easy as fuck to make sub-weight-limit bikes
>>
>>965312
>tfw no blacked out disc brake thru axle aero road bike with full SRAM Red
Why even live?
>>
>>965319
>>Only now discovering the benefits of thru axles and hydraulic disc brakes

hey look, it's a fuggen MTB consumer retard. Have fun driving your $2,000 plastic toy to the trails bro? GNAR GNAR also muh travel
>>
>>965326
I-its c-carbb-on fiber it's just covered in plastic I I mmmean super special scientifically UV resistant glue I mean 2part epoxy iii mean plastic glue I mean science hardner!
>>
>>965326
Just throwing this out there, but I like the group of people that spend large sums of money for bleeding edge bike tech. Those are the people that fund advancements in cycling. They pay tons of money to try out the latest and greatest, then we get the refined products that came from the stuff that was deemed good enough.
I certainly don't want to spend thousands on unproven tech, but I sure am glad there are people out there that will.
>>
>>965276

Why does everybody always say that? Have they ever used a thru axle? I can install a thru axle with my eyes closed wayyy faster than lining up the the stupid lawyer clips and shit that make up a QR axle.
>>
>>965341
As a fellow late adopter on everything, I'm with you.
>>
You need compatible hubs and frames for these though, right? What production frames actually support these?
>>
>>965288
>useless
MUH STIFFNESS
>>
File: 1462868664578.jpg (17 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
1462868664578.jpg
17 KB, 300x226
>>965326
i like mtb and road equally lets fukken fite bitch

>>965312
>mfw 3x7 half step automatic electronic shifting with KERS boostu
>>
>>965345
The pro bikes don't have lawyer lips.

>>965315
That's true but are any manufacturers actually capitalising on that yet? It's a very niche market.
>>
>>965377
they don't need to yet

you will buy a new a bike because you want dics and maybe in 5 years

you'll buy a new bike because through axels are heavily marketed and the forks that come with them are an all new special tappered design that doesn't fit in your still functional disc road bike frame

but its okay because now direct mount rim brakes are the new hotness and you NEED THAT BECAUSE BIKE TECHNOLOGY IS ON THE FOREFRONT OF INDUSTRY!!!!!
>>
>>965377
>The pro bikes don't have lawyer lips.
Yes they do
>>
>>965377
Yes they do now. UCI banned removing lawyer lips.

>>965276
With disc brakes well designed through axle will make wheel changes faster because there's no need to line anything and it just works. Without lawyer lips QR would be faster but that's not relevant since they're required nowadays.
>>
Forgive an ignorant casualfag, but what are advantages of through-axle?
I didn't even know they were a thing until i bough my fatbike a week ago.
>>
>>965392
>>965384
Ah ok.

>>965393
It's stiffer and in the case of disc brakes won't rip out of the fork.
>>
>>965394
How? Why?
>>
>>965363
TA stiffens traveling forks where the legs can move independently, only braced by a flexy bridge. This tilts the wheel. The TA acts as a brace as it's at a fixed angle to the fork where a QR wheel is "loose". A triangle where none of the legs are allowed to shrink/stretch in the first place doesn't have that problem.
Rigid forks don't need TA.
>>
>>965395
A braking force acting in roughly the same height as the hub but behind the fork will try to eject the wheel. Lawyer lips are realy usefull things to have on disc forks. The standard should have been caliper in front of fork blade on the drive side, but the industry went all 'muh aesthetic appeal'.
>>
>>965469
A much more valid point for TA is dependable alignment and stiffness.
Fuck that wobbly qr shit.
Also most modern TA mounts have nice slots to lay the hub onto prior to inserting the axle unlike op fag pic related making it as fast as qr, just better.
>>
>>965308
>dicks are of marginal utility on road bikes
mine's often in the way too. balls are even worse.
>>
>>968443
I must admit when I get passed by a fredette on a de rosa and I see dat gap, my thoughts turn to how comfy cycling would be without balls and a dick

pick vaguely related
>>
>>968860
Pretty sure the womanbits aren't that comfy either. Haven't tried it though.
>>
File: 1-7.jpg (39 KB, 294x247) Image search: [Google]
1-7.jpg
39 KB, 294x247
>>968860
Bigger issue is what kind of underwear you chose. Sometimes, it's like sitting on two pencils, where your legs meet your body, if you're not wearing cycling shorts or at least compression shorts.

Any sort of bike seat like this is a clit destroyer, though.
Must avoid at all costs.
>>
>>968443
There's a reason why the best cyclist in the history of the sport cut off one of his balls.
>>
>>968880
EPOs give you ball cancer?
>>
>>965272
They shouldn't change any standard until there is a tangible and meaningful gain, not small increments. Because I say so, like going up to an 11speed cassette because Lee marketing, making sure your current bike parts are obsolete or just pissing me off. It's planned obsolescence and marketing bullshit that you should know better than to get excited over. I don't care of it's a little tiny bit better. The only I'll notice is that I had to upgrade my bike sooner and that I have less money. How does that make riding more enjoyable you cuck. Holy cow you got me mad you consumer whore, do you even ride?
>>
>>968860
They say the rubbing can get them horny a hell and they'll cum quicker during sex.
>>
>>968890
I am convinced that women don't experience pleasure from sex, they just pretend because they think we're stupid

Except this one girl, the first I ever had sex with. She was a deeply mentally ill nymphomaniac who basically lived for spreading her legs for men that she thought were beneath her. Having sex with her was like committing stranger rape, nothing else will ever compare
>>
>>968890
Unless you're already aroused, or thinking about it, the motion of pedaling isn't going to do much for you.
Just putting weight on your pubic bone now and again isn't comparable to rolling your hips like you do when you're fucking.

>>968892
And a fedora tip to you to, sir
>>
>>968889
Planned obsolescence works so well though

There are more people like op than not

So new Madden game every year, new super hero movies, new smart phone and now new bikes.....and soon new electric car every year

It's how business operates today....selling quality things that last 20 years isn't how it's done anymore
>>
>>968902
Shut up you bellend.
>>
>>968860
i get passed by qts all the time because of my stupid dick
>>
>>965319
Disc breaks will not stick in the pro peloton. Riders warned of serious accidents when the UCI started allowing in, and sure enough, a few races into the test period we saw a rider getting his shin sliced open without even going down.
They would at least have to cover them properly of it's going to be used in the future. Also vaguely remember there being some reports on them being a significant aero loss, especially in crosswinds.
>>
>>969077
That was a chainring though. It was on the wrong side and not a clean slice as you would expect from discs
>>
>>969080
You're right.
It's still an obvious hazard though. You can tell just by looking at it that it's a question of time before it would cause some bad accident if allowed in its current form.
>>
File: p5pb13539369.jpg (903 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
p5pb13539369.jpg
903 KB, 1600x1071
>>965276
>"the peloton" will never want these because wheel swaps would take too long

I'm not a roadie but you should definitely check out what SR Suntour has been working on in cooperation with BH bikes. They have a clever QR system for bolt-thru axles both front and rear.

Article:
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-maxime-marottes-bh-ultimate-29-xco-world-cup-round-3-2016.html

Video (wheel change @0:46):
https://youtu.be/R_PU-XHzHhY
>>
>>965326
>2000 dollary-doos
>mtb
my bike probably cost more than your bike, senpai.
>>
>>968874
this post gave me a semi
>>
>>965326
>Tfw too poor to afford anything but steel and aluminum
>>
>>965322
No. They can't be as light. We have 20 years of discs on MTBs and still V-braked ones are lighter.
>>
>>965394
Additionally, with through axles discs are always lined with the caliper, wherein on QR there is some wiggle room.
>>
>>965272
It's already happening. More and more bikes are moving over to disc brakes.

That said, it's kind of annoying for cyclocross because I actually prefer cantilever brakes and how easy they are to clear the mud and faster when needing to fix a flat or change a wheel out.
>>
It's not about wheel changes, it's about not wanting 2 more stupidly hot sharp metal discs when you're racing inches away from someone trying to get on the front before a key climb or a sprint or what have you, when cycling is dangerous enough as it is. When riders say no, it's not going to happen unless the ASO gets involved (which looks unlikely).
>>
>>969181

lol
Riders aren't saying "no", because objectively better brakes help PREVENT crashes.
>>
>>969200
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/uci-ignored-rider-fears-dangers-disc-brakes-claims-cpa-221442
>>
>>969200
further to my link in, I forgot to add >>969204
braking doesn't make any difference when there's a crash in a full bore 60kmh in a sprint leadout or climb approach. Please actually race your bike in an elite bunch of some numbers before commenting you pleb.
>>
File: megavalanche.jpg (300 KB, 1500x749) Image search: [Google]
megavalanche.jpg
300 KB, 1500x749
>>969181

Why don't they just grow some balls... I doubt many people have been injured from discs in mass start MTB races.

Oh Noes!! All those scary, dangerous discs. people must be dying left, right and center.
>>
>>969224
I think the disc ban is about mitigation of risk more than anything, there was only that one guy that got a pretty nasty laceration from a disc, but for road racing discs add basically nothing in advantage to the way road races are run, so theres not really any reason to have them if they present even a little bit extra hazard.

Discs are great on road bikes for normal people, problem is, everyone wants the shit that the pros use, so bike companies would have to find a way to market them to everyday joes, which probably won't ever happen.
>>
>>969224
>I doubt many people have been injured from discs in mass start MTB races.

that's because no MTB race involves 200 riders at 60kmh+ centimetres away from each other, constantly fighting for position
>>
>>969118
how do MTBs even use a power meter?

on the road, pacing by meter can be a bit tricky if the road changes gradient quite a lot, yet thats nothing compared to how fast the terrain changes in mountain biking

is it just something pros use for data after the race?
>>
>>969229
> no MTB race involves 200 riders at 60kmh+ centimetres away from each other, constantly fighting for position
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26MYX7VcVg
>>
>>969229
he posted the picture of that megatard race as a snarky thing saying MTBs do have mass races

but everyone that does that is signing 'I am a fucking retard that's going to get hurt' in the papers so its not really relatable at all
>>
>>969233
yay, you posted a bunch of riders together moving at 10mph (which never happens after this) as if thats comparable at all to road racing
>>
>>969118
>I'm not a roadie but you should definitely check out what SR Suntour has been working on in cooperation with BH bikes. They have a clever QR system for bolt-thru axles both front and rear.

woah
>>
File: leadvillestart.jpg (105 KB, 523x533) Image search: [Google]
leadvillestart.jpg
105 KB, 523x533
>>969236
>>
>>969243
That's adorable.
>>
>>969233
that's nowhere near as fast or as close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE97iUvSHk0

and that's an easy, uncomplicated finish with strong leadouts
>>
>>969231
>is it just something pros use for data after the race?
Exactly.
>>
>>969246
What a bunch of twats. If another rider laid his hands on me he'd be getting a nice back hand to the face. Also if they get close enough that their leg touches my bike then they deserve to get sliced up.
>>
>>969227
The reason is that the freds that sponsor advances in technology never actually ride when it's not sunny and 67 degrees out, so we'll all be using micro suspension hubs and wireless shifting by 2025 even on BSO thanks to them, but brakes that work in the rain or lightweight efficient dyno hubs or lightweight 11 speed ighs or thru axle or whatever will always be either stupidly expensive and/or incompatible with anything else good
>>
>>969245
>>969246
Look, you said something stupid because you don't know what you are talking about, that's ok, it's an anonymous site, nobody knows you are a moron. Why keep trying to save face? I race both road and XC, people ride just as close in starts and some finishes, and pileups feel the same. The Leadville start is way sketchier than any crit or road race, a lot of the fast qualifiers have never been in a pack, it's all downhill, there are random choke points, everyone has 32t chainrings and there are some singlespeeders so people are spinning 150rpm trying to keep up, it's a shit show. There's 1500 people and someone broke their collarbone in the start every year until 2014. Not a single person has ever been concerned about, or injured by a brake disc. That said I think discs on road bikes are useless and offer 0 advantage.
>>
>>969248
I'm very disappointed.

You were trolling well.

I genuinely believed you were an idiot who didn't understand the realities of elite road racing, it was very convincing, and now you blew it.

8/10 though, nicely done.

>>969250
I'm sure you do elite european racing all the time, don't worry.
>>
>>969252
>You were trolling well.
That was my first post in this thread.

My opinion on disc brakes is that for me the significantly greater performance outweighs the few negatives (I don't race so don't care much about the weight, less aero design, or wheel change difficulties). My commuting bikes and MTBs have them and I wouldn't go back to rim brakes. However if someone else wants to use rim brakes that's fine, it's their choice and for them the disadvantages of discs might be more significant.
>>
>>969252
So hot disc brakes injuring riders in pileups is only a possibility in "elite european racing"? What is your argument?
>>
>>969246
Damn - if road races were covered like this, live, then I would watch that shit like crazy. Damn that is intense.
>>
>>969254
I continue to use rim brakes rather than disc brakes even though I have a pretty expensive bike because they're easier to service. Changing brake pads takes 5 minutes... I honestly don't even want to fuck with bleeding my hydraulic break lines when I need to service them.
>>
>>969287
Not that I'm in any sort of rush when working on my bike but I'm certain I can change my disc pads quicker than rim pads. All you do is pull a pin, slide the old pads out, slide the new ones in and then put the pin back, literally less than a minute per end. Some calipers require you to remove the wheel but even then it doesn't take very long.

As for bleeding, it's not something you have to do very often and can be quite easy depending on the specific brake model.
>>
>>969291
Reminder that nobody who has actual experience using discs disputes their superiority
>>
>>969310
I have experience using discs and dispute their superiority
>>
>>969310

Have you installed Dick brakes before or are you just a pleb?

V-brakes are superior for non-athletes
>>
>>969321
V brakes are the second best rim brakes (next to hydraulic rim brakes) but they're still not as good as discs. They have a lot of holding power, technically more than discs due to the greater leverage, but they still have all the draw backs of rim and cable actuated brakes.
>>
>>969321
>dick brakes: install brake loosely, pull brake lever, tighten bolts, when pads are worn, replace pads, wow, that was hard
>rim brakes: fight with fifty different interdependent axes of alignment for an hour until it's sort of lined up with mostly no squealing, oops the pad wore slightly and you made the mistake of riding a bit more instead of dropping everything and spending six hours readjusting, enjoy your blown out sidewalls!
Rim brakes should be banned on the grounds of common sense
>>
>>969367
you should be banned from life on the grounds of sucking at it
>>
>>965272
I agree.
>tfw no blacked out aero road bike with discs, thru axles, slammed stem, and full SRAM Red
Why even live?
>>969181
Only the UCI faggots are saying no. The riders are saying yes.
>>
>>969373

>Only the UCI faggots are saying no. The riders are saying yes.

It's probably fucking Sram spreading all the anti disc brake shit. They can't design a hydraulic brake if their lives depended on it so they're probably trying to hold back the change for as long as they can.
>>
>>969374
SRAM isn't perfect, but at least they're better than Shimano.
>>
>>969373
>The riders are saying yes.
sweet trip, sieg
>>
>>969374
Sram was at the forefront of the disc revolution. Against is merely the innate conservatism of road cyclists in general.
>>
>>969395
>innate conservatism
you're talking about the group that swallowed plastic frames and electronic shifting like your mom swallows cum
>>
>>969367
>loosen pad bolts
>rubber band on handle
>align pads to track
>pull handle hard
>tighten bolts
Yeah, extremely super complicated. Calipers are hands down the easiest brakes to install and adjust. You must be emoyionaly scarred by a crappy cantilever made from mild cheese that squirms all over and needs German engineering, laboratory suit, cleanroom style toe in. But you sure as hell aren't describing caliper brakes.
>>
>>969118
have these axles on my bike, excellent overall can swap whells in like 8 sec
>>
>>969243
so...some guys ride mountain bikes down hill for 3 miles at the start of a long race where everyone is strung out for miles traveling at 10 mph, an hour after the start

how is this comparable to the risks in road racing again?
>>
>>969373
I don't think there has been a single pro rider that supported the use of discs, if there has been certainly more against it than for it.

What riders support the use of discs?
>>
File: large.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>969375
>Sram
>Good

Sram is literally so shit they can't design a FD that works so they cooked up this 1x bullshit marketing scheme

I've had 3 Sram groups. Never again. Sram can go fuck itself. Pure garbage.
>>
>>969466

It's not like road race courses are 200km continuous downhills. Most the time they're doing under 40kph on flat ground, somewhat spread out.
>>
>>969469
I like YAW. It's one of the only things besides weight I like about SRAM over Shimano. Long arm FD can suck a dick. I hate having to trim it, and I hate that it downshifts into the high-low position.
>>
>>969466
Let's go back and reread the thread anon

>>969181
This poster says it's a problem to have hot discs when riding in a pack

>>969224
This poster says it hasn't been a problem in MTB racing

>>969229
This poster says there aren't any MTB races with 200 riders fighting for position

>>969233
This poster shows that isn't the case

>>969246
This poster tries to discount that by posting a gopro video of a sprint finish

Let's regroup here: one or two posters are claiming that hot discs are a problem in "elite European road racing," but not in races like Megavalanche or Leadville. In the example of a sprint finish why would anyone's discs be hot? They are hardly braking at all, while a downhill mass start MTB race they clearly are. Then this guy pops up
>>969466
What are you even trying to say and what does it have to do with disc brakes?
>>
>>969287
>I've never used disc brakes
>Let me tell you how shit they are

>>969468
Absolutely correct. Every pro MTB rider curses under their breath as they start their runs, saddled as they are with treacherous disc brakes. If it weren't for those dastardly manufacturing concerns, they'd be running V-brakes like back in the good-old-days.

>>969469
>1x bullshit marketing
1x was a thing long before Sram made a dedicated gruppo for it.
>>
>>971729
1x was a niche thing, not the answer to everything.
>>
>>971729
> Every pro MTB rider curses under their breath as they start their runs, saddled as they are with treacherous disc brakes
He was talking about road bikes, the UCI doesn't ban disc for mountain bikes.
>>
>>968899
and yet riding the washing machine on the spin cycle is a thing
>>
>>974215
When you ride a washing machine, you're already trying to masturbate, and you have free range of pushing your hips back and forth.
Now, I know we're on /n/, but those of us who've actually ridden bicycles know that throwing your hips back and forth isn't something you normally do on a ride.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.