[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
remove only rear derailleur
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12
is it practicable to only remove your rear derailleur and to keep the front one with for example three chainrings? I've been searching for a while now but havent found any infos about it.
>>
It's completely retarded, that's why. You'll get much more range and usefulness out of a single ring up front and a rear cog.
>>
>>959265
How will you tension the chain without rear derailleur ?
>>
>>959266
>cog
arrr fuck my mind, CASSETTE.
>>
File: 009_gimp.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
009_gimp.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
It can be done, but you'll need a chain tensioner. Pretty silly.
>>
>>959267
>How will you tension the chain without rear derailleur ?
>>959173
>>
>>959265
Why not remove the derailleur without a built-in chain tensioner, less range and bigger skips between gears?
>>
>>959279
I come to post here the same shitty solution you showed.

It's not that shitty as you see. You just have to constraint the side movement using the screws, in order to allow only the extension or contraction of the rear derailleur. It will act as a tensioner... a cheap one. Maybe a cheap road rear derailleur it's too short to achieve this, but i'm pretty sure that a cheap mtb rear derailleur will do this very well.

>>959265 (OP)
Yes, it can be done cheapely, but i've seen that scheme only in 2 speed road chainring. i've never seen that in 3 speed mtb chainring... i'm pretty sure that the chain wouldn't operate well in the last config.

Reasons for this?

Probably op lives in a very flat place and he doesnt want to make complicated a bike which can be simpler. He probably needs only two speeds: one to start from full stopped condition and the second for go faster after the initial start.

http://saddleupbike.blogspot.cl/2010/11/two-speed-bicycle.html
>>
File: 3-speed-hub-sturmey-archer.jpg (151 KB, 2350x1439) Image search: [Google]
3-speed-hub-sturmey-archer.jpg
151 KB, 2350x1439
>>959265
>>
File: Schwinn Tango 5.jpg (957 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
Schwinn Tango 5.jpg
957 KB, 1632x1224
>>959308
Get on my level.
>>
File: 12433423.jpg (175 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
12433423.jpg
175 KB, 640x640
>>959332
Same to you.
>Inb4 Rohloff

I suppose only having shifting up front makes a little bit of sense if for some reason you only want 2 or 3 speeds (weight maybe, or a specific single speed wheel you want to use) but want more range than you'd get from a 2/3 speed cassette. For example if you're mostly fine with a single speed but then there's one hill on the way home that would benefit from a lower gear. Maybe cost could also be a factor.

If you're fine with more speeds however a cassette will give you greater range, smaller jumps, and generally ride better.
>>
>>959265
onoda pls go
>>
File: duomatic.jpg (20 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
duomatic.jpg
20 KB, 440x330
>>959308
>>
File: pinion-p1-18.png (399 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
pinion-p1-18.png
399 KB, 1024x576
>>959308
>>
remove kebab
>>
>>960174
Do you actually own a Pinion frame? I think at least one person on here does. If so how are you liking it?

I'd love to get one some day but that prices would have to drop a lot. Not saying they're not worth it, I just don't want to spend that much on a bike.
>>
>>960251
I have ~10k km on it and it works flawlessly. When new, it leaked a bit oil on the chainring side but the sealing was changed and now it is bone-dry. I usually use gears 8-14 (flat all around). The really nice thing is that you have lots of lower gears to choose from when you need them. Gear ratio ranges from 1.4 (1st gear) to 8.9 (18th gear). Steps between gears are quite small, so I usually shift up or down 2 or 3 gears at once. When in hilly or mountainous regions it is nice to have the small steps. Shifting is a no-brainer with crisp indexing.
Best thing about it is almost zero maintenance.
Only thing is the twist grip, which can be slippy when wet.

Yes, it's expensive but it's my commuter so I save on the car/gas/tax. Company guarantees 60.000km but that should be very conservative. The gearwheels are produced on car manufacturer's production lines (filling idling times) with very high quality standards. iirc Rohloff started with a 60.000km guarantee as well, but there are lots of hubs that have done much more than 100.000km.

Some argue you save on chainwheels/chains and cassettes. Maybe, I never did the math. I just thought it is a nice piece of engineering and I do like stuff that works.
>>
>>960283
Addition: You won't see a drop in prices. It's a high-end product with relatively small production numbers and, like Rohloff, they keep their hands on their product.
Rohloff has been on the market for 17 years and the price is practically stagnant (1.500 Mark in 1999 which is ~1000€ today accounting for inflation).
>>
>>960283
I wouldn't be surprised if it did work out cheaper in the long term, it's just the larger initial payment that puts me off (I only work part time so it'd mean saving up for quite a while).

Mind posting your bike, and have you weighed it? I've got an Alfine 11 on my current commuter and have had another on a few mountain bikes, not massively heavier than a derailer setup but it is all at the back instead of being centred like a Pinion.

>>960285
I dunno, it's a bit different to Rohloffs as it's built into a frame. Over time frames will advance a bit what with new standards and tech, and if they ever bring out newer gearboxes, which might bring down the prices of older models.
>>
File: pini.jpg (2 MB, 2736x1824) Image search: [Google]
pini.jpg
2 MB, 2736x1824
>>960291
Here it is.

Yeah, it's built into the frame but I wouldn't expect any other product with the same specs to enter the market soon.
It took Shimano 16 years to introduce a mass-produced product (Alfine 11) that comes close to the Rohloff but has neither the quality nor the specs of the Rohloff.

I think, like Rohloff, Pinion will not target the mass-market but stay in a comfy high-price/high-end section of the market.

Pinion also produces gearboxes with 12 and 9 gears (600% / 568% gear ratio). They are cheaper and lighter (the P1.9 ~500€ cheaper and 500gr. lighter).
>>
>>960301
Addition: I have no idea what it weighs. It's heavy but since it is flat here, I don't really care.

I also use it for touring but never do extreme climbs, so it's really the right bike for me.
>>
>>960301
I remember that bike, DIY chain case right? IS it belt or chain?

I'm not expecting Pinion to go low end, just over time some of the frames will become outdated. I've got no problem with using old tech, I still ride 26", use 135mm hubs, BSA bottom brackets, external headsets, etc. I'd imagine a fair amount of Pinion owners are the type that need to have the latest and greatest tech so I'm hoping one day I'll catch a good deal when someone sells there's to replace it with something newer.
>>
>>960316
Yea, it`s the one. I opted for chain, because belt has a little more losses and I thought that I already have a part that I can`t really repair myself so that I went for the old-fashioned chain. Can`t say I miss anything, since it holds up well inside the chain case.

I hope you will get your hands on a second hand Pinion. Have you ridden one already?
>>
>>960322
>Have you ridden one already?
Unfortunately not, never even seen one in person. I'd imagine it rides similar to other IGHs (which I'm a huge fan of), just with better weight balance and significantly more gears. Also I'm guessing there's less play as you go to pedal (dependant on freewheel/freehub choice) where as the Alfine has a roller clutch that needs to engage.
>>
Here is a 1982 Huffy 2 speed Pro Thunder Z2

Front derailleur only
>>
>>959265
>>
Ayy
>>
>>960438

one day I will have one of these
>>
>>960438
If these had three speeds I'd definitely try it out. There was some crowd sourced three speed crankset a while ago, dunno if it went anywhere.
>>
>>960435
What the fuck is going on here?
>>
No. But watch yowamushi pedal
>>
>>961088
looks like at first the chain got off the gears but after putting it back on it snapped off shortly after.
>>
>>960423
You say that but there's clearly a rear derailleur there to keep tension
>>
>>961150
>No. But watch yowamushi pedal
>>960100
>onoda

Damn. I had never thought about Onada's chain tension.
>>
>>963543
That is what happens if your chain jams into something in the cassette and you keep pedalling. The torque forces the derailleur around and snaps the hanger and then it goes further around.

I've done it once, my chain jammed at some lights because the RD was badly adjusted and it shifted off the cassette. I got pissed and stomped on the pedal to try and force it back on or something, I wasn't thinking.
>>
>>963549
It's not a derailer, it's a tensioner. It keeps the chain tight, it doesn't derail it.
>>
>>960435
>that guy who gets a free bike
>>
>>963549
>there's clearly a rear derailleur there to keep tension

Do I need to explain to you what a derailleur does? Because that cahin tensioner isn't going to derail shit
>>
>>959308
The AW is a magical hub. They're ridiculously cheap used as well as being reliable and efficient.

Having a single planetary is the way to go. All the other planetary hubs are meme hubs, way to inefficient to actually be useful.

The only downside is that most are heavy steel.
>>
File: sdfs.jpg (82 KB, 736x551) Image search: [Google]
sdfs.jpg
82 KB, 736x551
>>965589
> not useful

wat
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.