[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you recommend hubs for a road bike? Not Chris King-type of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Record Hubs.jpg (23 KB, 579x500) Image search: [Google]
Record Hubs.jpg
23 KB, 579x500
Can you recommend hubs for a road bike? Not Chris King-type of overpriced, but good quality, smooth and preferably quiet.
>>
>>959024
Ultegra
Should be some nice sales next weekend (Memorial Day).
>>
I'm seriously confused and have no clue what to buy. What is 'good'? What is just marketing? What is a reasonable price? It's not easy to pick a hub set when every manufacturer has like 3 different models on the market.
>>
>>959033
>>959024
These days there's not a whole lot of difference between road hubs, unless you buy really cheap Chinese stuff you'll be getting good bearings/cartridge bearings, the advantage to the fancier hubs is marginal weight savings.

Shimano hubs are always a reasonable default choice.
>>
What's a good hi-lo hub. Not hi on disc side, but hi on drive side.
>>
>>959029
This. Can't hardly go wrong on those.
>>
gokiso super climber
>>
BikeHubStore

Best bang for the buck I've found, anywhere.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL210-p/sl210.htm
http://www.bikehubstore.com/SL71W-p/slf71w.htm
>>
Hügi
>>
I'm going to build a frame up for touring. I have two Shimano XT hubs from 1994. If I clean them up and degrease them or what ever, will they be as good as a new hub?
>>
>>959227
no, but they'll be good
>>
>>959227
Open them up, clean out the out grease, and look at the surfaces of the cones and races - if there's no pitting then yes, they'll work perfectly.
>>
>>959227
Weren't those entry level back then and unsealed?
>>
Have a new deore XT. Do I need to take it apart and grease it?
>>
>>959255
Why do you even exist

>>959227
1994 was the first year for M737 Deore XT; a real quality groupset. Great hubs. If the cones and races are in good shape, yeah, just grease 'em up and go. They'll be good for another 20 years if you take care of them.
>>
>>959309
No, if it's new, it should come with factory grease.
Best to leave it sealed to prevent dirt/dust from getting in until you feel or hear anything unusual.
>>
>>959309
No, but double-check the bearing pretension.
>>
Shimano's might have good bearings but their freehubs are absolute shit. Sure they might work without failure for 5 years or they seize up on you at the absolute worst time.

With even cheap chinese hubs you can take the freehub off and you might have a slim chance or fixing it if it were to fail. If your Shimano freehub fails there's nothing you can do till you hit a bike shop.
>>
File: IMG_20160524_135327213.jpg (1 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160524_135327213.jpg
1 MB, 1944x2592
>>959315
Thank you very much, that's what they are.
>>
Hope or Novatec. Only cause I'm biased to sealed-bearing hubs due to temperate/subtropical climate, which often isn't kind to Shimano hubs.
>>
>>959478
10mm allen key and replace it?
am I missing something here?
>>
>>959094
I have these on a wheelset and they are fantastic. Perhaps I expected less from them because they are affordable and lightweight, but they have been as good as anything else I've ridden.
>>
>>959478
I'm not sure which part of the freehub you think is shoddy but I've never had one "seize up" on me. Also, and notably, Shimano uses durable steel freehub bodies instead of aluminum alloy. That means no gouging and much less frequent replacement.
>>
Anyone owns Ambrosio Zenith hubs? I know they are relabelled Novatecs or whatever. I'd just like to have some opinion on them. It's hard to get classic looking silver hubs these days without paying a fortune for loud as fuck shit hubs.
>>
>>959255
pls gb2 fa

>>959227
if they are pitted or unsmooth, there's some dark magic way of using lapping fluid in with a sacrificial pair of ball bearings to resurface the cups and cones.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.