[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets start an /n/ Minneapolis cycling team.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 25
File: Minneapolis.png (3 MB, 1600x1032) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis.png
3 MB, 1600x1032
Lets start an /n/ Minneapolis cycling team.
>>
Anyone gonna do the mn state championship TT race?
>>
Minneapolis is such a sexy city. Why does it have to be surrounded by a bunch of liberals ;~;
>>
>>952198
>Implying it's not a beautiful city because of the liberals
Funding parks, transit, arts, etc aren't strong suits of the conservatives.
>>
>>952187
Are you?
>>952198
>>952205
>buying into the liberal vs conservative meme
>>
>>952225
Yeah I am
>>
>>952232
Guy with 9 trains?
>>
>>952236
No?
>>
>>951769
If people do decide to start a Minneapolis team you should start fights with the Black Label Bike Club fuckers. I'm just imagining a bunch of lycra fucks pushing over their tall bikes and brawling in the street.

Call yourselves the Pish Posh Squad.
>>
I miss Minneapolis, moved away last summer, already plotting how to move back.
>>
>>952548
Same here. I moved to Utah to ski, lived in Utah for a year and a half. Then moved back to Minnesota. Now I'm back and forth. Spend ski season in Utah, rest of the year in Minnesota.
Where do you live now? Is it mainly cycling that draws you to Minneapolis?
>>
>>952552
I moved to Kansas for a promotion. I didn't cycle much in Mpls, just around the lake, to the bar, etc. Wasn't hardcore into it, but I miss the lakes, the transit, and yes even the snow.
>>
>>952560
Move back, anon! Better to be where you love and do what you love than focus your life on money. Fuck living for money. Live for adventure.
>>
>>952561
I did want to live in another part of the country and experience something other than Mpls before I was tied down with a family/house/etc. Underestimated how much I would miss it.
>>
File: 023.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Yes! If not arace team, a cycle squad of some sort.
>>
File: 001.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>952583
Gonna do a dump of pics taken while pedaling around mpls/StP
>>
File: 013.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>952585
>>
File: image_87.jpg (25 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image_87.jpg
25 KB, 480x480
I live in Chaska during the summer
>reporting for duty lad
>>
Hoping some of you guys can give me advice.

I live in McLeod Country, about 100km west of Minneapolis. I am a pretty serious cyclist (riding 1k-2k km/month during summer) but have never raced. I now have a GOTTA GO FAST bike (Madone 5.9) and am pretty serious about getting into racing this year. I am mostly just interested in mass start road races (not crits, sprints, etc, at least not my first year).
I have never ridden in a peloton before, so obviously I need some experience with that before I start racing. I want to start doing group rides with semi-serious cyclists/racers to get the experience I need to start racing. So probably with cat 5 level cyclists (or cat4? at least later this summer when I get faster).
Preferably a group that does rides the same day every week to work out with my work schedule. Close to home is nice but in the Twin Cities is fine, especially Minneapolis or the west/southwest suburbs. Preferably late morning/early afternoon rides.
Any suggestions on what group I should ride with?
Thanks!
>>
File: 1.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>952583
>>952585
>>952586
Those are great pics, anon! Did you take them? I'm not much into photography, but I love pictures of Minneapolis/St Paul, and I love taking pictures of my bikes throughout my rides.

Forgive the non-driveside pic.
>>
File: 5.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1500
>>952754
And a driveside pic. Last pic is from North Minneapolis, this one is from a rural stretch of the Luce Line.
>>
>>952753
Hmmm. Wednesday Night Worlds is probably still a bit too fast for you, but you never know.

Check with bike shops like Freewheel, Penn, Hollywood, etc. They will have rides. If they don't have rides for you, they can certainly help point you in the right direction.

Group rides will help immensely. Good luck.
>>
>>952810
Thanks!
>Wednesday Night Worlds
Do you ride with them? Do you know what pace they average? Even if they're too fast for me at first, I may well want to switch to a faster group than whatever I start with after a few months.
>>
>>952846
I've ridden with them before. I don't live in the cities either (Rochester) but they usually average over 20 for 2 hours at least. It's a hard ride too, it's usually not flat and they do "KOM" and "sprint" points. If you want to do it, go for it!
>>
U of M transitway is a dream to ride on. Makes my commute 14% better.
>>
>>952754
Yea man. I love finding cool angles of the city while riding and discovering trails.
>>
>>952911
Word, I take it from energy park drive to the dinkyown greenway daily. super fast. Plus i get to racck up those ZAP points and a wuick stop at surly on the way home. life is good
>>
>>952757
Great pics senpai
>>
>>951769

Jason?
a
s
o
n
?
>>
Let's do a group /n/ ride later this month. I'm out of state now but will be back in MN in a week. How about the 21st? We could meet up and do the Grand Rounds or something, maybe combine that with the Mississippi River trails to downtown St Paul and back, and the Cedar Lake trails. That would end up being like 100-150km.
>>
>>952937
No
>>
File: 1.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>952902
Thanks for the tips! I'll probably start with a more casual group but might check out groups like that after a few months.
>>952911
The transitway is great. I'm not a student, I've only ridden it a few times, but I love it.
>>952928
Yeah, cruising around the cities and exploring new trails is so much fun.
>>952932
Thanks anon~

Pic not entirely related because it was taken in Utah, but it turned out cool so posting it anyway.
>>
What do you do if someone drops a glass bottle in a bike lane? I ride on Pierce Butler frequently and right now there is the remnants of maybe a Starbucks glass container right in the bike lane. I have thick tires so I probably won't get a flat but I hate feeling like I need to drift into traffic to avoid the glass. Worse the location is just around a corner going up a hill so drivers likely won't see me until late if I am in the driving lane.
>>
>>953240
Clean it up?
>>
File: Lowry Bridge3.jpg (32 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Lowry Bridge3.jpg
32 KB, 720x480
>>
File: 002.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>952586
>>
File: 005.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>953598
>>
File: 014.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
014.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>953599
Loring Park
Friday was my perfect day.
>>
File: 010.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>953601
Getting stoned by the lake=maximum comfy
>>
File: 011.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>953603
THEY TOOK A NAP IN THE SUN! AWWWW!
>>
>>953601
Nice bike!
>>
File: 187.jpg (884 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
187.jpg
884 KB, 2448x3264
>>953606
Thanks, I love my bike. It spends more time between my legs than my GF.
I really wish I couldve biked in the MS ride today. I'm doing the Tour fe Luce later this summer. Any anons know of any othe fun rides happening?
>>
>>953619
Last year I was told about a ride called Oopita Doopita or something similar. It sounded like a really fun ride but I could only find information on rides from a few years earlier. It was supposedly happening again last year but I was never able to find the details. Hopefully they do it again this year.
Any of you guys know anything about it?
>>
Yesterday I saw some guy on the Greenway with a sign hanging off the back of his junkheap; "I already know you're on my left"

This evening I had some guy blow up at me for not saying "on your left" loudly enough. For this perceived slight, he proceeded to intentionally swerve into my path and shout at me.

Five minutes later, I saw some mook around the lakes who kept braking - not by applying brakes - but by putting both of his fucking feet on the ground.

Pretty disappointing. Going to ride other parts of town for a while and give the voting public a chance to get their bikes back into the garage.
>>
>>953635
>This evening I had some guy blow up at me for not saying "on your left" loudly enough. For this perceived slight, he proceeded to intentionally swerve into my path and shout at me.
Fuck that faggot. When I ride I am going fast enough that if I were to say "on your left" when passing the average casual, I would have to either say it early enough that I'd be so far away they wouldn't even hear me, or I'd have to say it late enough (right once I get in earshot of them) that they won't even have time to react. I'm not saying I'm the fastest, I'm usually not even on a road bike, but I ride at like 17-18mph and the fucking casuals go half that.
I only say "on your left" if it makes sense. If the person I'm passing is going almost as fast as me, giving plenty of time, then I sometimes will. Or if dumbasses are walking/riding side by side taking up the whole trail; but then I'll sometimes just go off the trail to pass if there's room.

>be riding on East River Parkway
>some dumbass woman walking right in the fucking middle of the trail, walking erratically, probably a little further to the left than the right as I get to her
>so I try to pass her on the right
>right as I try to pass her she moves over to the right and forces me further over
>almost forces me to fall down this steep hill that's almost a drop off towards the river
>then she has the audacity to get mad at me
Fuck that cunt.
>>
>>953635
what a mook anyway ? i dunno what that is
>>
>>953635
maybe the guy braking with his feet had legit brake issues. What bike was it?
>>
>>953773

Seems likely. Looked like a typical BSO and sounded like it was having derailleur issues too. If your brakes are so fucked that you can't use them at ALL, you should really not be riding lake Calhoun on a weekend.

I was half-tempted to stop him, drag him to a tool station, and fix that shit. But he looked like the kind of wifebeater-wearing subhuman who would take that as an affront to his masculinity.

>>953756
>I only say "on your left" if it makes sense.

This is exactly my policy.

I'm way past getting mad at normal forms of trail stupidity. If someone is moving erratically, I generally slow down and wait to pass until the situation clarifies itself. Best case scenario I get a bonus sprint interval. Worst case I get to work on my track-standing. No fucks given. When Igottagofast I'm in the road or on a low-use trail anyway.
>>
File: now this is podracing.jpg (304 KB, 2844x1690) Image search: [Google]
now this is podracing.jpg
304 KB, 2844x1690
>>953799
>mfw riding Lake Calhoun on a May weekend without brakes
>>
>>953799
>I was half-tempted to stop him, drag him to a tool station
>drag him to a tool station
>tool station
>tool
>station
>TOOL
>FUCKING
>STATION
>not carrying a multitool when you ride
>>
>>953843

I've been riding five thousand miles a season for two decades and I've never once needed a multitool.

Maybe someday I will.
I'll take that chance, because there is absolutely no consequence other than - at the absolute most - a couple miles of walking.
>>
>>953905
>five thousand miles a season
So 20,000 a year, or you're a summer-only cyclist?
>at the absolute most - a couple miles of walking
>never more than a couple miles from home
A
FUCKING
CASUAL
>>
>>953931

Summer-only. Though I've been gradually kitting up and hardening up to try my hand at year-round. Been doing a lot more 30-40 degree days this year.

>>never more than a couple miles from home

no...

>rarely more than a couple miles from a bike shop

you can ride the whole fucking Luce Line and never be more than about 10 miles from something. I usually don't carry a flat kit either. I simply don't mind hiking out. This is fucking Minneapolis. If I was riding the Maah Daah Hey I would carry appropriate equipment.

I ride four or five days a week. So yeah, that makes me a casual by some standards. Probably not yours.
>>
>>953946
>you can ride the whole fucking Luce Line and never be more than about 10 miles from something.
Not true. And even if it was true, are you also one of those faggots that only does afternoon rides? Night is the best fucking time to ride and then the shops are closed
>by some standards. Probably not yours.
Depends on how far you ride those 4-5 days. 50km average? Yeah, casual by my standards. 150km average? No, that's pretty good.
>>
>>953948

Night rides are pretty great, yeah. I don't usually ride for distance or speed at night though - I have places to go.

I tend towards 30-50 mile rides most days - as close to maximum intensity as I can keep it, the whole way. That's just the kind of riding my body is best at, and which I most enjoy. If that makes me a casual in your eyes, that's your problem.
>>
>>953949
No, that's your problem, because it makes you a faggot. 30-50 miles 4-5 days a week, let's say average 40 miles 4.5 days a week, is 180 miles a week. And you said you only ride during summer. That's 2348 miles per year, not 5000. GET REKT
>>
>>954012

Jesus Christ you're autistic.
Why are you even here?
>>
>>954019
>using the 'autistic' meme buzzword
I'm here because I enjoy 4chan and I enjoy cycling. /n/ is my home board. I love /n/. I browse /n/ every single day. I even have an /n/ jersey.
>>
File: Lowry Bridge.jpg (126 KB, 1140x500) Image search: [Google]
Lowry Bridge.jpg
126 KB, 1140x500
GROUP /n/ RIDE

MAY 21st

12:00pm
Meet at 44.9465134,-93.3181422
Free death cage parking on weekend days at the parking lot there for the anons who live too far away to ride from home.
>>
>>954291
Have people done /n/ rides before? h-how fast do they go?
>>
>>954309
Not that I know of. I don't know how fast we'll go, but I typically ride at like 16-19mph. But that's on my steel bikes, I have a carbon racer now, so I'll be faster if I ride that. If other anons are slower that's fine, I'm willing to go slower. If other anons are faster I'll try not to get dropped.
>>
File: Minneapolis6.jpg (291 KB, 1214x612) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis6.jpg
291 KB, 1214x612
>>
>>952198
..listen, buddy, I don't know who you are or what kind of cycling you do. Me, I'm a road cyclist on a local team. I train 6 days a week, and in a normal week the 7th day is in the gym doing core strengthening. Yesterday I did 30 minutes continuous at Threshold, a new PR for me. Looking at doing a TT this year, for the first time since I got hurt a few years back, and I think I can win one, or at least place in the top 5. Not bragging, just establishing who I am and what I'm about. Long rides at Threshold are no picnic.

There are two kinds of cyclists: Competitors, and everyone else. I don't care what kind of bike we're talking about, or what terrain you ride on, or how many days or how many miles a week, everyone falls into one of those two categories. The riders who are not competitors? They'll back off if it's starting to get uncomfortable. Why? Because they have *no reason* to push themselves that hard. In terms of training zones, if they push past Endurance and into Tempo or beyond, they won't stay there for more than a very short amount of time before backing off, because it's *uncomfortable* for them, and they don't feel the need to go that fast.

Competitors? They aren't pushing themselves to the point of it being abject suffering for no good reason, they know that on the other side of that suffering, there are *gains*. They know that as the mesocycles go by, they'll be able to go a little faster and a little longer because of that suffering, and they know that from those gains, comes getting that much closer to winning races, or that town-line sprint, or being first to the top of that big climb on the weekly fast group ride, or whatever it is that, for them, translates into 'competition'. Usually it's about some race or another, but it can even mean being the first to the top of that one big climb on the weekly group ride, or just beating your own PR on a set course you ride alone every week. There's a challenge, and they feel the need to meet it.
>>
Don't you love it when you hit the wall on a race and it feels like your legs and lower back are on fire and the crowd just pushes your mental capacity to the limit?
>>
>>954484
Yeah I love it when I'm racing and I am not looking where I go and smash right into a wall
Hitting the wall is so much fun
>>
>>954484
yep, happened to me on sunday. Won that fucker too.
>>
>>954491
Congrats, anon! What type of race, and what cat?
>>
>>954495
A mud race with a calico cat
>>
File: Minneapolis9.jpg (233 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis9.jpg
233 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: Elm Creek2.jpg (203 KB, 800x597) Image search: [Google]
Elm Creek2.jpg
203 KB, 800x597
>>
File: 143212.png (133 KB, 562x472) Image search: [Google]
143212.png
133 KB, 562x472
>>954473
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>956147
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you fat lazy cager? I’ll have you know I placed top of my age group in the local Cat 1 race, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on /o/, and I have over 300 confirmed Cat 6 victories. I am trained in endurance cycling and I’m the top rider in the entire Tour De France pantheon. You are nothing to me but just another cager. I will wipe you the fuck out with speed the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me on my home board? Think again, cager. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of cyclists across the USA and your license plate number is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that hydroplanes out the pathetic little thing I call your death cage. You’re fucking rekt, fatass. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can BTFO your death cage in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my u-lock. Not only am I extensively trained in u-lock combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Cycling Team and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable cage off the face of the road, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn death cager. I will shitpost furiously all over your home board /o/ and your death cage threads will 404 in it. Get fucking rekt, cager.
>>
File: 1459382497528.jpg (22 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1459382497528.jpg
22 KB, 258x258
>tfw I live in Plymouth and there's no good way to get around by bike
>>
File: 057.jpg (542 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
057.jpg
542 KB, 960x1280
>>954291
Im down dude! ill see you there.
>>
StP needs some love too. did a long ride up to Battle Creek today. I'm not usually a train guy, but going up the Samuel Morgan trail and seeing all those cool Canadian Pacific and old BNSF engines makes me want to get into Trains.
>>
File: 060.jpg (987 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
060.jpg
987 KB, 2448x3264
>>957466
forgot my pic...
>>
>>957466
Fuck yeah. I love the stretch (not sure if it's still technically the Samuel Morgan trail that far east) just east of downtown St Paul that goes between a river of barges and a railroad. /n/ as fuck right there. Then riding up the hill and past the burial mounds then down that awesome as fuck hill down to the end of the Bruce Vento trail. That hill is fun as FUCK.
>>
File: Minneapolis11.jpg (158 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Minneapolis11.jpg
158 KB, 800x600
>>954291
>>954291
>>954291
REMINDER

GROUP RIDE THIS SATURDAY

Find me, I'll be wearing my /n/ jersey
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.