[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I will be changing my mountain bike's tires for some street
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: nicky3.jpg (169 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
nicky3.jpg
169 KB, 1000x750
I will be changing my mountain bike's tires for some street tires. Pic related

It uses 26x2'' tires. Is it ok to use slightly larger tires on the same wheels? Any tire suggestions?
>>
>>950806

Direct your question to /bqg/

Delete this thread, please.
Thank you.
>>
File: foamer.jpg (824 KB, 766x1099) Image search: [Google]
foamer.jpg
824 KB, 766x1099
>>950810
Disregard the angry foamer/shipfag/whatever

/n/ is for bicycles
>>
>>950816
I agree that /n/ is for bicycles, but since this is the slowest board on earth there's no need to start new threads for questions that have a place of their own in the BQG thread.
Polite sage, please redirect question and delete.
>>
File: tire width chart.png (17 KB, 400x207) Image search: [Google]
tire width chart.png
17 KB, 400x207
>>950806
You have to still use 26", but you can go wider. Partly depends on rim width, see pic related. Also partly depends on the frame/fork -- make sure there is enough clearance so the tires won't rub in the frame/fork or front derailleur.
>>
Yes, it's okay, as long as your frame has enough clearance. Get some Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and forget about punctures forever.
>>
>>950806
Using a Nicolai, especially one with a coil shock, for street use is just blasphemous and you should probably end your life right now.
>>
>>950806

OP what the actual fuck.

>>950846
This dude is 100% correct. OP needs to kill himself
>>
>>950846
Coil shocks are outdated technology, who cares what they are used for anymore? Fuckin downtubes.
>>
>>950817
Ignore this foamer. Due to it being a slow board, the threads last long enough... too long uusually.
The foamer just wants this to be a train reddit so give them no thought.
>>
>>950946
Ain't gonna bite, dude.

Ain't gonna bite. :)
>>
>>950810
bump
>>
>>950806
This bike?

Maxxis HookWorm 2.5". Also - using anything less then 2.4" on this bike is a clear sign of raging faggotry.
>>
>>950846
>>950932
How can you be such fascists on /n/ of all places? It's not like he'll be driving a humvee downtown, he just wants to cross curbs and cobblestones in comfort. Also the bike looks badass and I wouldn't mind seeing it in the city.
>>
>>951189
>It's not like he'll be driving a humvee downtown

That's exactly the bicycle equivalent of what he's doing.
>>
>>951189
You clearly know nothing about Nicolai bikes.
Nicolai is german framebuldier with all production in house that takes pride in its beefy frames with perfectly executed welds.
Their bikes are what an Abrams is to a Humvee.
>>
dat crosschaining doe
>>
>>951469
To add to the car analogy: a long travel full suspension mountainbike with thin street tyres is like putting low profile slicks on your Hummer or Landrover. You're broadcasting 'complete twat' on all frequencies.
>>951535
Perfectly cromulent on a mountainbike or modern roadie. Fuck off.
>>
Have fun blowing out the sidwalls of your light commuter tires the first time hop off of a stairset
>>
>>950806
Usually, if your frame/fork clear a certain size of knobby tires, it will clear a slightly larger size of slicks or semi-slicks, since there aren't knobs adding width to the tire.

Observe the size of your current tires, and how much additional clearance you have at the tightest point (usually the chainstays behind the bottom of the seat post in my experience), and make a guess. There's also the trade-off between volume/durability and weight to consider, depending on what your needs are.

Do keep in mind, while some urban tires will make your mountain bike roll a lot more easily, a full suspension is still going to sap a lot of energy when you're pedaling and cornering on paved surfaces.

Also, if pic related is your specific bike, it looks like the rear brake rotor is on backwards. I'm less certain of this as it's not completely clear from the photo perspective, but it looks like the rear rotor is also larger than the front, which is unusual.
>>
>>951539
One would think crosschaining on a triple crankset would embiggen chain wear
>>
You can fit a 1.25 all the way to a 3. As long as you have clearence.

I put 2.4" tires on a 1.25" wide ancient mtb rim and ride it on the trails often.

Dont let people tell you otherwise.
>>
Judging by the travel on that bike it was likely designed for 2.5" wide very knobby tyres.

Be a man and ride trails. You should have no problem taking 5' drops with that burly cocksucker of a frame. I'm guessing it's 160mm travel? Fuckin gum up & giv'r faggot
>>
Highly recommend 26x2 marathon supreme. Rolls like a road racing tire but supremely comfortable. They're cheap at wiggle sometimes
>>
File: 1462983527039.jpg (566 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1462983527039.jpg
566 KB, 2048x1536
>>950806
>nicoalai helium

dude, you own a top end AM beast, put 2.35" on them like Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic and roll.

ps- you dont deserve that bike or nice trolle
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.