[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stuff i need for a bike at longer rides
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: flattire-ebike.jpg (195 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
flattire-ebike.jpg
195 KB, 1024x768
Basicly i cant always take the train to the next city(living in a village duh) but i need the tuition for math there.
So i want to use my bike for it, its 45 km, i already have done this a couple of times(obv. i do this only if the weather is okay).
But i always fear that on my way something could happen and i am screwed.
What should i take with me? Does it happen often that the chain breaks?
>>
Tire levers, spare tube, patch kit (in case more than one flat), pump, chain breaker, quick link (easier than pushing a pin back in), hex tool. Possibly also a small screwdriver if you have v-brakes and need to make an adjustment to make pads stop rubbing on one side.

Chains don't break often, usually when shifting under load.
>>
>>954599
Pretty much this. Spare tube, patch kit, a couple quicklinks and a chain tool, and a GOOD multitool. Don't get a cheap one that will fall apart, invest in a good quality, complete multitool.
>>
>>954596
Number one way to avoid popped tires: keep your tires pumped to the upper range of their psi at all tmes
>>
The only mechanical problems i'm worried about on rides is punctures. Consequently, the only tools i carry is a patch kit, 15 mm spanner and a pump.
>>
I carry in a saddlebag
2 tubes
patch kit with levers
higher end multi-tool that has a chain breaker
a 10mm allen key - this one actually saved my ass once
small pump
a presta to shrader valve adapter

I had cheap stuff in the past and it all worked just fine for years. I had a bell multi tool from walmart that worked just fine for literally 5 years. I have upgraded my tools only because I can afford it and it saves space and weight.
>>
>>954626
oh and sunscreen and a few zipties
>>
>>954627
THIS.

Zipties take up practically no space and can help you with some roadside bodges. I carry a few of them in my saddlebag.
>>
A water bottle.
>>
>>954630
I used to keep them in my bag just to ziptie my cheap pump to the handle bars after use. I have also used them to sew a saddlebag back together that got torn in a crash and I lost a screw to my chainring and used it there.. granted I dont think anything would have happened but I could feel it flexing.
>>
>>954596
>Does it happen often that the chain breaks?
Not really, but often enough you should be prepared for it.

>What should i take with me?
Absolute necessities:
>Lock+key
>Lights
>Multitool with chain breaker (I highly recommend Crank Bros M17 or M19)
>Adjustable wrench (you may not need it depending on your bike, but if your wheels are bolt on, you'll need it to remove a wheel to fix a flat)
>Portable pump (I recommend Topeak Turbo Morph; big for a portable pump, but works great; make sure to test-use whatever pump you get before you need it, some are shit and don't work)
>3 plastic tire levers
>Spare tubes (patches are nice, but won't work if you have major damage such as a blowout)

Optional things to bring:
>Water and energy bars
>Phone and money in case you run into a severe mechanical issue and need a ride
>Patch kit (not a substitute for spare tubes, but an option for minor damage; also good to have in case you get multiple flats and run out of spare tubes)
>Tire boots
>Spare rim strip
>Master link (you can fix a broken chain without one, but it's better if you have one)
>Zip ties (in case something breaks and you need to tie stuff together/out of the way)
>>
File: scan0121.jpg (165 KB, 694x1023) Image search: [Google]
scan0121.jpg
165 KB, 694x1023
You cunts are dumb if you only resort to patches once your spare tubes run out. You're wasting tubes and setting yourself up for a puncture you can't repair. If it's patchable, patch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTyyhQeBCw
>>
>>954649
OMFG. Better have panniers, a med kit, extra clothes, kitchen sink.
>>
File: why.gif (493 KB, 500x357) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
493 KB, 500x357
>buy brand new touring tires
>having a great week
>too busy getting loaded, partying, and fucking this new girl i've been seeing to attend to maintenance
>normally super neurotic about keeping my bike running
>front calliper develops some play
>put off fixing it for 3 days
>pad completely ruins brand new tire
>>
>>954655

What happened in that photo, did the guy die?
>>
>>954706
it was extremely painful
>>
>>954649
>Water is optional
???
>>
>>954730
for him
>>
>>954681
So what you are saying it's you are too stupid to spend 30 seconds to fix a brake pad from rubbing your tire
>>
Get puncture proof tyres.
>>
File: sc1[1].jpg (67 KB, 1024x550) Image search: [Google]
sc1[1].jpg
67 KB, 1024x550
>>954596
>But i always fear that on my way something could happen and i am screwed.

Oh boy do I have a treat for you!

When equipping your bike with Schwalbe's professional bike tires that chances of ANYTHING going wrong will be literally 0%!
Chains wont break,handlebars wont come loose,squeaks wont appear and It can even reduce the chance of punctures by 100%!

Schwalbe - Never ride 2nd class.
>>
>>954765
uhm. i already have my road bike, its fine actually, but the tyres are very thin.
>>
So basicly
(water, how much depends on weather)
(lock i already have, also a good one)
spare tube
multitool
patches
a small pump.
i dont need a wrench since my bike has quick release, no?
in germany i always have to lights on my bike, or carry them with me(even at 2 pm midday sunshine)
>>
>>954863
Sounds good.
>>
>>954655
A tube costs the same as a patch kit, which is like $3, and the glue in the kit dries out once you unseal the tub. Whichever you use you need to buy a replacement unless you get punctures like every two weeks.
>>
>>954863
If you're skipping chain tools, at least take a quick link with you, it's tiny and weighs nothing. You could probably hammer out the pin out of a broken chain with a rock and the thin allen wrench on your multitool, but you need something to join it back together.
>>
>>954885
no joke, here in colorado we have these little goatheads and tiny little thorns all over the fucking place.. you can plan a flat once a month if you stay on the pavement all the time and if you go off road on some light trail you can almost guarantee a flat within a day. I switched to using liners and slime with my decent tires, as suggested by some anon here, and have gone about a 6 months now without a flat.
>>
>>954885
I bought a pack of 100 Rema patches online and a big tube of rubber cement from Walmart. I do my patching at home with that stuff and try to avoid opening my little tubes of rubber cement. I bought a lot of 10 little tubes of cement online for a decent price so I can refresh my patch kit as necessary.
>>
>>954765
Well, this actually. Not that particular tire, but with Marathon Plus or similar puncture resistant tires flats are not really a thing. Add a geared hub and a fairly durable chain / belt and the risk of failure is small enough to ignore. Back in the day cars and motorcycles came with fairly complete branded tool kits for messing with the carbs and plugs, changing tires, ect, in the breakdown lane. Aside from the mandated doughnut, they have moved beyond that and just use a cellphone and AMA in the unlikely event.
>>
>>954885
This is SO not true where i live. A tube is like 4 times the cost of a patch kit, and the patch kit lasts for several punctures.
>>
>>954970

I get a jar of Elmers rubber cement from the art store. It's like $5 for 8 fluid oz. Last around 5 years. Then I use old tubes and cut them up into patches. I'll patch a tube 5 or more times before I turn it into patches itself. I use $15-$25 latex tubes. The ones with the replaceable valvecore So I can swap them out if the valve fucks up. Patchkits are a ripoff.
>>
>>954655
I carry extra tubes, and when I'm at home, I patch them to carry them other day. I use each tube 4-5 times.
>>
>>954943

Marathon Plus punctures just like any other tire. Maybe a little less often, but still. And the rest of the time they're heavy and dull to tide. 2/10 will never buy again.
>>
>>955017
>4-5 times
Christ.
>>
>>955046

Why? No reason not to use tubes as long as reasonably possible.
>>
File: Faster Than Patching.jpg (85 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Faster Than Patching.jpg
85 KB, 500x500
>>955040
>2/10
Ya all true. If you totally run over a nail and it pokes right in it is not one of those foam-filled run-flat things and will deflate and leave you stranded, without a patch kit. Heavy cannot be denied, but dull ride is ok on the rear. But they are pretty much immune to goat heads, glass, tacks, ill-wishes, sharp stones, and everything else that kills regular tires. Reliability requires compromise like any other trait.
>>
get a car you fucking loser
>>
>>955068
>willfully subjecting yourself to marathons
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.