[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bike tour thread I am planing on doing a 200km road trip with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: gavere_disc_black_blue_angled.jpg (380 KB, 2046x1690) Image search: [Google]
gavere_disc_black_blue_angled.jpg
380 KB, 2046x1690
Bike tour thread

I am planing on doing a 200km road trip with my bike.
I am driving my bike every day but usually don't go further than 40km.

So I am concerned with with water and food.
Should I eat anything at all, or just fruits?
With the water I am taking about 3L of water, 1L of fruit juice, BCAA and some Boosters (in case I get tired)

Your recommendations?

(pic related)
>>
nobody wants to reply?

just to clarify I am driving 200km on that one day.
>>
Eat 30 bananas and spin your gears at 80 rpm.

Now, seriously, just take your time, it's easy, just eat something 2h before the ride, take some rests, drink something, wait a bit and keep pedaling. Find a comfortable speed for you and calculate the time it will take. I have never ride more than 110km, but I did it without resting and 3 bottles of water averaging 25-27km/h.
>>
>>960304
I am splitting the ride into 3 parts the first 80km should go fine. Then have a 30-60min rest, take the next 40km easy take another long break and do the last 80km.

I did the previous 40km without breaks (exept for hydration) and had no problems, was still loaded with energy.

I am eating a big breakfast and then take fruit juce, fruits and enerybars with me. About at km 100 I am going to visit a tourist attraction where I might eat some salad.
>>
According to the guy in the other thread 200km is like 1/3rd of a day, I wouldn't bother taking anything special except maybe a 750ml water bottle.
>>
>>960282
Bring energy bars and water. If you will be mostly riding in rural areas without access to a sink to refill water, you may want to bring a water filter in case you have to drink from natural sources. I go through substantially more than 3L of water on my 200km+ rides.
>>960314
In my experience, it's easier to do really long rides without any long breaks. When I take a break a long ways into a long ride when I'm tired/cold/etc, then I get chilled and stay just as tired and it's harder to get started again. Maybe it will be different for you, I don't know if the way I am is normal/common. But just something to consider, it might be best to keep your breaks as short as possible. And of course the ride will take a long time, long breaks will really drag it out. I would advise not taking any rests longer than 10 minutes, and just do maybe 4 or 5 10-minute rests throughout the ride. Everyone works different though, that's just the way that works best for me.
>>960324
The 200km=1/3day is a troll post, anon. 200km is a full day.
>>
>>960324
Thats a two bottle trip

Op, 2 bottles, 3 bananas and a can of redbull to chug before the final 15km sprint home and youre fine really.
>>
>>960328
200km is a 6-8 bottle ride. I bring 4 24oz bottles when I ride and I have to refill them during the ride at least once.
>>
>driving my bike
>>
>>960282
Dude no offense but are you trolling for negative attention?

200km is like 125miles no? And you're only riding 25mi a day? You could fucking hike that with a backpack.
>>
>>960282
>Your recommendations?
Yes, one: Unless your 200km trip is at least 3 or 4 months in the future, forget it, you'll die. You can't just 'push through' a complete lack of fitness, when all you can do now is 25 miles and you think somehow you can pull 125 miles out of your ass.
>>
>>960282
while I havent had a chance to go quite that far on a ride I have been putting in some distance lately. Some anon here said to eat a banana every 45minutes so I dont bonk and it works well. So I take 2-3 of those, a protein bar and a couple of the GU energy gels as a backup.. and they seem to taste the best... I go trough 2 bottles of water every 100km or so.
>>
>>960327
>In my experience, it's easier to do really long rides without any long breaks. When I take a break a long ways into a long ride when I'm tired/cold/etc, then I get chilled and stay just as tired and it's harder to get started again. Maybe it will be different for you, I don't know if the way I am is normal/common

no its normal. If I stop for more than a few minutes I just want to take a nap and lose my high.. I end up getting more miles and ride faster with no/minimal breaks... cant say I even like stop lights as I just see it as a energy waster trying to get back up to speed.
>>
>>960369
He said he is doing it all in one day fucktard
>>960410
200km isn't that hard
>>960442
>I go trough 2 bottles of water every 100km or so.
DRINK MORE FUCKING WATER
You should be drinking twice that, anon.
>>
>>960282

I did 100 miles on 6 cliff bars, fruit, bottle of gatorade

stop for water at some point? I think i had ~90oz of water and needed to refill once
>>
>>960448
Yeah still.
>>
>>960282
>Should I eat anything at all, or just fruits?
Plan your tour so you can have a real lunch in the middle and to refill your water bottles. if you're riding in hot climate you'll probably need more than 4 liters.
>>
Do you guys think that an old steel 10 speed with some slightly knobby tires and a rack/bag setup would be good for touring? I'd like to get into that kind of stuff next spring, since i think i wont be so busy with classes by then
>>
>>960567
Get ready for wild mashing up steep climbs
>>
>>960567
Get a compact chainring and a larger cassette and you can make do. Also get a front rack as well as a rear one to balance the weight.
>>
>>960448
>DRINK MORE FUCKING WATER
>You should be drinking twice that, anon.
Not him, but I also drink a little, the most I drink is like 3 bottles on a 100km ride with hot weather, f the weather is nice and cold I could drink half of that. One friend of mine says I'm a fucking camel, once he drank 2 bottles + water on a fountain and I only drank 0,5 bottles.
>>
Op here returned from the trip.
In the end I did 170km (canged the route and took a shortcut.

But it was babaric, i had to climb up a 550m mountain (in 6km) on the one route, on the way back it was a rolercoaster, going up and down, the navigation system said I had to climb 641m in total.
The rest of the trip was beautifull.
Next time I will plan my route more carfully.
>>
>>960567
Use semislicks, not "slightly knobby tires" (unless that's what you meant). Other than that, yeah, it would work fine as long as it's tuned up and reliable. Make sure to check it over well before your tour, bring spare parts and all the tools you may need, and set it up with a relaxed fit. Even if the fit you have now is comfortable, for a long tour you'll likely want the bars higher.
>>960752
Well done, anon!~
>>
>>960752
To add
I used up 6L on this trip (about 8 x750ml bottles) most of it on the climbing parts.
I had just 1 large break for 60min, the rest were less than 10min
>>
You could do 200km in one day if you really wanted to.
>>
>>960766
200k isn't much for a single day. Up to 400k is common for randonneurs, and even up to 600k in one go (no sleep breaks) isn't unheard of, though the latter would generally take over 24 hours.
>>
>>960624
How much water in each bottle? Was it flat? How hot is hot?
>>
>>960448
>DRINK MORE FUCKING WATER
>You should be drinking twice that, anon.

I am the guy you were replying to. I chug about half to 3/4 a bottle before I leave and when I return I chug a 20oz gatorade. I sometimes weigh myself before and after a ride. Even with eating and drinking I can lose 3-5 lbs of water weight in 4-5 hours. I am sure as it gets warmer I will start drinking more and actually stopping from time to time to refill.
>>
File: image.jpg (419 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
419 KB, 1920x1200
Op here, got a question.
Its the next morning and I dont have sore muscle, But the hamstrings hurt. Not bad but notacible.
Is that normal?
>>
>>960941
Dont know if hamstrings is the correct word.
Its the tendons on the front of the knee
>>
>>960942
Hammy are on the back of the thigh. The front it's the quads, and yes that it's normal to some degree. Stretch more and also mid ride.
>>
>>960968
Also if your tendons are hurting check your seat position, probably to low. On the inside of the knees means you are probably duck toed on the pedals a little bit.. So only using your inside quad muscles. Straighten your feet out and you will feel it mote mid thigh and save your mcl tendon.
>>
I can't even ride 200km in a week. 45km is the most I've ridden In one ride (not on flat, I like to visit a few climbs on my ride) and I'm pretty exhausted after that.
>>
>>960980
>>>/blogspot/
>>
isn't touring usually implying a multiple day trip? i think that's just a really long ride.

i'm about to do my first real 'touring ride' next week. not having to worry about turning around and heading home is one thing i'm looking forward to.
>>
>>961009
I'd like to do something like that, maybe bring a small tent, and whatnot. Ride up into the mountains for a good 60-80 miles, campout for the night hit a new spot the next night ect. and a week later finally make it home.
>>
>>960969
>On the inside of the knees means you are probably duck toed on the pedals a little bit
Ok, this could be it.
I will pay attention next time, or buy myself a pair of these circling shoes
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.