[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
another single speeder thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: fixie-bike-2.jpg (42 KB, 540x359) Image search: [Google]
fixie-bike-2.jpg
42 KB, 540x359
Can someone explain me why you should get a single speeder?

I can understand the argument that the power you put into the pedals, has only about 5 % energy loss to the final movement of the wheel.
But derailleur bikes have ALMOST the same, only huge difference is at cheap hub gears.

So i tought, well maybe because they are minimalistic, prob. they are cheaper? Well as i see most of them are still sold for the same price as a bike with a good derailleur gear. WTF?

Tell me why people buy this?
>>
File: 2016-04-23 05.27.51 1_resized.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-23 05.27.51 1_resized.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>951500
Because they are fun to ride and work on. They're simple and low maintenance. They're usually, not always, cheaper to build up for comparable quality components. Did I mention that they are just fun?
>>
As it happens, Saint Sheldon had something to say
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
>>
Because your chain doesn't slap around when you jump curbs, and because you can throw it on the ground on the drivetrain side without worrying about a bent RD. Among a lot of other things.
>>
>>951501
well the maintenance is an argument, thanks.
But this still doesnt explain the high cost! I would understand if the price was low tough!
>>
>>951510
Well if you buy it off of the shelf, you'll pay more than you should.

Also, the frame will cost you the same and then you'll pay more or you'll pay less depending on the quality of components. I spent more on mine because I went with H+Son rims and VO hubs, IRD cranks, White Industries freewheel, Nitto stem, Nitto bars, Campagnolo seatpost, TRP levers and a few other things.

I could have went cheap and it would have been far less. It's all up to you. If you buy it off of the shelf, you're probably over paying.
>>
>>951510
Hipster tax.
>>
>>951500
1. Most people want to 'just ride', and somehow they think having 8 to 11 cogs in the back and 2 or 3 chainrings in the front is 'too complicated'.

1a. They want to ride a bike like they had when they were a kid for nostalgic reasons.

2. "I want to be Cool like all my friends so I got a bike just like theirs. Otherwise they'll make fun of me."

3. Actually being a track rider, and wanting to ensure that all your riding is track-centric. Note that this accounts for a tiny fraction of a percent of all fixed-gear/single-speed riders.

Otherwise there really isn't much in the way of rational reasons to ride one.
>>
>>951500

Their fun.

/thread
>>
>>951510
Buy an old bike and convert it yourself. No need to buy a brand new state or felt.
>>
My reason was that I needed something to comute with, and I was tired of having to lube my chain every time it rained and having to replace expensive parts. I can ride my fixed gear for weeks without maintenance and it'll still work fine.
>>
as a courier i love the arguments from fixiefags who actually believe that a fixie or just a singlespeed is anyhow cheaper and easier to maintain. its just bullshit and you would know if you'd used a geared bike and a singlespeed/fixie for a longtime period just to compare
>>
>>951548
>as a courier
Do you want a cookie?
>>
>>951564
only if its vegan and oreo pl0x
>>
>>951548
Bullshit. You would know this, if you actually used a bike now and then.
>>
>>951548
Wrong. As a courier your opinion means nothing. You are a pizza delivery boy.
>>
you dont need gears if you ride in a flat area, there is only a couple of extra seconds of acceleration time between single speed and geared bike
>>
File: 20160425_132924-1.jpg (2 MB, 2903x1723) Image search: [Google]
20160425_132924-1.jpg
2 MB, 2903x1723
Durability, low maintenance, and low cost, are pretty much the only reasons. It's also kind of nice not worrying about shifting when you're in stop and go traffic in the city.
>>
>>951572
all oreos are vegan senpai
>>
>>951510
Mantainance isn't an argument there is simply less parts
There is no derailleur to worry about
The most troublesome problem would be brake cables or something and even then it's no big deal
>>
>>951548

this guy is actually right.
and most of you people will realise this sometime.
the only reasonable singlespeed is a nice simple non prestigeous ratty conversion.

anthing designated fixie or singlespeed is ridiculously expansive and usually not great in any way.
what are the advantages of 120mm spacing outside the velodrome?
and why dose the stuff needed to singlespeed a cassett cost as much as a decent 10 speed cassett if your thrifty.
whats with " singlespeed cranks" and all that bullshit.

a fixie or a singlespeed is a fun bike project and a great learning experience and depending on your city it's great to have a nice ss rat bike.
but don't act like it's a supirior lifestyle choice.

get a semi decent steel roady and 1x10 that, then add a riser and slap a pizza rack on there.

or I dunno , do what ever you like.
>>
>>952067
>but don't act like it's a supirior lifestyle choice.
No one itt did this.
>>
>>951957
>maintenance isn't an argument because there's less maintenance

less parts = less shit that goes wrong = less maintenance
>>
File: 1462308779751-1450032161.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1462308779751-1450032161.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
I bought an old trek from Craigslist that someone turned into a fixie. I'm not a fan of fixed gears, so I swapped the wrecked wheelset with a single-speed variant.

I plan on swapping the rear hub with a coaster brake someday so I can get the aesthetics that fixed riders like, but maintain the ability to brake easily.

I like single speeds because they're simple and look a little cleaner.
>>
>>952076

well that's nice then
>>
>>952089
Coaster brakes are annoying. Particularly when you need to work on the rear wheel. A rear caliper would look and be nicer, imo.
>>
>>952093
A front caliper would be even better and cleaner
>>
>>952096
Look closer.
>>
>>952099
Ah, my bad. I usually don't open >3MB pictures.
>>
>>951500
The point of single speeds isn't efficiency, or cost, or even reliability.
It's about fun.
I rode a single speed / fixie (flip flop hub) for 2 years commuting in a hilly city, and on a 600 mile loaded tour through the alps. Here's my $0,02:

>It's a fun way to ride.
>It works surprisingly well even on steep uphills.
>It's more exhausting.
>It's not significantly lower maintenance, more rugged, lighter or cheaper.
>I constantly had to explain why I do it, and I really couldn't.
>After those 2 years, even the 105 shifters I got now feel WRONG and ANNOYING.
>>
>Simpler maintenance.
>Less stuff to break.
>Aesthetics.
>>
File: skeletor.jpg (80 KB, 873x545) Image search: [Google]
skeletor.jpg
80 KB, 873x545
>>951500
>>
>>952067
>and why dose the stuff needed to singlespeed a cassett cost as much as a decent 10 speed cassett if your thrifty.
whats with " singlespeed cranks" and all that bullshit.

Lifestime, thats it. A geared bike is geared because of a Front and Rear derailleur and a goddamn Cassette, thats all what it makes geared and lets face the truth: You need a new RD? No problem, the technology hasn't been improved since Campagnolo introduced their paralelogram derailleurs and with Shimanos indexing they even made it worst, but, since then.. No improvements. So any "cheap" RD for like 30 bucks is enough. Front derailleur? Hell one of the best i've ever used was the DA 9000 and it was roughly about 50 bucks. New cassette? As long as you don't need to shred weight there is seriously no fucking difference, its just about 15 bucks. And thats actually it when it comes to maintain, its nowhere near expensive compared to a stupid Fixie/Singlespeedbullshitbike. On a fixie you easily fuck the tyres quicker than any other bike, on a Singlespeed with a single freewheel you fuck the freewheel pretty quick due less bearings and worse technology than a simple cassette hub.. And this goes on and on and on and on
>>
>>952165
Apparently I need to start a fish folder so I can appropriately respond to all the posts like this on /n/
>>
>>952133

10 years ive been doing this
>>
Can you climb hills with these while also having speed on level terrain?
>>
>>952240
If you want the best performance, single speed is not for you.
Can you ride a bike as fast as a car on a highway? No, but that doesn't mean cycling is inferior to driving. Same with single speed vs. geared.
>>
I have a geared bike but wanted to take on a single speed project. I love it. I've learned so much about chain line, converting a cassette to a single with a conversion kit. I also love how simple it is (and looks). It just looks much cleaner. I've also noticed it's a bit lighter as well. Without a double and dwraiullers it's much lighter. No chain slap is awesome and not having to worry to shift is great. It's much quieter riding experience.
>>
>>952089
What hub was in the wrecked wheelset? Was it repairable?
>>
>>951952
Just converted my MTB to singlespeed yesterday. My finger is still reaching for the phantom shifter when I begin pedalling.
>>
File: 1359775398473.jpg (56 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
1359775398473.jpg
56 KB, 390x470
>>952089
>coaster brake
>aesthetics
>>
because the only speed i need to do is go, you fucking nerd.
>>
>>951506
>you can throw it on the ground on the drivetrain side without worrying about a bent RD
That's about the only pro-ss argument I've ever seen.
So if you're over 6 years old, then no, there's no reason to get a ss.

>>951501
>low maintenance.
Compared to what? Bicycles in general have an incredible use-to-maintenance ratio compared to almost any other form of transportation.
And most of the maintenance for any kind of bike is in the tubes/tires.

>>951522
>Actually being a track rider,
Ok, this is valid.

>>951952
>kind of nice not worrying about shifting when you're in stop and go traffic in the city.
Then don't shift. You aren't obligated to shift just because you've got a regular road bike.

>>952093
>Coaster brakes are annoying
..and rear brakes of any kind aren't particularly effective.

Thee's no great reason to ride a ss, but under the right conditions, there's no reason not to, either.
In the end, just do what you like *because* you like it, and don't try to pretend everybody else just isn't on your level.
>>
I use my single speed for commuting year round, because when ice and snow get up in the cassette, the chain skips off on a geared bike, and the derailleurs are low to the ground and prone to rust.

so for me, I don't see many advantages other than Canadian winter riding, but its a massive advantage there which is like 8 months of the year for me.
>>
File: Ebin.png (2 MB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
Ebin.png
2 MB, 1440x810
>>952179
HEP! HEP! HEP!
XDXDXD

I fucking love Skeletor.
>>
>>951528
whose fun exactly?
>>
>>951500
Reliability is the only reason. If you commute or use a bike for your job go with single speed.
>>
File: 0511160919~2.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0511160919~2.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
This seems like the most relevant thread to post my question in. I got a bike out of the garbage the other day, and it's in pretty tough condition. Structurally it's sound, rust is only on the outside, I didn't spy any inside the tubing.

I kind of want to go for a fixed gear build. I've never had one before, and I figure it will be a pretty safe bet because if I don't like it I can sell it for what I paid in parts, and if I do like it then I've got a new commuter that I don't have to worry about too much.

I need recs for cheap but good parts to throw on it to get it going.

I was thinking about doing the $99 dollar Vuelta track wheelset. Throwing a cheap set of Tektro brake levers on there and attaching a front brake. I'll drill out the fork to accept a more modern recessed side pull. I mostly need to know what cranks to look at. Doesn't have to be anything stellar.
>>
>>954859
>drill out the fork
this might be not so much good idea, you don't want to weaken your fork crown
>>
>>954896
People do it all the time, it's no big deal.
>>
>>954859

drilling out the fork is allright , I did it on two frames.
I think I even red something from sheldon about that, not quite sure though.

depending on where you are , get so used wheels.
if you're in england , look on lfgss.com they throw around nice beater wheels for like 30 pound.
>>
>>954918
Yeah I read it on Sheldon and like five other places
>>
>>954859
Cant stand those dropouts..
>>
>>951500
Nostalgia and track riding are the only legit reasons to ride single speed. In all other cases, a three speed IGH is superior.
>>
>>951500
I have a single speed, mini-velo with a foam liner in the rear tire

it's less maintence, and i can thrash on a cromoly single speed harder than i can with my road bike worth upwards of 2500+

the mini velo was only $650 all said and done, only thing that is superflous is the twine chainstay guard because i jump it off so many curbs and pot holes my frame was starting to get knicked up and didn't want it to look shit
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.