[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What lock should I be looking for to attach my bicycle to a pole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12
File: 9200000020919139.jpg (18 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
9200000020919139.jpg
18 KB, 550x550
What lock should I be looking for to attach my bicycle to a pole or something?

I've already got a thick cable lock to fasten my front wheel to my frame.

Found pic related for like 40$ but it doesn't come with anything to attach it to your bike while riding, also seems small to me.

Thoughts?
>>
>>
You're looking at the right stuff. Smaller is more theft proof and better actually. Those frame mounts are usually shitty though. Get a trunk bag for it, handy af anyways.
>>
File: 1447972851223.png (114 KB, 347x344) Image search: [Google]
1447972851223.png
114 KB, 347x344
>cuts body weight
>cuts grams from bike
>adds kilos in chains and locks
>>
>>959379
yeah, sure
stolen bike is the lightest one m'kay
>>
>>959385
Stolen bike makes my wallet several £ lighter
>>
File: bordolite6050-l4.jpg (121 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
bordolite6050-l4.jpg
121 KB, 640x400
http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Folding-locks/Bordo-Lite-6050

>pic related
Worth the investment. Mountable on the waterbottle cage. The 'lite' version is relatively cheap.
>>
>>959191
http://www.amazon.com/Abus-Bordo-Ecolution-Bicycle-Folding/dp/B00A0NFHJG
>>
>>959191
jam it down your shorts/in your rear pocket/between your belt and pants
>>
>>959485
>>959491
Those look flimsy as fuck.
>>
Abus, OnGuard or Kryptonite u-lock.
>>
>>959511
the lite one is shit. literally made from plastic mixed with some metal wires

the actual 5700 or 6000 are solid steel and pretty durable. its about as good as a ulock in the similar price range
>>
>>959191
that abus 140 is actually your best bang for your buck.
locks on both sides of the shackle, 13mm bar, multiple, square profile keys, beefy as fuck, but not extra heavy like the fahgeddaboutits are, smaller is less priable. Mine's taken several falls and been ran over by a car, still kicking.

either tuck it into your waist/belt or get a bag.

I recommend getting the flimsy abus combo chainlock too, for back up, or for locking up with friends. cables can be cut with garden sheers.
>>
>>959511
They're not. The Ecolution (which I have) is a great lock. They've been tested and are as hard to break as u-locks and chain locks, plus thieves are already used to breaking u-locks and chain locks, they have the tools and experience and knowledge. They encounter an unusual folding lock and they don't know what the fuck to do so they move on.
>>
>>960876
"Oh fuck, it's not U shaped! Welp, let's just apply pressure with these bolt cutters."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opjDdMkpjXQ
>>
Look up the forever lock.
>>
I'm going to need a lock that won't get damaged by constant exposure to snow and ice, to lock up my fatbike. Any suggestions?
>>
>>959191

keep a stable full of cheap shit bikes you expect to get stolen and a ulock for each

nothing else works short of bringing your bike inside with you

a bike thief can and will steal your bike right in front of people
>>
>>962738
use the usual quality locks and take time to give the locking mechanism a lubing once in awhile
>>
Y'all negros need the forever lock

https://youtu.be/OLsJDELd4lo
>>
File: ugrip.jpg (64 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
ugrip.jpg
64 KB, 886x886
got bike from friend 60€ after my bike was stolen. got pic related 80€. let bike at subwaystation for a week
>>???
>>profit
>>
>>959191
I got my bianchi bike stolen and only got half the value back through my insurance. Now i use a 14mm u-lock and a 12mm locking chain both specially hardened and approved by my insurance company for full value back.

Since i mostly only lock my bike up for longer periods in 3 places i have locked one 14mm u-lock and one 12mm locking chain at all three places so i do not have carry 4kg extra weight around.
>>
http://www.westechrigging.com/chain-security-chain-pewag-7-16--security-chain-kits---viro-padlocks.html

i live in NYC had my 1500 electric bike stolen when i went in for a slice of pizza for 15 mins i had it locked with an onguard ulock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsg7_Fjjbcg
>>
>>959191

I use a few different locks at the same time. It won't stop someone from getting my bike if they really want it, but it'll slow them down a little at least.

I have a long U lock going through frame and rear wheel to a post or something, long cable through errything with an abloy lock, and then another U lock through frame and front wheel with cable to post or whatever.

A while back I found that someone busted the U lock to the frame, and took off at some point while trying to cut the abloy. Another time I did the same, only to find that someone had actually cut a tree down to get my bike.
>>
>>963458
Busted open with a piece of foil. $140.00 meme lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHjW3ZbCT8
>>
>>963516
I use your setup + the addition of another U lock and a 10mm cable through the saddle rails. I live in an very high petty crime ridden city, so carrying 5kg of steel in my back pack is the cross I bear. Though if I know I'll be heading to a place like work or school or whatever, I'll leave most of the locking mechanisms there. Fuck people taking things that are not theirs.

>>963808
Dude, that's crazy. What was the diameter of the poor tree?
>>
>>963712
...btw, you can buy the chain by the foot for around $15.00 as opposed to buying the chain plus that Vero lock in your pic.

I think I may order about 5ft or 6ft of this stuff.
>>
>>963829

Probably about 10 inches. I'm pretty sure they used a battery powered reciprocating saw and quartered it in a couple passes judging by how the cut looked. I'm sure they could have just cut the locks easily, but it was easier to just hit the tree instead of worrying about cutting the frame I guess.

Given how cheap good portable power tools and saw blades are these days, the idea that any lock is going to do much to slow down someone more intelligent than the average crackhead is a joke.
>>
Anyone have an opinion on pic related?

Is it just another kickstarter meme lock?
>>
>>964190
>Not drilled for a rear brake or fender
>Eyelets for a rear rack
Definitely a meme lock
>>
File: makitodou.jpg (226 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
makitodou.jpg
226 KB, 900x600
>>964202
>meme lock

Oh you.

You're a climber aren't you.
>>
if you just have a beater frame (so scuff marks dont matter) how viable is just a chain/padlock combo from a hardware store?

Similar to what JGL had in premium rush, i know it's a goofy movie but it seems like a convenient lock
>>
>>964243
>but it seems like a convenient lock
Chain is pretty easily cut with bolt cutters but will stand up to about anything else. A dremel will cut through most padlocks in about 30 seconds but you have to fuck around with cutting discs and shit so it's probably not standard junky gear.

Good enough for a beater and it will keep kids and most junkies off it but it won't stop anyone who steals bikes all day.

Better than gift ribbons though and you can beat people with it as a bonus.
>>
>>964243
Just get a goddamn ulock and stick it in your belt loop, why are people always looking for alternatives to the most obvious answer?
>>
File: DlockJustice.jpg (246 KB, 1128x1500) Image search: [Google]
DlockJustice.jpg
246 KB, 1128x1500
>>964257
I forgot pic
>>
>>964260
Don't impersonate me you filthy hipster
>>
>>964263
>impersonate me
I was using 'Anonymous' before you, you name stealing meme locker.
>>
>>964190
I feel like we moved away from whether the litelock is worthwhile or just another meme lock
>>
>>964438

It's shit.
>>
good video on bike theft, basically its impossible to stop bike theft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdugFzCi24
>>
I have a giant ass fuckoff chain and and American Lock Company Series 700. Assuming I don't have a problem with it being heavy, is it worse than a U-lock?
>>
>>964522

>is it worse

no.

>is it better

no.

People really need to stop obsessing over which lock is 'the best' because it's ridiculously easy to break them, regardless of design. And if the lock is too much of a pain, they can just cut the damn bike in half and sell the parts.
>>
>thieves in these threads telling bikers to buy the worst locks
>>
File: 61ZeRXLZMML._SL1200_.jpg (63 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
61ZeRXLZMML._SL1200_.jpg
63 KB, 1200x1200
I use the smallest kryptonite lock (mini 5) like based sheldon recommends. he says you can get away with just locking the rear wheel inside the rear triangle but I typically do top tube/seat stay area.

then again I'm not in an high theft area like NYC and I take my bike inside if it would be on the street for more than a few hours. what I focus on are deterrents, like track nuts on the axles instead of quick releases and leaving no accessories on the bike.

anyone ever tried one of these, though? you can't put it in a back pocket like the mini 5 and idk what the point of locking the rear wheel is

>bonus vid of rear wheel getting btfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9fLtdZyX-A
>>
>>959485

I've got a bordo granit xplus. Pretty burly lock, use it to lock front wheel/frame, and a small u-lock on the rear wheel Sheldon-style. The u-lock is a double-cut so it would take about 7 mins with a grinder to steal the bike.

Fuckin heavy though.
>>
The main thing to look for in a u-lock is that both pins lock, so you have to cut it twice. A good secondary lock is a knog straight-jacket chain, the big one is nearly impossible to cut with bolt-cutters. Maybe the hugest cutters can do it, but it is a secondary lock.
>>
File: 20160604_104525.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160604_104525.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
OC lock fail
>>
>>964235
holy shit i just realized their eyes are drawn on their eyelids
>>
>>964548
>idk what the point of locking the rear wheel is
So they don't steal your rear wheel, duh
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC3hFr8p2ck
>>
>>959192
>ABUS Granit X-Plus 540 U-Lock

First post
Best post
>>
>>959191
nice lock
>>
>>959191
Trust a name brand and spend the money.
>>
>>964548
>locking rear wheel

It's St. Sheldon's Holy Method

www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
>>
>>959191
I own ecactly this one - Abus Mini.

For this amount of money it is the best one you can get, really secure, 2 shackle locking, compact, robust and rubberized.

You can make a diy holder for it from PVC pipe and some hose clamps but I just have it locked around my stem with twisted cable tensioning it..
>>
>>959192
have this lock. pretty based although I never heard of the brand when I bought it
>>
>>968591
and then they cut through your wheel and steel your bike.
>>
>>968998
It's a German brand. Pretty much the gold standard for bicycle locks here in Europe.
>>
File: Untitled.png (471 KB, 825x647) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
471 KB, 825x647
This is what I use.
>>
>>969027
Yeah, all those bike thieves who head out with a sawzall to steal unrideable bikes.
>>
>>969198
youre not a messenger are u
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.