[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /n/, I will be coming across a large sum of money (around
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /n/ - Transportation

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
Hello, /n/,

I will be coming across a large sum of money (around $1000) in the coming week. My last bike got stolen last year (a shitty 7200 Trek hybrid) and it is now time to get a new bicycle.

I would like a bike that I can use on trails, gravel, and roads. Thus, I will probably end up getting a cyclocross bike.

Here's the main features I'm looking for:

Here is what I'm looking for:

Under $1000
Endurance geometry
Light
Carbon fork
Wide clearance for bigger tires
Able to change gears on the left handlebar easy
Drops
Don't really care for disc brakes or not

So essentially, what do you believe will be the best cyclocross bike I can get for under $1k? Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
>>
My advice, get a bike fit beforehand so you know exactly what geometry and size to get. That way you'll know for sure that you got the right kind of bike for your body.
>>
You arent going to have many options at only $1000. A quick look on performance bikes even with sale only puts 2-3 bikes under your spending limit... then again I found an awesome deal on my road bike so you can maybe find one.
>>
>>945436

I will be doing this and going to my lbs. I don't want to get a trek or a specialized though cause they are expensive as balls. I might be able to find another lbs that sells other brands.
>>
>>945439

Only $1000? That's a lot...
>>
>>945439
This.

I was going to suggest a Specialized Diverge A1 until I read >>945441

It's true, new bikes are expensive. A nice new bike under 1k just isn't going to happen these days unless you already have tools and can do all the work yourself, and assuming you don't mind mismatched or old-fashioned parts.

Start looking at used options, save your pennies, or find a friend/friendly wrench who can put together a "mechanic's special" for you.
>>
>>945424
>big ring front
>big ring back
>>
>>945452

Yea I suppose I'm going to be looking at craigslist for the time being, there are some options on there like some synapses and a giant defy
>>
What the heck is the difference between an endurance road bike and a cyclocross one?
>>
>>945471
Tyre clearance and sidepull instead of canti. Possibly longer BB drop and head tube height on the roadie.
>>
SALSA VAYA
Might be a little over $1k but worth it
>>
>>945424
Marin Gestalt 1? its under a 1k I think.
>>
>>945508
just checked. guess its more like 1100. but Marin has a couple "endurance" models under a thou. so, not that hard to find, actually.
>>
>>945424
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1185578_-1___

Fuji Tread 1.0/2.0 are great under 1k. Zero regrets on mine.
>>
>>945424
You're going to end up getting a bike that isn't particularly optimal for on-road or off-road if you get a hybrid. I got a Giant Escape because I thought I would go off on trails all the time, but it's definitely more of an on-road bike. Now it's basically a heavy on-road bike with flat bars, wide tires, and a more upright seating position.

Basically, in order for a bike to be viable off-road, it has to sacrifice some things that would be preferred for on-road, regardless of your budget.
>>
>>945745
This is the knowledge level of the average denizen of neo /n/

Look upon this post and despair
>>
>>945445
Aww dont feel bad anon, I got my cx for I think $900. Its a scattante (performance house brand). Its 4130 weighs a ton, and has mechanical discs.

Then again this bike will probably last for a long long time.
>>
File: 1393478373581.gif (703 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1393478373581.gif
703 KB, 500x332
>>945503
>SALSA VAYA

...maybe the frameset
>>
The Cannondale CAADX Tiagra is right on your budget limit, has carbon fork and is <10kg. If you can extend the budget to 1.3k, I would recomend you get the Canyon Inflite 8.0S or the CAADX 105, with the canyon being slightly bettet
>>
>>945749
>Drop bars and a light bike
>Perfectly suited for gravel and rough trails!
>>
>>945771
Aside from the fact that op can't afford a light bike, there is nothing wrong with drop bars and a light bike on trails and gravel, unless you're some kind of 390 pound hamplanet that needs to be on 4.8s on anything less hard than concrete otherwise the entire bike will instantly sink into the ground while sadtrombone.mp3 plays to the delight of onlookers.
>>
>>945771
>wat is cx
Do this board a favour and leave. The average competence level will skyrocket. 'Gravel and singletrack needs flatbar' is one of the most bare-faced stupidities that keeps getting posted here.
>>
>>945766
great rec here
>>
>>945424
Build a bike up yourself
Cheap frame ~ $350
105 5800 ~ $360
Cheap wheels ~ $200
Ritchey classic cockpit ~ $200
>>
>>945773
Hahaha
>>
It looks like I'm leaning more towards an endurance road bike and just switching out tires when I'm gonna be doing rougher rides.

I will be trying a few models at my lbs and will let you guys know what I ended up getting.
>>
>>945811
>spend as much on a cockpit as the wheels
ayyyy i hope u enjoi ur anatomic bars
>>
Get a specialized diverge aluminum. If your in the U.S. There's the sub compact version which is going to run you $850 it's below the a1 but the only difference is the crank and brake model. You'll most likely have to have the lbs order it since most only carry the A1 which will run $1100. Great bike and very comfortable gravel grinder
>>
>>945776
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 20160413_140152-1.jpg (2 MB, 2878x1737) Image search: [Google]
20160413_140152-1.jpg
2 MB, 2878x1737
If you can ride well, you can hit pretty difficult trails really fast. And cx bikes are amazing for climbing off-road and on. Overall, they are faster than xc bikes for your everyday ride
>>
How wide are we talking for tires? UCI race compliant? 40 mm? Full on monstercross?
>>
OP here.

Ok, so I have dialed it down between two choices:
Redline Conquest Comp
Specialized Diverge Sub-compact

What would you pick for some gravel roads, light trails, and with a more comfortable geometry? I'll definitely be saving some money on the Conquest, but the Diverge seems to be more leaning towards road riding, which I will be doing mostly.
>>
>>946420
Ride both and pick the one that feels best to you. You can swap parts, you can't change the geometry
>>
File: WATSON_00001362-6691.jpg (404 KB, 938x1409) Image search: [Google]
WATSON_00001362-6691.jpg
404 KB, 938x1409
>>946002
>cx bikes are amazing for climbing on road

I take it you've never ridden a road bike.
>>
>>946420
Definitely the Redline: better brakes, better shifters, otherwise those two bikes are very similar. Only thing I don't like on the Redline are the tires, but that's easily changed later if you find you don't care for them.
>>
>>946420
Those two have VERY different geometries. Also the gearing is very different, with the Specialized being more for casual riding, and the redline being more for cx racing.

There's really no substitute for riding both.

If you have any intention of ever racing, go with the Redline.

If it comes to a tie, go with the Redline, for the reasons anon gave.
>>
>>945445

Yeah, you can almost get a proper frame from sale with that.
>>
>>945771

Drops are better for pretty much anything. Straight bars are a meme from motorcycling where you need to have your hands on the throttle all the time and can't have multiple hand positions, unlike in cycling.
>>
>>945424
Get the giant talon 2.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/talon.27.5.2/22213/84066/#specifications

like deore components similar to many of the other mountain bikes even on higher end ones (relatively). You get that Shawdow clutch which is nice for trails so less of that chain slap, and a dece fork for that price, hydro discs. Hardtail too, not too heavy.
>>
OP here.

I've come across someone selling a used Redline Conquest Elite 54cm for $950 locally on craiglist. He says he's barely ever ridden it. It has champagnolio chorus, tubeless stans no tube iron cross wheels with specialized tires, carbon fiber frame. I'm pretty damn sure that 54cm is my size.

Should I just immediately scoop it up? I've seen these bikes retail for $1500+
>>
>>946420
Man you really need to try the fit for those two. Very different. I'd be inclined to get the redline but can't say it will even be comfortable for you.
>>
>>946822 here, oops, missed last post.

>>946714
I'd go try it out, seems like an ok deal but CF isn't something I'd feel great buying used. I like my carbon fork but I don't think i'd buy it or a frame secondhand, makes me nervous.
>>
Check ebay. Its the best place to buy used bikes IMO

I bought a felt f1x for under $800 last year
>>
>>946822
>>946824

Ok well I will take your guys advice and test ride something, the problem is that there are no redline conquests anywhere near me, or at any stores. And the guy who is selling it is alot farther away from me than i thought.

What do you think will be a similar bicycle with similar geometry I can test ride? Something like a 54cm cyclocross (CAADX or something)?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out! I really don't want to pass up on this deal as it's the cheapest carbon fiber frame I will ever find. My roadbike size is between 56cm and 54cm.(Trek domane)
>>
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/omnistrada-expert-discbrake-bike.htm
>>
>>946829
I think I'm about out of advice. Never tried the CAADX but looks like it could be similar. >>946830
is probably a good deal. I'd change the tires to something less total off road/gravel pretty quick though it's cool that it comes tubeless stock IF you're interested in that. Same thing applies, I'm wary of buying a bike without trying it for fit first anymore. If you aren't comfortable, the details like groupset/weight/stiffness... they don't make up for it, at least for me.
>>
Thanks everyone for your help, this is the bike that I ended up getting.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/turinoelite-discbrake-roadbike.htm in black

I just cant beat the price anywhere else. Alum frame, carbon fork, endurance geometry, clearance for bigger tires, claris. I'm extraordinarily excited. When I'm done building it, I will let you guys know how it turned out. I'm also positive I got my size as the ttl is as long as my roadbike.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.