[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I test drove a few bikes today, and one of them was fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: IDEAL ZIGZAG 29 2015 ANTH.jpg (133 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
IDEAL ZIGZAG 29 2015 ANTH.jpg
133 KB, 900x582
I test drove a few bikes today, and one of them was fucking beast, so I decided I want to buy it. These are the specs:

Frame: Hardtail 29, AL6061-T4/T6
Size: 40/44/48/52/56 cm
Fork: RST Blaze-29-ML, 100 mm, Mechanical Lock Out, Preload Adjust
Rear shock
Front derailleur: Shimano Altus, FD-M370
Rear derailleur: Shimano Altus, RD-M370-SGS
Shifter: Shimano Altus, SL-M370
Bottom bracket: Shimano BB-UN26
Crank set Shimano FC-M371, 44-32-22T, <=44 cm 170 mm, else 175 mm
Cassette sprocket Shimano CS-HG30, 11-13-15-17-20-23-26-30-34T (27sp)
Chain: Shimano HG53
Front hub Shimano HB-RM33
Rear hub Shimano FH-RM33
Rims: Cross X-6, 622-21*20.5 mm
Tires: Kenda K1027 Kadre 30tpi, 29*2.10
Brakes: Shimano BR-M355 Hydraulic Disc Brakes, 180/180 mm Rotors
Handlebar: ID PROJECT, Riser Bar, 68 cm, Backsweep 5°, Rise 15 mm
Stem: ID PROJECT, <=44 cm 75 mm, else 90 mm, 7°
Seat post ID PROJECT, 24 mm Offset, 31.6*350 mm
Saddle: Selle Italia Q-Bik-Flow

I'm a greekfag, here's a link for it http://www.bike-center.gr/product_info.php?products_id=6613

Price is 500-550 euros for it. Do you think it's worth it?
>>
Oh and don't ask for local craigslist, no such shit around here.
>>
>>965113

It's a perfectly average entry-level pseudo-MTB. Everything on it is bottom-of-the-line, but at least it has hydraulic brakes. Price matches the spec but is nothing special.

See if they'll swap the stem to a 60mm at cost.
>>
>>965113
>I decided I want to buy it
Good for you. What is purpose of this thread?
>>
>>965122

OP wants validation from anonymous E-experts.
>>
>>965122
Pretty much this >>965123

I want to know if I'd be ripped off or not. I haven't owned a bike for like 10 years now and I dunno shit. Why does the stem needs to be 60mm? What will the difference be?
>>
>>965127

It helps with certain aspects of MTB handling.

It's not a big deal but it is basically standard equipment for a MTB these days.
>>
>>965113
Average. Mechs are not meant for offroad use and will probably be a pain.

Get it if you like it, put into your mind that somewhere in the near future you'll explode the derailleurs or have to adjust them after every ride, if you do even light offroad.

You're not getting ripped off, but not getting a great price either. For reference, I got a used hardtail with pretty much the same exact geometry and it's a 2012 bike. Used for 200€ and it has a better rear derailleur (but I dunno about the fork, I know nothing about RST forks)

>>965127
60mm stem is not really necessary, I put one on my hardtail as it had a 100mm stem previously and the difference is HUGE, but it's also personal taste.

>short stem
agile bike, much better when descending, need to put more thought into climbs as you HAVE to move your weight forward of the wheel.

>long stem
bike rides like it's on rails, harder to corner but during climbs your weight will pretty much automatically go over the front wheel by just putting your weight on the bar. 100mm stems are extreme on mtb and fell out of favour, 85mm is long, 50-60mm is a good all rounder, below 50mm it's more material for bikes meant to go downhill fast.

Changing stem lenght requires thinking about your fit on the bike. If you feel shoulder pain with a short stem, you need to adjust your position to put less pressure on the hands. If the issue persists, you need a wider bar (on a 50-60mm stem I wouldn't go past 710mm though but it's personal, right now I'm riding a 650mm bar on a 60mm stem and I feel it's too narrow, but adequate for the moment.)
Your bike has a 680mm handlebar so if the fit was right for you, a 60mm stem should be perfect and make the bike MUCH more fun and responsive.
>>
>>965113
that bike is a pile of shite, and even in the box i wouldn't even give more than $200.
>>
File: fucks.jpg (8 KB, 190x150) Image search: [Google]
fucks.jpg
8 KB, 190x150
>>965141
Alright, so since this one is an average choice, can you recommend me a better one and possibly less pricey? I'll look it up on the eshops here and check prices.

Something I haven't mentioned: all the roads here are completely fucked up, so it's like you're off road 100% of the time. Also on my way to work I need to ride through sand/rocks and shit on a beach for a bit and there are tons of pic related there, so I expect a regular tire will fail me quickly. Any suggestions for tires?
>>
>>965113
that is absolute crap - everythign about it + overpiced
>>
>>965155
The issue is that I don't know the market in Greece and while you should have a similar buying power as my country (Italy) I don't really know what to suggest, lol.

For my bike, without knowing a thing, I went for a used one that looked nice and learned on the way. It's the best bang for buck option for sure, but you gotta learn how to diagnose a broken bike.

You could try looking for 27.5" bikes as they are more versatile and cheaper. Shimano offroad components are Deore or Alivio at least, for SRAM it's X5-X7 or the newer GX. Rear derailleur is very important, so it has to be good - if there's a shit rear derailleur, it's a bad sign.

Should be at least 9 speed in the rear as it's been the standard for so long anything below that will be garbage that has been sitting in a warehouse for years. And will make upgrading to 10 speed easy further on.

>Any suggestions for tires?
For tubes, Continental ProTection tyres. For tubeless, dunno, some Maxxis EXO stuff.
>>
>>965168
Oh and if you want to go used, consider 26" also as it fell out of style but there's no reason not to buy a 26" bike. All 26" components have really fell in price since they're not for the coolest kids on the block anymore.

26" bikes are lighter and very agile and easy to throw around.
>>
>>965113

there should be some kind of second hand market for your country.

I wouldn't buy a bike in this price bracket new.
especially if you are a beginner

get something decent used.

then if you're really into it and outgrown the old one , buy something serious new
>>
>>965490
Yeah, I checked for the best sites and ended up with these two.
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/bicycles/?brakes=3&gears=22-30&hi=1&pg=1&price=20-400&rg=2&sort=dm
http://www.skroutz.gr/c/299/podhlata/f/132450_403207/%CE%A4%CE%B1%CF%87%CF%8D%CF%84%CE%B7%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%82-%CE%94%CE%B9%CF%83%CE%BA%CF%8C%CF%86%CF%81%CE%B5%CE%BD%CE%B1-%CE%A5%CE%B4%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%85%CE%BB%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC.html?keyphrase=%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%B4%CE%B7%CE%BB%CE%B1%CF%84%CE%B1&price_max=400.001

I have picked some filters, so each one has 2 pages results. Any anon is kind enough to tell me if they see a good bike among the ones on the link so I can buy it?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.